3,141 results
All reviews princes street opposite the castle great location castle view meal deal rose street family room excellent stay budget hotel good nights sleep room was spotless bars and restaurants train station night's sleep would definitely stay here again short break royal mile
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with family as we were visiting a relative in hospital. The hotel is very basic and nothing extra for the price. Wifi was an extra 3 pounds a day for each device but worked well. My room 612 had a nice view of the castle. Bring good walking shoes cause everything is close in sight but far enough to walk. There is no toiletries in the room bar hand soap. There is tea/coffee and hair dryer. The bed was very comfy. good for a short break but was pricey enough at 287 pounds sterling for two nights. The bus from the airport only stops on George street now but is only a short walk.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was quite happy with almost everything here except a couple of annoyances.

The good, first of all. Great location, friendly staff, great breakfasts. Clean room (and cleaned to a high standard every day I was there), mostly typical Premier inn fixtures and fittings. Good noise protection from the outside and solid rooms.

The problems are minor, but need mentioning.

Firstly, The desk in my room was extremely wobbly. I had to do a fair amount of work in the evenings I was here and the desk didn't reassure me that if I put anything heavier on it than a laptop that it'd hold it too well. Probably just old and in need of replacement. Also, the bed didn't seem like usual Premier Inn standard. It was a little squashy in the middle and felt softer than usual. Not bad, but... like the desk... perhaps just old?

I had a rear facing room, which is fine, but the outside of the window was filthy. Really really grimy and in desperate need of a wash before the Scottish winters set in.

Finally, as another poster has mentioned below, the wi-fi was terrible!!! I've never had so many problems staying connected at a Premier Inn. On all three of my devices, it would drop me, I'd attempt to reconnect, no dice. It'd fail to give me an IP address, the authentication screen would drop out half way, generally just crap. I wouldn't mind but it's a service I'd paid for, and no, I didn't much feel like calling the 10p a minute support line when I'd already paid up. Could be something as simple as a malfunctioning access point on my floor but...meh.

All in all though, despite my complaints above, a good Premier Inn, but certainly not the best. I think it just needs a bit of fixture and fitting renewal. I'll be back, mainly for the location and the price this time though.

But with just a tiny bit of work, this place could be excellent.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have a view of the castle, but may be noisy with Princes Street right there.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
ARiva1, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear James B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Feedback is such an important tool to enable us to continually review the standards and service we are delivering.

I am delighted that the team looked after and you found them to be friendly, they really do try to make sure everyone has everything they need to really enjoy our fabulous city. I am so pleased that you have noted the high standards delivered by our Housekeeping Team, they do work exceptionally hard to maintain these levels of cleanliness and it is so rewarding for them when our guests recognise that.

Following your feedback, I have personally gone round every room today checking the desks that we provide. I have found that there are two or three that could benefit from being replaced and I have actioned that today. I have our mattress supplier coming to visit us next week, following feedback from another couple of guests recently, as our mattresses are only 18 months old and should not be any cause for complaint at this stage in their lifespan, I assure you we will have all of them reviewed for quality and replaced if they do not meet Premier Inn standards.

I am assuming that you have stayed with us within the last 5-7 days, where we have definitely received a poor service from our WIFI service provider. They are unable to clarify exactly what has caused this and therefore this is something that I will continue to monitor in the coming days/weeks, again I really value your feedback as this allows us to challenge our supply partners.

I really do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

opsmgr.edinburghprincesstreet@whitbread.com

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed here last year when in Edinburgh for a friends birthday. Having used Premier before we had a good idea of their standards. As usual staff were efficient, the rooms basic but clean. The location was ideal for exploring Edinburgh centre and we had a great view of the castle. I'd would gladly stay here again if I go back to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear T F

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit and that you would stay with us again.

Our location is fabulous, Edinburgh is such a beautiful and vibrant city and our hotel makes for a fantastic base to fully enjoy everything that Edinburgh has to offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Having read the reviews on this website, we asked for an upper room with a Castle view. We got room 621 - excellent view and at the end of a corridor. In fact 615, 617 & 619 should all have a similar view & being on the top floor it was quiet. Room was clean & tidy. Staff were really friendly & helpful - both on Reception & at breakfast. Only minor negatives we found were: no shaver socket in the room & the cooked breakfast wasn't 'to order' so may have been sat around for a while - it was tasty though. Poached eggs were 'to order' & fresh bacon was brought out when someone complained. Didn't use the Bar or Restaurant as we ate out.

For location, this place is hard to beat. Right, slap bang in the middle of the Princes St shopping area. Rose St & George St are right behind the Hotel & are full of good places to eat & drink - & more shops!

Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor with a Castle view - 615, 617, 619 & 621.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SimpleSimon1971,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I really do appreciate the time taken to give feedback as it's such a valuable tool for us.

I am so pleased you were able to benefit from one of our front facing rooms, 621 is probably one of my favourite rooms in the whole hotel and does give spectacular views. My team are delighted with your comments, they work really hard to deliver high standards in terms of both service and cleanliness and we really value your recognition of this.

For future reference, although there are no shaver sockets in the bathrooms, we do have these available at Reception, please just let us know and we can happily provide this.

Our breakfast is lovely and a great way to start the day before setting off to explore the city. We operate with a buffet service during peak times as this avoids any delays and please be assured that we work to very stringent controls as to how long we leave food on the buffet before discarding, this ensures, as you noted, that the quality of the product is not compromised in anyway.

Thanks again for your feedback, I really hope we can welcome you back again soon.

opsmgr.edinburghprincesstreet@whitbread.com

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We enjoyed our 1 night stay here. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable and we had a perfect nights sleep. The hotel is in a great location! You can walk to pretty much anywhere you need. The Castle is just across the road, shops and restaurants are just around the corner. Perfect :)

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple