Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel
Ranked #22 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Good hotel located in the center of the city. Close to the castle and the Royal Mile, and some other attractions. Good food. Unfortunately our room did not have castle view but it was well seen from the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,874)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

First and foremost, one of the keys to this hotel’s success has to be the wonderful staff. All of the staff we had the pleasure of meeting during our six-night stay, be it in Reception or the Dining Room, were welcoming, relaxed, friendly, genuinely interested in how we were doing and how we spent our day in Edinburgh. Sara, especially, at Reception greeted us very warmly upon our arrival and made our stay a very pleasant one (we requested, and received, a room with a Castle view so our visit was off to a great start). Colum, Louis, Jake and Josh in the Dining Room were all very charming and a real pleasure to meet.

This is a relaxed, quiet and comfortable hotel with cozy beds. The elevator has card controlled access to the floor your room is on, which is a good security measure. Our room was kept very clean and was always pleasantly refreshed upon our return from a day's touring of the city. The evening menu in the dining room was absolutely delicious; for the money the breakfast buffet couldn’t be beat in terms of variety and flavour. As other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is in an excellent location; the Airlink bus from the airport practically stops at the door – just get off at the Castle Street stop and you’ll find the hotel just a few feet from there. This Premier Inn is surrounded by restaurants, stores & amenities on Princes Street and other side streets. Rose Street runs just behind the hotel and is a great place to go if you're feeling hungry or want to check out some interesting shops.

On the downside, though, we constantly found our room far too hot and stuffy. The air conditioning cannot be lowered to less than 19 degrees and the windows are sealed (cannot be opened), so there were a few uncomfortable nights during the unusually warm week of our visit. The reception, hallways and common areas were also very stuffy or uncomfortably warm. There was no clock radio or face cloths in the room, and Premier Inn appears to charge for all phone calls, local or otherwise. Like other reviewers, I had an issue with the ridiculous Wi-Fi allotment of only 30 free minutes a day – in this day and age a mere half hour of Wi-Fi is just being stingy. To overcome this limitation we purchased a week’s worth of Wi-Fi at an additional £10.

While travelling we tend to avoid the big chain hotels, preferring to stay in smaller B&B Hotel-style accommodation. Given its high TripAdvisor rating, though, we decided to give the Princes Street Premier Inn a try and I must say we’re certainly not sorry we booked here. Our stay at this hotel helped make our Edinburgh visit a trip to remember.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanuckTraveller07
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I loved the view and location of this hotel.

Room was very nice and great for the price.

The only down side was the could not assure a wake up call and my room had no alarm clock. BUT...they did call me to wake me up so it worked out!

I would stat here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Recently stayed at the Princes Street location for four nights. We were in room 515 with stunning view of the castle, especially lit up at night. The location is perfect. It is not a far walk from the Royal Mile and George Street shopping is directly behind the hotel. The room was very nice. It had deep tubs, shower, hairdryers and all the needed amenities. I would have like free wifi for my stay instead of 30 minutes each day but that is my only fault. While it was hot in Edinburgh during our stay, I did not find the room to be hot at all. Our air conditioning kept it very cool and being from the South, I appreciate cool air! We stayed at the Witchery by the castle ( very nice, expensive and unique but one night is enough as it is very noisy on the Royal Mile), the Holiday Inn Express Cowgate Royal Mile and the Princess Street location. I much preferred the Premier Inn over Holiday Inn based on room size, cleanliness, they have a bathtub not just shower and the staff was much more accommodating. However, it was nice to stay in both Old Town and New to experience both sides. I booked this hotel strictly due to my trust of these boards as I had never stayed at Premier Inn. I was not disappointed and often am referred to as a "hotel snob". I would not hesitate to stay here again. We did not purchase any of the meal options as Starbucks is directly next door and Rose Street ( directly behind) has many full Scottish breakfast at pubs 2 for 10 pounds.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Luv2travel0512
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We only stayed for one night after our driving holiday around Scotland and returning to Edinburgh (see MacDonald Hollyrood review for first stay in Edinburgh at start of trip). For the price, I thought this hotel was excellent value. It is definitely no frills and you don’t get that personal touch I’ve come to expect in hotels, but didn’t expect that at the price we got the room for. The location is excellent and the room is more than adequate for a short stay (whether that be a night or a few days). Our room looked over Balmoral Castle which was an unexpected treat. I would definitely recommend this hotel based on value, comfort and location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Found the service a little disappointing at this hotel.My sister and I arrived a little early and understood when our room wasn't ready but after being told twice to come back and room still not ready found this very annoying.No apology from staff and although we had emailed requesting room with a view this was not to be. Again staff not very interested in helping.Room was quite stuffy and we were relying on a fan to make ourselves comfortable.Tried to have lunch in the restaurant but booked out .Over all very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: make sure you have receipt of your request for room with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent 5 nights at this hotel, and loved it. I requested a castle view from the room, so they gave us the last room with a view they had, which happened to be the room for dissabled. We went back right away and told them they should keep that room for a dissabled, and we could transfer to a normal room with no view until the next day when they had another room (619) reserved for us for th2 following 4 nights. Well Worth the wait, awesome view of the castle from the room. Breakfast is very nice, glad we took that option. Love the coffee machine, and very nice that during breakfast hours you can take a coffee for take away. It is also very close to the Airport bus stop. Only thing missing from the room is a fridge-minibar, would be a nice addition. Otherwise, money well spent, would not hesitate to recommend it or go back my-self.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 6th floor with view on the castle. Awesome.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple