“Too expensive for what you get”

Britannia Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #150 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We paid £118 for 1 night (including breakfast). The room was more basic than normal for a Travelodge. The website stated that the rooms had an iron, board and hairdryer. None of these were available. Also for a double room there was only 1 large towel and 1 hand towel! We had to ask for more.

The corridor where our room was (the disabled rooms where located here too) had no lilghting!! (or if there was it wasn't switched on and we definately couldn't find any switch!)

The breakfast buffet was OK, but we had to stand around waiting for a while for more crockery to come out. This happened a few times whilst we were eating our breakfast - could have been more organised.

Wouldn't have minded so much if we'd paid £50 or so for the 1 night!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
WestEndMngr, General Manager at Britannia Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2011

I can understand how frustrating it must have been for you to feel like the facilities we have on offer we not what was advertised. I checked the Travelodge website today to clarify this and noted that the website states irons and hairdryers are available from reception. However if you booked through another website please let me know so I can get the facilities advertised amended.

Travelodge is committed to keeping things simple and consistent because we understand that all you want is a restful place to sleep. This keeps our costs down and therefore we can offer rooms for much less than other hotels. As a result some of the older, well used hotels may display some of the property wear and tear issues that you have highlighted. There is clearly an ongoing challenge in this particular hotel to work closely with our facilities management team to ensure that the basics are right 100% of the time. In regards to the lights on the ground floor they are on a sensor which I have since had replaced as it was not sensitive enough.

I can understand your frustration with the price you paid however - this was still a competitive rate for Edinburgh on that day given the level of demand for rooms in the City. I am confident that on any given day we are significantly lower in price than our main competitors.

Pascal Bamford

Write a ReviewReviews (1,871)

Reviewed June 21, 2011

booked in on the 19th june biggest mistake ever made, the first room given was on the front very noisy,nice lad called nathan moved me straight away and was very helpful no problem what so ever for him to do this, (thankyou nathan) however travel lodge in my opinion are false advertising at this hotel, it says the comfort of your room on the key card holder, were was the comfort the bed was the most uncomfortable thing i have ever slept in (room 409 ) the bathroom ,grout is black behind the shower, the shower curtain needs replacing you can see its all gone that dark pink colour at the bottom, and as for the vent in the bathroom its sealed up and dirty, as was the whole bathroom, the breakfast was an experience in its self, my husband and i arrived at 2 minutes to 7 and sat down where upon the lad working the breakfast shift gave us the most filthy look went into the kitchen and came out with the cooked food for breakfast and threw it under the warming bulbs and i mean threw it i had to stop my husband getting up and cofronting this lad its was the worst case of get lost i have ever seen, the bacon was burned beyond recognition the second day at breakfast we got the scowls and the bacon was cooked in one massive lump if you tried to get a slice you got at least 10, the beans were freezing cold the lad on the next table had to get them to put his food in the microwave, come on travel lodge this site says you have a new manager well its not just new management you need your staff need either retraining or go the full hog and sack the lot apart that is from nathan on reception because he was the only one worth his salt,its a shame i cant get the photos to down load on this review but they are on facebook for all to see. you need to change your advert we tell lots of lies. shame on you travel lodge i would not pay 9 pounds a night here never mind the 29 and 39 i did pay.

Room Tip: pay the extra and go elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank misterwilson93

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Travelodge Edinburgh West End.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your visit. It is clear from your review that you were deeply happy with both the room and the level of service you received from the site. If you could please email me - edinburghdeanbdg.mgr@travelodge.co.uk with the details of your stay and I will investigate the matter further.

Thank you for the positive review of Nathan - I've passed this on to him and my line manager and I'm pleased to hear he impressed you so much.

I have tasked our facilities team and housekeeping team to address the issues you discovered in your room and am in the process of performing a rolling replacement of all the shower curtains along with deep cleans out with the normal monthly and weekly deep cleaning tasks.

As the newly appointed General Manager of the site I have undertaken a solid commitment to work with my new management team to resolve any service and property challenges this site currently suffers from. In regards to your particular issues the chef I totally understand your disappointment in the service provided and I will be working closely with the staff member in question and my management team to ensure that we never give a guest such a negative impression of the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to write the review and please rest assured that we are working very hard to resolve the issues you highlighted.

Reviewed June 18, 2011

a group of us stayed while we did the moon walk, paid 280 pounds for 3 nights!! think they put the price up for the weekend so wasn't cheap. Rooms basic no water pressure shower terrible and toilet would hardly flush. The bed had a broken leg. The breakfast was bland with the worst bacon ever. We booked a few rooms as there was a group of us and when we returned after a day out one of the rooms had been burgled, childrens nintendos and ipod touches stolen.Would never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Travelodge Edinburgh West End. Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your visit. I can understand how disappointing it must have been to paid that sum of money only to find the product we had on offer was below par.

As with many companies now our pricing structure is matched to demand for rooms in Edinburgh and on the occasion you were staying Edinburgh was exceptionally busy. Hence the price - as Travelodge price match to our competitors I can assure you on that day whilst our price may have seemed high it would have still been significantly lower than that of our main competitors that day.

I am concerned that your bed leg was broken and that the team at site were not aware of this ? In the event of a property issue such as this one we should have moved your room as soon as we were aware of the issue - If you could please email me - edinburghdeanbdg.mgr@travelodge.co.uk with the details of your stay and any interaction you had with the team at the hotel and I will investigate this further.

As the newly appointed General Manager of the site I have undertaken a solid commitment to work with my new management team to resolve any service and property challenges this site currently suffers from. In regards to your particular issues with the lights I totally understand your disappointment in the service provided and I will be working closely with the property team and my reception team so that in a case like yours we should have put the issue right or moved your room.

In regards to your comments about how you found the bacon to be bland I have logged this with my line manager and will keep a track of any other complaints of this nature - however I must say its the first for me at this site.

In regards to the theft of property from your friends room - we were aware of this incident and have taken all the necessary action to investigate the allegations. After an internal investigation of CCTV and door lock logs we found no evidence of any employee theft. However we passed the matter on to the police along with the details of the guest and our staff present on the day.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

went to a wedding in scotland in may and then for some down time in edinburgh we stayed at the west end travelodge... great for putting your head down but not when your facing the road...bit noisy!! if you do go there try face the river...there is a resident heron and a walk that takes you all the way to Leith.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Travelodge Edinburgh West End.

Its always great to receive a positive review - I'm sorry that your room was affected by road noise luckily here at Edinburgh West End we have a large number of rooms that are river facing so your totally correct to recommend you try to get one of these rooms. Road noise unfortunately can be part and parcel of the big city center hotels.

Once again thank you for your review

Reviewed June 12, 2011

A one night stay tagged onto another holiday. Reasonable walking distance from Haymarket rail station if not carrying too much luggage, otherwise a taxi ride as limited bus services past the hotel. Excellent location for visiting Dean Gallery and Gallery of Modern Art - only a couple of minutes walk away. Room clean and spacious with all the promised facilites present and in working order - except - no shaver point! Room had a bath as well as a shower. Beds comfortable. Staff friendly and helpful. Cannot comment on the food as I didn't have any at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Travelodge Edinburgh West End.

Its always a pleasure to get a positive review and I have passed on your comments to the team.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 12, 2011

We checked in round 7pm, there were no clean linen, no towels in bathroom, instead we found old, used and dirty ones left from previous guess. No remote control for TV either. There were no light bulbs in the ceiling light fittings, only two ugly holes looking down on us. Its was utterly disgusting, the room was cold smelt badly. The only good thing we had was the a nice view to the woods.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Travelodge Edinburgh West End. Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your visit. I can understand how frustrating it must have been for you check in to find thst the room had not been serviced- If you could please email me - edinburghdeanbdg.mgr@travelodge.co.uk with the details of your stay I will follow this up with customer services.

Travelodge is committed to keeping things simple and consistent because we understand that all you want is a restful place to sleep. This keeps our costs down and therefore we can offer rooms for much less than other hotels. As a result some of the older, well used hotels may display some of the property wear and tear issues that you have highlighted. There is clearly an ongoing challenge in this particular hotel to work closely with our facilities management team to ensure that the basics are right 100% of the time. I have personally ensured that every room now has a full set of working lights through out the hotel and have put measures in place to ensure that the housekeeping team are regularly keeping us informed of any blown bulbs.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 28, 2011

Flew to edinburgh airport and travelled to the Edinburgh West Travelodge by bus. On arrival we asked to leave our luggage in the hotel as we were early for check-in (8.30am). We were told that we could not leave our luggage at the hotel and would have to carry it around until check-in at 3pm. It is their policy to not look after guests luggage incase something goes missing. Having stayed at lots of hotels all around the world, I have never had a hotel refuse to hold luggage until checkin before and I expect this as a minimum level of service. Spoke to customer services on the phone and they said it was up to management whether or not they took our luggage - management denied this and still refused. Having previously stayed at this hotel when it was the Menzies Belford, I had hoped that it would be stil as nice. Wrong! Travelodge have blocked up the reception and opened a new bland reception around the back of the hotel. The reception and restaurant area are just depressing and they clearly do not have enough staff to cope with guests. The cooked breakfast was bland and I couldn't cope with more than one (had payed for two in advance). Travelodge clearly are not interested in customer service or repeat customers. Awful experience and I will never stay in a travelodge ever again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Patr26
WestEndMngr, General Manager at Britannia Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2011

Patr26

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Travelodge Edinburgh West End. Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your visit. I can understand how you will have seen a dramatic difference in both appearance and and feel to the Hotel now that it is no longer trading as a 4 star Menzies.

Travelodge is commited to keeping things simple and consistent because we understand that all you want is a restful place to sleep. This keeps our costs down and therefore we can offer rooms for much less than other hotels. As a result additional services such as left luggage are often removed.

In your particular case it is clear to me that whilst this is a brand guideline with the team it should still be open to interpretation by the team at site and therefore managed on an individual basis. I will be retraining the reception team over the coming weeks to ensure that they are as guest obsessed as I am on a daily basis.

As the newly appointed General Manager of the site I have undertaken a solid commitment to work with my new management team to resolve any service challenges this site currently suffers from. In the case of left luggage there is an ongoing piece of work around this as with an excess of 500 sleepers per night the logistics of securely storing even half this amount would result in a cost to the business that would need to be rationalised with the rate charged for the stay.

Hotel Manager