“Doesn't worth it!”

Le Cafe Gourmand
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: Breakfast and Lunch French Café/Creperie.
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The stander in this place really surprised me, I thought this cafe would be good as it is in a competitive area close to the campus, especially there are so many cafes along Nicolson street, I expect the standard would be similar to others, however it isn't.
My friend and I came in with the expectation of the name of Artisan Roast coffee, but the coffee here really disappointed us. The milk was not frothed properly, I didn't know whether it was a cappucino or a flat white as I ordered a flat white. The coffee tasted too bitter, and the milk has no taste in it, I didn't enjoy it at all. My friend ordered a latte, and again the taste was awful, milk has no taste and it's supposed to be a milky coffee. It's a shame that they use Artisan Roast coffee but doesn't seem like they know how to make good coffee and appreciate the taste of it!
For a similar price you can get a better coffee somewhere in this area very easily.

2  Thank Naomi H

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have been here many times with my friends since I started studying in Edinburgh, this place has always been a comfort zone for me, and the food and drinks were so comforting too. But lately my friends and I feel that the standard of the food here is rapidly going down.
We ordered a few crepes and eggs this time and that didn't taste the same as previously experienced. For what was on the eggs the sauce was buttery, it seems to be very different for what I had before.
Moreover, the crepes really disappointed us the most. The crepe itself did not taste very fresh, and the texture was like cardboard. I don't know if it's because the crepe was too well done, it's just didn't taste nice. We also noticed that the filling wasn't as much as before. And my friend said she doesn't like the sauce on the sweet crepe, comparing to what was simply just nutella and strawberry, the chocolate sauce on top was really unnecessary.
Other than this, we waited too long to have our food and we weren't even served the same time.
I really liked the food here and it was always a good surprise when I tried to order different crepes each time. But this time the food quality had really put me down, I don't think I will come back here any time soon!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

After reading the comments here, so I went to this shop to try last week. I ordered the crepe, it wasn't nice. The crepe itself tastes like a very chewy pastry. And the filling is a bit too salted for me. Don't know if my crepe is overlooked or isn't fresh enough. Anyways it's not the best I've tried. Moreover I have waited for 20 mins for the crepe... And I don't think it was that busy in the cafe at that time. Other than this, the staffs are very friendly and nice, but I wouldn't choose here again to have something to eat.

2  Thank CC88w
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Great hot chocolate, really nice chai latte, my friends say the coffee is good too, and yummy pancakes sweet and savoury! Nice cozy atmosphere and friendly staff too. Open from 9am-7pm on most days.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

This café has a pleasant atmosphere and helpful staff. Slight mistake was quickly and efficiently amended. Most crepes cost between £4.5 and £6 – very good value. The coffee was nice and their chocolate cake was well flavoured. Great for enjoying a relaxing lunch.