“Not great”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Not sure what to say really! Despite it being Hogmanay, service was poor, waited 1 hour for starters and when it came the standard of food was not good - dried up breaded prawns! If you like cherry tomatoes, this is your place - they are in abundance and in every dish that we had - strange and not impressed. Cod main was tiny and disguised by heaps of cherry tomatoes and potatoes. I was recommended this place by friends and therefore gave it a go - NOT AGAIN, 2 mins up the road and there's a QUALITY ITALIAN, NONNA'S KITCHEN!! The guys serving were nice enough but no apology for the long wait, no comp bread or even a glass of wine.

2  Thank EdinburghMaggie67
Battista2000, Owner at Caffe e Cucina, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for submitting a review. First of all I have to apologise that you did not have the kind of experience that both you and I would have expected, following what your friends and previous reviewers have said about their visits with us.

Service on a night such as Hogmanay is always hectic, but especially so this year, as my cousin was taking into hospital during service for suspected apendicitis during service.
We have a tiny kitchen where we prepare dishes to order, using fresh ingredients and no pre-prepared sauces, unlike most restaurants. Hence the cherry tomatoes instead of a pre cooked Napoli tomato sauce.
Reservations are staggered to allow the time requirements for the kitchen.
Where we sometimes come undone is on nights such as Hogmanay, where everyone wants to book between 7pm and 8pm.

I would like to say again that your experience is completely out of character for the restaurant and we will endeavour to do better in the future.

Kindest Regards,
Ernesto Crolla

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was pleased to discover this place, as it's run by the guys that used to run Lazio in Lothian Road as few years ago. The same laid-back, friendly and comfortable eating experience has been re-created in Morningside.

The menu is slightly on the pricey side for pizza and pasta, but it's worth the extra pound or two, not necessarily for the food but for eating here at all. The food is good with nice portions although perhaps a little oily for some palates. I also found I was adding salt, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (how many salty Italian meals have we all had?) but was surprising given that my pasta dish contained chorizo.

The restaurant was booked out on a Wednesday night so best phone before coming along.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We went here for my birthday with a family of 5. 4 of us are vegetarian and there was both an excellent choice and, as the food is cooked to order, the possibility of altering the menu to remove the meat, which they did for me. The wine list was interesting, the food very good indeed and the staff helpful and friendly. They also have very good coffee. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

An Italian, family-run restaurant and cafe very well positioned at the bottom of Morningside Road. The food is absolutely first-rate and very keenly priced, with a decent wine selection and some great desserts. There's also some seats outside for people-watching when the Edinburgh weather allows :-)

1  Thank simoninireland
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very friendly staff and nice atmosphere. We had to wait for our pasta but it was very tasty and abviously freshly cooked at reasonable prices. Great home baked cakes. Will definately visit again

1  Thank happytraveller088