“Lovely people and a homely stay”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cruachan Guest House
Ranked #230 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Aberdeen
“Lovely people and a homely stay”
Reviewed November 26, 2009

The minute we arrived at the Guest House we were warmly welcomed and felt very comfortable. The owner was very helpful and friendly and had a good sense of humour which made our stay even more memorable. The room was spacious, comfortable and very clean, it was definitely good value for money. The dining room conservatory where we had breakfast was stunning and the breakfast itself was beautiful and the menu was not limited as there were plenty different things to choose from. The staff were just as lovely and very comfortable to be around. All in all it was a great stay and i would highly reccomend this Guest House if you are ever venturing to Edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sheffield
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I have been staying in Edinburgh for two nights, booked a single room but actually when I arrive he arranged a double room for me, and there was no extra charge at all, its an amazing bargain to me, but it seems this lovely old man doesn't really care about money at all. Location and surrounding are wonderful, very convenient for conference attendees.
That was a clean and big room on third floor, enough space for me to have very good rest. Breakfast is traditional and nicely served. Mr. Graham who maintains the house very well, although he doesn't live there.

The impression of his kindness and friendly were further enhanced after I left Edinburgh in a hurry. I left my charger and a portable hard disk in the room and only found it while I travelled back to Sheffield. I tried to call him and he just go straight to room and found it for me. I wrote email to him with my address and indicated that I wanted the staff to be sent to me with special delivery and I would pay double price as reward. It all because the hard disk in too essential to me. And two days later, I got everything in a very carefully packed package, together with a email said that he will not charge me anything cause that's not a big money...

In a word, I had peaceful and very cosy time in the Cruachan Guest House and was really impressed and touched by the kindness and honesty of the land lord. Also need to mention the lovely little garden together with the beautiful dinning room. Considering the price, its a really worth choice if you want to stay a long time in Edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed November 18, 2009

As soon as i arrived at the B and B the host welcomed me in the most friendly and inviting way, he also had no troubles answering my queries both about the city and the Guest house. It is run by a warm and welcoming family who really make you feel like your at home (even on my stay which was only a couple of nights). My room was comfortable and satisfied my needs perfectly, the breakfast in the morning was superb and the general atmoesphere was both friendly and inviting. All in all i would recomend this to anyone as it is great value for the money you pay.
J. Hill

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2009

clean, tidy, easy walk to centre. good breakfast. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank mrsTMG
Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2009

A travelling party of 3 (one couple), we booked 2 rooms for 3 nights. Had a substantial deposit not been paid at time of booking several weeks prior (interestingly, no other B&B requested this during our stay in the UK), and had it not been end Edinburgh Festival time with B&B accommodation limited, we would have gone elsewhere. Curtains on entrance door torn and filthy, laundry bags piled in entrance hall and a musty odour was our first 'welcoming' impression. Odour, we established, came from kitchen/breakfast room area - smelt of grease and gas. Doubt if either areas are ever aired. Incidentally, breakfast room is no longer fitted out as displayed on the web site. Go down several levels and expect open marmalade pots stuck to the plastic mats which sit there all day, not topped up from one breakfast till the next. En suite shower almost impossible to access, door does not slide easily, lights in en suite did not function. Facility there for tea/coffee making in rooms but discovered cause of strange flavour was long life milk provided well past the use by date. This was our first, and last, stay at a 3 star B&B - we stayed 4 stars elsewhere in the UK at a lesser price and had no cause for complaint. It was a 'memorable experience' but for all the wrong reasons.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank BrightonAustralia

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

London
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Came up to Edinburgh with work and stayed in the Cruachan for a week. The guest house is in a good location, close to the city centre with decent bars and restaurants nearby. The room was clean and comfortable. The best bit was the breakfast which was superb. The owner was very friendly, helpful and had a great sense of humour, the perfect scottish host. I would recommend to other vistors to Edinburgh.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Germany
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I stayed for four nights in room 8 (ground floor). Great was the reception even at half past midnight I was warmly welcomed. Breakfast is also of really high standard. Everything freshly cooked (ham&eggs or fish or...) but I found even oatmeal cereals. But the room and bathroom was very small and even though the cleanliness was ok, it looked not friendly. The bed was quite simple, but I didn't get a back pain. Even though the hotel is only a 10 to 15 min walk from the conference centre, it certainly is in a very quiet spot, so I could sleep with the window open. I was missing internet connection.
Summary: you must not have great expectations then Cruachan Guest House is a great deal for people going to the Conference Centre.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business