“Ticked all the boxes”

Ranked #21 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bath, United Kingdom
“Ticked all the boxes”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as a short break with a friend. The day before I arrived, I received an email from one of the reception staff to check my booking details were correct, asking what time I was arriving and with detailed information on how to travel to and find the hotel. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and this is the first time this has ever happened so I was impressed from the start.

We caught the Airlink bus from the airport, which was £6 return and great value for money. Get off at the Castle Street stop, turn left and the hotel is about a 2 minute walk. The entrance is between New Look and Starbucks and the reception desk is on the second floor (via one of two lifts). We were greeted by a lovely friendly man - indeed, all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Our room was on the third floor and the lifts to the rooms can only be accessed by swiping your key card as they're separate to the ones in the lobby.

Our room was clean and quite roomy, with a double and a single bed. The bathroom had a full bath and a big vanity unit, and was spotless. There wasn't much in the way of wardrobe space but that wasn't an issue as we were only staying a short time. There was a full length mirror in the room (which I always appreciate) and the best mirror ever for applying make up, with lights down the sides. I want one of those at home! It's also one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in. I'm a light sleeper when away from home and I didn't hear a soul.

I refuse to pay for wifi but this hotel's rates were the most reasonable of anywhere I've seen (apart from where it's free!) You get 30 minutes per day for free, and you can stop and start during the day until your 30 minutes are used up (rather than having to use it all at once) but it's £3 per day after that.

Princes Street is one long shopping street, overlooking Princes Street Gardens which was lovely to visit and to sit in the sunshine. A short walk around the corner is Rose Street, where there are lots of pubs and restaurants. I had the best pub cod and chips I think I've ever had at The Kenilworth. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to Waverley Station and this is where the hop on/hop off tourist buses depart from.

In summary, I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
North East Of England
Reviewed June 30, 2013

On arrival we found the rooms to be clean, fresh and suitable for our needs. We had a back room which meant it was quiet. We had breakfast the next morning which I thought was a bit pricey considering you can purchase a huge breakfast from Wetherspoons around the corner at a fraction of the price. The staff at the hotel are friendly and helpful and I would definitely stay again. The only let down is the seating area in the reception area (not enough seats) to chill out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Pattycakes46
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Booked in for a two night midweek stay to take in the sights of Edinburgh with my husband and two children. Chose the hotel for its central location and price. Check in was quick, requested a castle view room at time of booking and was pleased to get one. Room was spacious, clean and had everything we needed. Flat screen t.v and tea/coffee making facilities and fabulous view of castle and Princes Street. We ate breakfast both mornings, kids eat free if adults pay extra for the premier breakfast which includes hot buffet. Both mornings were hassle free getting a table at 8.30am and plenty of choice and tasty. We booked an evening meal one night which was okay, nothing special but staff we good with the children and kept them entertained with books and games.

We were put out the first morning as the fire alarm went off, we used the fire escape that leads to the back of the building only to find everyone going about their normal business when we got back to reception! Staff apologized and said it was a test that the shop underneath was carrying out and that it was out of the hotels control. Was a bit perplexed as to why we weren't informed about a test but didn't make an issue out of it as we were about to go out anyway. Felt sorry for the guests who were having a lie in though!

Edinburgh is an enchanting city with lots to do and see, would recommend the Premier Inn as a good base for it's location, price and views.

Room Tip: Ring before hand to request a castle view room, not guaranteed but worth a try.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DROGHEDA
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night break in The Premier Inn located right in the heart of the city on Princes St. Emailed the hotel in advance and requested a castle view and that it exactly what was delivered. A room on the 6th floor with a fantastic view of the castle. It was our 1st time to stay in a Premier Inn and we would have no hesitation in staying in one again. Very good value at £324 for 3 nights with a full breakfast included. The selection at breakfast was very good. Fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals including porridge to order from the kitchen. Full english breakfast, breads, muffins and croissants and the best coffee I ever had in any hotel - COSTA coffee. We did not use the restaurant for evening meals however it was always very busy and the price seemed quite reasonable. The room was lovely and bright and spacious. Fresh towels were provided daily. On the downside there was no safe in the room, however the reception offered to store our valuables in the hotel safe. the staff were so friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: 6th floor to front of hotel. No noise at night as Princes St is closed to traffic
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DroghedaAnnie
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed for a two night mini break . Staff were really helpful , knowledgable about area and facilities. They seemed to be very committed to their role and not just parroting what they had been taught. Rooms were a really good size , location was spot on , very near the national
Gallery but also surrounded by bars and restaurants . Couldn't fault it. Remember to ring in advance if you want a castle view!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just had a one night stay booked on day we travelled, the location of hotel was excellent right in middle of Princes street, parked car at castle terrace car park which was only 5 minute walk to hotel. The hotel gives you a large discount on parking when you give them the parking token to register it cost £10 for 24hrs which is very reasonable for Edinburgh, room was exceptionally clean, bed was very comfortable, check it no problem used the self serve check in, didn't have breakfast but price is very reasonable, all in all a excellent stay.

Room Tip: Our room was on top floor 617 overlooking castle
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

There are some very good things about this hotel, especially the friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are also clean and the beds are comfortable. However, for the price I paid - around £100 a night, without breakfast - this was not good value. Windows do not open so you are dependent on air-conditioning; there was no view except out on to an inner courtyard from the two rooms I occupied during my stay (the air conditioning did not work in the first room I had); there was no armchair; the hot water supply was poor; and restricting free wi-fi to 30 minutes is frankly mean. Edinburgh is an expensive city, and location on Princes Street is excellent, but if I visit Edinburgh again, I shall look elsewhere

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business