“Great hotel and great location, love it....”

Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
Ranked #105 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great hotel and great location, love it....”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed 4 nights before New years eve, we booked early so we got a reasonably good price. The room 103 is very nice for family of 3, with 1 bathroom and 1 shower room my daughter loved it as she has her own shower room.

the pool is small but nice for family with small children also have steam room as well.

I notice some people complaining about fire alarm, I actually use to it by now (We have been woken up by fire alarm 5-6 times in various hotels in the UK the last 6 years, one of them 2 o'clock in the morning) and it does not annoy us whatsoever but we are grateful that the fire alarm work and we know that we more likely to be safe it is was a real fire.

Breakfast is adequate, perhaps need more variation for people who stay more than 3 days.

The room was spacious with 4 posters bed, nice a little details as I expected from 4-5 stars hotels.

Location:
Not far from both old and new town also not far from Hollyroodhouse.

A nice surprise, didn't expected to see any fireworks as we only stayed there until 31st Dec but on the 30th Dec there was a very nice firework display right in front of our room.

All in all we would love to be back again, hopefully stay over new year's eve next time :-)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear RLJ1970
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. The fireworks were great weren't they? All part of Edinburgh's torchlight procession, I went along up Calton Hill as well, they were truly spectacular and to have them right behind the hotel, a real treat.
So pleased that you had a great stay, we have got some fabulous spacious family rooms which is ideal for the kids to give them some space as well.
I love your point about the fire alarm, I am of the same mindset, it is better to know it is working just in case. It is always an inconvenience, but it is there for life safety, something we take very seriously.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Edinburgh.
Lucja Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Lancashire
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Greeted very well and professionally on arrival........ That's where the good part ends unfortunately. My wife and I were upgraded being IHG platinum members, the room was ok but a little tired. However my 2 daughters were put in a standard room which is normally no problem in other Crowne Plaza hotels. The room had no heating whatsoever, the aircon when turned up to 24 degrees still pumped out cold air. The bathroom was like an ice box as it's footprint stood outside the building line and took all the elements. We bought this to the attention of reception who sent up a free standing heater with a Neanderthal that threw it in the room then closed off the aircon completely whilst looking Condescendingly at my family. The bathroom had a towel rail and a radiator but neither could be used as they were a health and safety risk after the refurbishment. Forgive me but this so called refurbishment had not taken place anytime recently so why hadn't this been sorted by now. The heater had one setting "blast furnace" so within 15 minutes you could not breath in the room and had to go into the bathroom to cool down! Next morning I told reception this was unacceptable and they should think of moving my daughters which by our return later in the day they had sorted another room which was perfectly ok and had heating. The next morning we were turfed out on the street by a fire alarm at 8.30am, now I am aware this is essential but on a Sunday morning, could Monday be a better option as hotels are generally empty on Sunday nights. Only a chef turned out onto the street with the other staff choosing to remain inside the inferno that for all we knew was taking place. This then had a knock on effect for breakfast as the every guest was now wide awake and heading for breakfast which led to fights over the last sausage etc. terrible experience which is a shame as I have visited many Crowne Plaza's around the world and not experienced one so bad. We are about to spend a lot of time in Edinburgh over the next few years but it won't be at this hotel.

2 Thank MarkLancashire
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear Mark
Thank you for your feedback and I sincerely apologise for the issues you have experienced. I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you would be able to send me an email to general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk so I can address the issues you have raised.
I can assure you that we take all feedback on board and this is not our usual level of service or quality.
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We decided, as a last minute treat, to go to Edinburgh for new year. We knew all the hotels would be more expensive than normal and after extensive research chose the Crown Plaza on Royal Terrace.

On arrival we were directed to our two rooms and the keys didn't work - a good start!! The keys were changed but didn't work on a further two occasions!

To say the rooms were small is an understatement. The floor had not been vacuumed properly as there was still rubbish visable. The bathroom was so small you could shower, visit the toilet and clean your teeth all at the same time!! For £289 per night per room they were dreadful.

One of the rooms was freezing cold - not what you want in Edinburgh in December/January! After complaining 3 times we eventually got a freestanding heater in the room.

Would definitely not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are offered either room 211 or 213 (either side of the lift!) refuse them!
1 Thank lindaatmiltonabbas
Dear Linda
Thank you for your feedback. It is a shame that you did not get to experience our hotel as it should be. I would be happy to discuss further, if you could email me at general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk
I hope to hear from you so that we can look to restore your faith in our hotel.
Shanghai
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I arrived late at night from a very long flight and left early the next morning but this a a gracious old world style hotel located in an Edinburgh Georgian terrace. Rooms are large and well equipped, staff are extremely friendly and gave me a warm welcome. A good Scottish breakfast before I continued my travels set me up for the day. My only regret was that it was such a short stay - I will be back!

Room Tip: If you're old like me request a room near the lift
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank GraemeShanghai
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Graeme
Thank you for your review. It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay, albeit to short.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for hopefully a more extended visit.
Glasgow
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend took me here for the weekend for a valentine weekend away and we were so pleased with the hotel it was lovely, our room was great and cleaned everyday, swimming area was fab and we had it all to ourself when we went, we had dinner in the restaurant one night which was lovely and service was fab, breakfast buffet was good with plenty of choices, was a perfect weekend and would recommend to other couples

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Chloe
Thank you for your lovely review. I hope we can welcome you back again for another special visit soon.
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

From the second we walked in the staff were warm and friendly and continued to be for the rest of our stay. The food we had at the hotel was all well presented and delicious (this included the breakfasts, an afternoon tea and dinner). All staff were knowledgable of the local area and were really good at recommending attractions and other various places to visit. The room was large with two double beds and house keeping kept the room tidy both in the morning and the evening. The attention to detail of all staff was so great that a lost scarf was returned to us before we'd even noticed it was gone! We cannot recommend this hotel enough, an utterly brilliant stay

Dear Helen
Lovely to read that you had a fabulous Christmas Stay with us.
Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We spent a wonderful night at the royal terrace whilst enjoying all the Christmas festivities Edinburgh has to offer. We are platinum elite members with IHG so we've stayed a lot with the group and can honestly say our experience here was brilliant. From the moment we arrived, we were warmly greeted by reception staff, who took time to talk us through all our member benefits, we requested late check out and this wasn't a problem either. We stayed in G2 a spacious room to the front of the hotel with plenty of character, the room was perfect. The club lounge was equally well equipped and had a good relaxed atmosphere and the service received during happy hour exceeded our expectations. Thanks for making our weekend extra special. Keep up the good work. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ricatalla
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Ricatalla
So pleasing to read you had such a great stay and enjoyed the wonderful festive atmosphere Edinburgh has to offer. G2 is a great room, and the Club Lounge really is a great asset to us. Wonderful that you could experience it all and I hope we get to welcome you back in the near future.