“Great travelodge, great location!!”

Britannia Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #149 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Great travelodge, great location!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

With a three day leisure break booked to Edinburgh, I required a reasonably priced, clean hotel which was near the city centre. This is most definitely what I received. I was on the top floor which provided a great view of buildings in the city and also a very picturesque river running right outside my window, you could faintly hear this at night which I thought was nice and it did not disrupt my sleep. An amazing view in the evenings. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk into the City.

My room was spacious and besides one of the bedside tables being quite dusty for some reason, the rest of the room, and bathroom, were completely spotless. There were the usual tea & coffee making facilities, clean towels supplied every day, a very comfortable bed with additional pillows in the cupboard, a good sized television and very hot water for a bath each morning. I really couldn't find fault in the room, or the service I received from the staff, both on reception & in the restaurant, they were polite, speedy and very helpful.

I had an evening meal at the restaurant for the three nights I stayed, although there isn't a massive choice of dishes on their menu, the food I did order was pretty good, around £10.00 for a main meal and served quickly. The restaurant serves food between 5pm & 10pm which was very handy after a long day out, the bar seemed to be open during the day, as well as the night. I found the atmosphere to always be friendly within the restaurant/bar.

I would very much recommend this hotel to others, my stay was booked in advance for £19.00 per night, an excellent price in my opinion. A couple of things I would mention would be the dusty side bedside table and the window didn't close firmly shut so you could feel a slight breeze at night, these are the only things I could find fault with, but for £19.00 per night and a great service otherwise, these two things seemed irrelevant and something I would not have even thought to complain about.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this travelodge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one night as we got it for a cheap rate. The location is slightly out of the city centre but you will be on Princes street in less than 15 minutes. It is a lovely walk into the city centre as you go past old town houses so you do not feel it is long at all.

The staff were friendly and answered all our questions and check in was quick and easy. We found the room very clean - lovely soft sheets and plenty of towels. It is basic but you come to expect that from the Travel Lodge range and you already know this - it has everything you need for a comfortable night.

We had a lovely view overlooking the rive and waterfall. The only slight downside which i am disappointed to say is the noise at night from the water. It took me a while to get to sleep as the waterfall is quite loud and i do not think the windows are double glazed. Our window did not shut fully so we heard it all night.

I would stay here again but request to not have a room looking over the rive - which is a real shame!

We did not eat here but the food smelt lovely and prices look decent for eating a hotel.

Overall had a nice night.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel on 22/10/2012 with 2 friends, for 3 nights. The Hotel and rooms were very clean and the breakfast was superb. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone staying in Edinburgh. The hotel is about 15 mins walk from the town centre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Renfrew, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels over the past few years. This one was booked early for the cheap rate through my employer. I never checked the reviews because this is a main stream hotel, not far from the centre of Edinburgh, what could go wrong? When I walked into reception you have to push a little button on cordless phone base unit. I was booked easily and given my room key. Not too bad so far. When I entered the lift, the tiles were all badly cracked, not a big problem, but when added to the rest, it is an issue.
I went up to the room, which I had been told over looks the river and it did. There is a weir directly under the bedroom window, not a problem, just close the window. Well that didn't close properly and the weir sounded like a fan heater in my room all night. The bed was clean but had two very flat pillows which didn't exactly envite you to lie down. The carpet was clean in the middle, but there wear lots of areas which looked like they had never been touched in ages. The bathroom was not any better, dirty silicon around the top of the bath, the taps had rusty streaks in places and there was one small piece of soap sat in the corner which looked cheap and nasty.
At this point, although my employer had paid for dinner, I decided to eat out. The cafe/restuarant looked like a works canteen and there was a smoke/fire alarm that sounded like a mobile phone.
I didn't have a very good sleep, although the bed was comfortable. The sound of the weir being constant.
In the morning I went for a shower, this never happened as there was no hot water and the shower curtain was filthy. There no phone to call reception, so was intending to report it when I went down for breakfast. There was someone else there already telling the member of staff, who went away and returned to tell the lady 'someone would have a look at it'. Had no one told him?
My breakfast was just as interesting. There were no staff to take your room number, so I just looked around to see what was available. No cereal!! Not a problem, but its nice to have that option. At this point a girl appeared behind the counter, asked me my room number them disappeared. I went to get juice and the machine was not working. I looked for someone, but the place was empty. By this time I couldn't be bothered and just went for the cooked breakfast. The bacon was nice, the sausage was okay, the beans were luke warm and the scrambled egg tasted like it had been made with sour milk. I went upstairs got my bags and checked out.
The guy at reception took my card, never asked how my stay was or engaged in any pleasantries. My thoughts were that he was probably scared to ask anyone about there stay.
Yes I did get a cheep room, but should not be an excuse for very poor standards.
If you have bothered to get this far in the review, please do not stay here, this is the worst hotel I have EVER stayed. If this is the standard of Travelodge, I wont be back. If Travelodge ever read this. You try staying in this hotel and sleeping in room 521. My visit was on the 22nd October 2012
Derrick

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Britannia Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Derrick M,

Thank you for your comment.

We are sorry to learn about your disappointing stay.

The points you’ve raised will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.

Your feedback is important to us, and we would like to investigate the issues. To assist us with this, please can you visit our main Travelodge website and use the new ‘Contact Us’ form, to provide us with full details of your issues and your booking number.

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Dirty window holes in bed sheets no extrater in bath room so when have a shower toilet roll gets soggy and damp. Only 2 sockets in room rest blanked off so had to UN plug heater if wanted to plug more than 1thing in. Breakfast was like it had been boiled then left bacon was like eating cardboard

• Stayed October 2012
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Britannia Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear den310,

Thank you for your post.

We are sorry to learn of your disappointment on this occasion.

We would like to fully investigate your concerns with cleanliness, state of repair and breakfast. To assist us, please visit our main Travelodge website and use the ‘Contact Us’ form to provide us with full details of your issues and your booking number.

We can then liaise with the Hotel Management team and provide a resolution.
Voiron
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

The hotel is well located in the city. About 10 minutes from Pinces Street, and very close to Dean Village.
Easy to find when you are coming from the airport (Airlink 100 buses, stop Haymarket and then 5 minutes walking).
The team members very nices, the room big and basic but enough for sleeping and the breakfast well served.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Britannia Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Furyo38

Thank you for your post.

It is always good to get positive feedback from our customers after they have stayed with us. We will make sure the hotel receive a copy of your compliment.
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Eventually arriving after a lot of detouring due to road works. Checked in promptly, good deal for carpark for residents at £3 for 24 hours. Room basic, bit run down, but clean, could do with new pillows. Bar and restaurant on site. A good 20 minute walk until you reach the centre, not a lot close by apart from the National gallery of modern art. £8 for a taxi from the Playhouse theatre. We paid £19 so a good deal, excellant value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking river very quiet