“Lovely place to stay”

Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel
Ranked #23 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just home from 2 nights at Princes Street premier inn. Absolutely brilliant. Lovely breakfast and so handy for shops, station and tourist attractions. Would recommend it. We were lucky enough to have a Castle view as well and although we were above Princes Street we weren't disturbed by any traffic noise.

• Stayed: October 2013
ARiva1, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Diane B,

Thanks so much for your lovely review, it's so rewarding for us when our guests take the time to share such positive feedback!

I am delighted that you were able to benefit from a room overlooking Edinburgh Castle, it really is a beautiful view and fabulous to hear that you weren't disturbed by the traffic noise.

Your comments are really appreciated and help reaffirm with the team what a great job they are doing. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

opsmgr.edinburghprincesstreet@whitbread.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,799)

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Central location for shopping and sightseeing. Rooms spotless. Breakfast fine. Lovely bar area to have a coffee in evening. Would try and get a room with a view though! Check-in yourself, though staff very good at helping.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Lynn R,

Thanks for your lovely review Lynn.

I am really pleased that you had a great stay with us, I agree our bar area is lovely to relax in with our lovely views it's very pretty when lit up in the evening.

Thank you for noting the cleanliness standards in your room, I am very proud of the standards delivered by our housekeepers - they really do take a great deal of pride in their work and it is lovely for them when our guests recognise that.

I really hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed here on business in October 2013.

The hotel is very much on-brand for Premier Inn. The staff were friendly and helpful, rooms clean and up to standard. I

f you're looking for a straightforward stay in comfortable and reasonably priced surroundings, this is the place to head. There are hundreds of independent hotels in Edinburgh and I'm sure many have more character than this Premier Inn.. but this still remains an excellent choice when I'm travelling with work- I can check in late and leave really early and know exactly what the room I've booked will be like.

I arrived in Edinburgh after staying in another Premier Inn in Dundee. In comparison, this one looked a little tired and the decor in the room could have done with a bit of freshening up. The most important thing for me is cleanliness and that was excellent.

The on-site restaurant was fine, staff very friendly and welcoming. Whitbread seems to go out of its way to make sure staff at these sites know how to warmly welcome solo travellers to their hotel and restaurant sites, and it does keep me coming back.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Bp83,

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased you had a lovely stay with us, everyday we work to deliver clean and comfortable rooms, great value and a team that really care about your experience and I am very proud that you found this to be the case.

We really do put a lot of emphasis on trying to ensure all of our guests have a fantastic stay and the team do try to ensure that our single travellers are equally warmly welcomed, it can't be fun travelling alone and we do try to understand that.

I really hope that we can welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Everything you should expect from a hotel of this type. Our bedroom view was just into an office block with no opening window. Although it was almost November and no heating on it was too warm in the bedroom, we set the air con as low as we could (19 degrees) but then it was still too warm but draughty!!
The facilities are as you would expect, everything you need, functional, though must say the bathroom was very nice, seemingly newly refurbed. Must agree with comments that there is not enough storage space - just one deep drawer, some shelves but a couple of these were taken up with the TV and the tea/coffee making facilities. Some hanging space, but not enough especially as ours was a family room. Not everyone is a one-night business user. Longer stays could prove quite problematic with regard to storage space. The room itself was a reasonable size though.
However, must say the staff members we encountered were all friendly and very helpful.
A good position, but if coming in from Airport, get off at the Charlotte Square stop, just before the bus enters Princes Street, this is much closer than the George Street or Waverley Bridge stop.
We enjoyed our stay and the breakfasts too. The view from the dining area was lovely, straight across to the castle.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth S

Dear Elizabeth S,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, it really means a lot to us when our guests take the time to share their experiences.

I'm delighted that you found my team to be so helpful, they really work very hard to try to make sure all of guests have a fantastic stay with us. I am sorry that you felt the room didn't have the storage space you would have expected, I shall of course share your comments with our property design team for consideration in future refurbishments.

I appreciate that the sealed window unit is not to everyone's tastes, however the benefit to this is the significant reduction in external noise, most of our guests find that the 19 degree setting is cool enough particularly as Edinburgh is usually pretty chilly! Again, I will ensure that your feedback is directed to our maintenance team.

I really value your comments as it gives us an opportunity to reflect on the suitabilty of the services we provide. I really hope that we can welcome you back to Edinburgh again in the future.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I fear that this hotel is the victim of exaggeration. It really is not excellent and is not even very good. It is a very average budget hotel. It is in a reasonably good place, though down the relatively scruffy end of Princes Street, and a good walk with a suitcase from the station. Only a very few of the rooms have a view of the castle. Most have a grim view of nearby offices and the like. The windows in the rooms do not open so there is no fresh air. As usual in this chain the storage in the room is lamentable. There is no possibility of unpacking a suitcase and no suitcase stand either. There is no safe. The bathroom was simple but clean. The walls of our room were grubby, which is unsurprising as there is scarcely room to walk round the bed with the suitcase open on the floor! There is no mirror over the simple dressing table, which is carefully designed without drawers. To use the hair dryer you have to stand near the mirror by the door. The colour scheme - that horrible signature purple - is very drab. There was no comfortable chair in the room - the one tub armchair was remarkably uncomfortable. At least the bed was reasonably comfy. The reception staff were charming enough but did little more than help us operate the ghastly and impersonal computerised check-in system. We didn't eat or drink in the hotel. The bar and restaurant looked soulless but there are dozens of excellent bars, restaurants and cafés within a short walk. I think it is unacceptable to charge for wifi these days. The first half hour free is just not good enough. We came to the conclusion we should have paid a bit more and gone somewhere more upmarket. You get what you pay for in a place like Edinburgh and in the case of this place, that's not much.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Freeman1948
ARiva1, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Freeman1948,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I really value all feedback given as it presents a great opportunity for us to review our standards and services.

I'm really very saddened to hear that you felt your stay did not meet your expectations. You are correct to note that our windows do not open and whilst I do appreciate that isn't to everyone's tastes it does help to eliminate the majority of any external city noise.

I note you comments regarding an in room safe and suitcase stand and I will ensure these are fed back to our property team for consideration in any future refurbishment. I'm glad you found the bed to be comfortable; we do understand how important it is for our guests to get a great nights sleep.

I appreciate your comments regarding the self check in facility, our team are always on hand 24 hours a day to guide our guests through this service and whilst the majority of our guests find this a really quick and easy way to check in, we do understand that not everyone will wish to use this, our Reception Team are more than happy to check you in at our welcome desk if you prefer.

We really do value our guest feedback and at Premier Inn our aim is always to provide comfortable rooms, great value and a team who genuinely care about your experience. I do hope that we can perhaps welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel is a 15-minute, flat walk from the train station. It is located directly across from the castle on the other side of Princes Garden...we had a great view from our Prices St. room. The staff is very helpful, obvioulsy proud of thier city and quickly took care of any needs we had. The walk from here to St, Giles and on to the castle takes about 20-25 minutes. As you move uphill you get a wonderful view of the city buildings. Edinburgh is a great town...you'll love it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
ARiva1, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Rpmc47,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, I really do appreciate it.

I am so pleased we managed to allocate you a castle view room, the views are stunning and I'm sure you'll agree Edinburgh Castle looks just beautiful at night.

Your comments regarding my team are so very rewarding. They are indeed very proud of our location and our wonderful city and they work extremely hard to try to make sure that all of our guests really make the most of their time in Edinburgh and have a fantastic stay with us.

Thanks again for your lovely comments, I really hope that we can welcome you back to Premier Inn again in the future.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and no regret booking this hotel.

The location of this hotel is next to the best. It is located on the west side of Princes Street, about 5 - 10 minutes walk from the Waverly station. You are essentially in the centre of Edinburgh visiting sites and most of the attractions are within walking distance.

The hotel staff were generally nice and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was comfortable and we managed to get some good sleep. They also have a good night sleep guarantee. It would be even better if there was a refrigerator inside the room.

All in all, a very good chain budget hotel with a very reasonable price. Will surely consider recommending friends staying here when they visit Edinburgh.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Aqavenue,

Thank you for your lovely review, it really means a lot when our guests take the time to share their experiences.

I have to agree with you, our location is fabulous. We are very lucky to be in such close proximity to the train station and all that Edinburgh has to offer.

At Premier Inn, we strive daily to deliver great value, clean and comfortable rooms, fantastic service and a good nights sleep for all of our guests and I am delighted that you found this to be the case during your stay.

I really hope that we can welcome you back again soon.