“Like in France”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I just love the meat platter!!! Better than bigger places which charge much more.
The bread is very good too, and you can finish with one if their delicious cakes.
A real treat for French food lovers.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I were looking to have lunch in one of Bruntsfield's new cafes and restaurants and happened upon La Barantine. While I'm gutted that the cheesemonger who had occupied the premises previously is gone, La Barantine provided some consolation.

On Saturdays it's popular and crowded. We got a small table, placed an order for bread and meats and cheeses, and then happily read the newspapers on offer for patrons.

The service was quick and friendly. The selection is decent, and we loved the relaxed atmosphere. French influenced, but I think a true Frenchman would have to judge if it's one he would claim is French. All I can say is my husband is picky and he liked this place.

We tried to go back today but it was too full and too chilly to wait outside. We made do with German victuals in Falko a few doors down, but we didn't like the meat and cheeses as much as La Barantine. We'll try again another Saturday and perhaps hover until we've claimed a place!

1  Thank Fenedin
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This cafe is just what this part of Edinburgh needs. High quality coffee and teas and the croissants are freshly baked each day. Everything is good quality and it has a chatty busy atmosphere. On the downside it is very small and can feel really cramped on the tables for two if you are having something to eat. The neighbouring tables are very close as well. It would almost be worth taking a couple of them out. However, I would return as the food is superb and just what we want in this part of Edinburgh - a coffee shop which is not run of the mill and rather quirky

Reviewed July 20, 2012

La Barantine is wonderful - the traditional white loaf is a must to take away; the quiche lorraine is delicious; the people are lovely!

1  Thank g00fer
Reviewed June 24, 2012

La Barantine, proper french bakery in the middle of Edinburgh. Good coffee, supreme french banquettes and the french menu's spiced with a mixture of french customer service and Scottish hospitality. Perfect place for a lunch, breakfast or a good espresso.

2  Thank Peter B