“Possibly my Favourite Coffee Shop...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Freemans - CLOSED

Freemans
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Guildford
“Possibly my Favourite Coffee Shop...”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Freemans is quite possibly my favourite coffee shop and that's saying something since it's got some stiff competition, especially in Edinburgh where there are many excellent coffee shops. I loved everything about it from the large, open spaces and comfortable chairs through the outstanding coffee all the way to the lovely cakes. I can't comment on the food since I haven't had a chance to try it, but the menu looks very good. The flapjack I had might have been the best I've ever tried!

There are lots of options for coffee; the usual espresso-based drinks, including a decaf options and for the enthusiasts, two guest coffee beans available as V60 filter or a cafetiere. You can also order a Chemex for two. If I didn't live more than 400 miles away I suspect I'd be in here all the time!

Reading, United Kingdom
“The best hot chocolate!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stumbled across Freemans and decided to give it a try, we weren't disappointed! The hot chocolate was one of the best I have ever tasted. Although we didn't eat anything the food it all looked delicious and homemade, and it wasn't priced out of range like some of the other coffee shops in the area.
Big comfy chairs were perfect to tuck away in and read a book, although the place is obviously very child friendly and got a bit noisy (a big blackboard wall was causing a lot of excitement!).
Would recommend for families or as a place to go for a chatty lunch with friends.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An excellent twist on the old coffee shop theme!”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We went to Freeman's as it was recommended by a friend who had visited recently. It was a 10 min walk through the park south from the city centre and into the student area, but utterly worth it. A real coffee lovers find. Excellent relaxed art house feel. Welcoming and chatty staff. Fresh and interesting coffee's and food with real attention to detail in ingredients and presentation. Sandwiches were thick and well filled with original flavours. The menu's were a nice touch, being stuck inside old children's books such as Peter Rabbit. Nice.
Recommend to anyone passing through. I would certainly go again and take a good book with me! Free wifi also.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best coffee in Edinburgh”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Every morning my wife and I treat ourselves to an excellent coffee and as a result, we have built up a great knowledge of good coffee houses. Freemans is outstanding, not just for their coffee but the ambience, the home baking and the friendly relaxed style of management. Its always a pleasure to visit and we are never disappointed.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Place - best to not tell the world”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

There are a number of coffee shops in the area - Victor Hugo, Black Medicine, Coffee House (No39). However, Freemans stands heads and shoulders above these. A truly fantastic coffee shop with a great atmosphere and character. The owner is engaging and accommodating and the staff friendly.

They serve great breakfast - scrambled eggs on toast with a variety of options and there is always a great array of people from students, professionals and young mothers with the children - all blend effortlessly in this unique establishment. What's not to like... Free wifi too.

Dr Jones