“Breakfast - poor, service - exceptional, room - premier inn.”

Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel
Ranked #35 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

On my visit to this premier inn I found it had exceptionally nice staff, consistent through everyone I had any contact with at the hotel. It was the definite strength of this place. In the past three months I've stayed here, the Princes Suites, both Novotels, Le Monde and Nira Caledonia in Edinburgh and the staff here were the best of every hotel. You'll be made to feel very welcome here.

The room is exactly the same as every premier inn really, consistent with the high standard of staff, this one was particularly clean.

The breakfast here was stale and horrible, normally one of the good points of a premier inn over other hotels. That is the only real negative I have here. My room seemed very expensive for a premier inn, I'd shop around for the best deals as there were adverts all over the hotel for 29£ rooms though I'd paid well over £100 a night.

For those not familiar with Edinburgh, this hotel is quite far from town, but right next to a station with frequent trains for a short ride into the centre.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Campbell619
Tony H H, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Campbell619

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Premier Inn during your recent visit to Edinburgh.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us & enjoyed our fantastic location. I have passed on your comments to our staff who always strive to ensure all our guests have a great stay.

With regards to your breakfast, I’m sorry to hear that you did not find it as enjoyable as our other sites. Please give us a call on 0131 338 0130. before your next stay and we will offer you a complimentary breakfast and even cook fresh to order if you would like.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Accomodation in the center of Edinburgh is quite expensive; before booking this hotel, we had seen shabbier places for the same rates or higher, so we opted for this one, which is around 10 minutes away from Edinburgh Waverly station (which is plainly called Edinburgh station most of the time). That ended up being an excellent choice: the facilities are nice and new; the room was really comfortable and quiet and the bed and pillows were great! We stayed on the second floor and our room had a view of Arthur's seat - what a treat! We saw lots of rabbits hopping around near the hotel too, which was curious, since we come from a concrete, zero wildlife city. The staff was really corteous and helpful. There's a cool restaurant in the hotel, where we went for breakfast every day (great value for money) and once for dinner (it didn't blow us away, but it was a decent meal). My only complaint was the internet connection: we had to pay 10 pounds for seven days of really bad service. Such bad connection should be free, I guess. There's a retail park near the hotel, where you can find a big Sainsbury's and a Poundworld, should you need anything. The train station is a few steps from the hotel and it's not always staffed, but there's always a conductor inside the train from whom you can buy tickets. The off-peak, round-trip tickets are cheaper, around 3 pounds, but cannot be used before 9 am and between 5:20 and 6:10 pm. You don't need to take a taxi to get to/from the airport, the bus stop is within walking distance (about 10 minutes). You should take bus number 35 and ask the driver where you should drop off when coming from the airport. All in all, great value for money and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear GrazzyCosta

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us & enjoyed our fantastic location. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms. There’s nothing better than waking up after a comfy sleep to enjoy Edinburgh’s city centre, after all there is a lot to see.

I’m sorry about the issues you had with our Wi-Fi. This was passed on to our internet supplier Arqiva. The issue has since then been resolved. I will be happy to offer you a free Wi-Fi voucher on your next visit to our hotel.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed twice at this hotel, and was well impressed. On this occasion I had slight problems regarding disabled accommodation, but was sorted very quickly and efficiently by the staff. Very pleasant courteous and helpful waitressing staff that went that extra mile to please all guests. Would certainly recommend this hotel to family and friends. See yous all this time next year if not before.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Trish S

Its great to hear that our staff could sort out any issue you may have had efficiently. I have passed on your kind comments to our F&B team who always look to go that extra mile for our guests.

I hope to see you the next time on your 3rd visit to our hotel.

Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel before so knew what to expect. Very clean, lots of parking and excellent location. Trains very frequent and really easy to use. The only disapointment was the bar closing at 10.30pm even when there were still a few customers. Would return here, but just have drinks in the city centre.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear kekky1

The train service is very convenient, taking only 10 minutes into the city and offers great value for money.

With regards to our bar, we close at 11pm every night as we are a family hotel. We do try and inform as many of our guest of the bar closing times on check in as well as our ‘Quick and Easy Check In’ prints out all the information. I’m sorry that you have not managed to make it for a nightcap with us.

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We booked four rooms at this hotel over the weekend for a friends/ family gathering , this hotel is perfect from what seems like its own train station on the door step , costa coffee on site , super clean rooms , nice restaurant but the main thing that makes this hotel excellent is its staff !!!!!:-)))) well done everybody !!!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank jmlbenton

Dear jmlbenton

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and our staff are thrilled to see that they have made an impression. They all strive to make every guest enjoy their stay and go that extra mile, its great when their hard work is recognised.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is a typical Premier Inn, albeit a very modern one, so you know what to expect from the rooms, bathrooms and communal areas. There's plenty of parking, some well-stocked vending machines, friendly reception staff and the usual efficient service in the Thyme Restaurant.

More importantly, this hotel is around 50 feet from Edinburgh Park train station, which takes you to Waverley Station in the city centre in around ten minutes. For the price we paid (£29!), this hotel is impossible to fault.

Room Tip: Book well in advance to ensure you get a room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear NeilandLauraGlasgow

Its great to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our excellent location. I’ve passed on your kind comments to our team. I am also pleased that you’ve made use of our fantastic £29 rates. It’s a bargain for a short trip to Edinburgh.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Decided to spend christmas away from home in Edinburgh - did not want an all inclusive option so it was an obvious choice to return to the Gyle. Staff were wonderful even though they worked holiday period

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear LesleyandPhilGrundy

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff members hard work went noticed over the Christmas period. Thank you for your positive review.