“Had a bit of a hoolie!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 211 Nightlife in Edinburgh
Inverkip, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Had a bit of a hoolie!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had passed earlier in day and noticed that there was live music advertised for night, after visiting a few other pubs first we thought let s go check it out, busy pub but served quickly, great atmosphere and live music was a fantastic musician Graeme? playing guitar, banjo, bohrans and mouthie had the whole room partying together (although all different nationalities), we did plan on staying for a couple before moving on, but ended up staying whole night, next time we will also try the food as menu looked great pub grub, it is also right next to Greyfier cemetry and statue of Greyfrier Bobby is right outside.
Well worth a visit as it was the highlight of the weekend x thank you for hospitality and thanks to Graeme for excellent entertainment x

Visited October 2013

Stokenchurch, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Friendly pub and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is a very friendly pub and has a lovely atmosphere. The food was lovely - the fish and chips were very good!
The location is obviously very good, especially with the history of Greyfriars Bobby.

Visited October 2013
Pershore, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Good food and a good choice of beers here too. Had a meal in their restaurant and really enjoyed it. Good service too.
Only negative comment would be the wine prices, very high like all other pubs which is a rip off considering bottle prices in the supermarkets.

Visited September 2013
north east england
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Well”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Don't know where to start really but here goes....just wanted a plate of pub grub as we had dined Thai and Nepalese the previous nights so we were out early 7 ish and this place was heaving though it was a Saturday night....anyway asked if they had a table for two (this Nicholsons pub has a separate dining area) and was told by a nice little girl it will be about 15 minutes to which we agreed she said she would give us a call so we got a couple of pints and sat next to the dining area loads of people were turned away.. After 15 minutes she gave us a shout and we were seated and ordered fish and chips....then we waited and waited though not to worried as food was coming out to people who were before us....anyway the waiter asked if we would like a free coffee while we waited as he was sorry about the time we said no we were ok with our pints ...a bit more time and he said he was giving us extra portion, money off the bill and a desert free and we hadn't even complained....ok we said then the plates arrived I have never had so much fish (two each) on a plate in my life...they were huge and very tasty the batter was lovely but couldnt eat the chips or peas as so full of fish so we also declined the desert.....more apologies and we paid the bill leaving a tip as the two trying to serve so many people coped very well just a problem behind the scenes.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank polly45
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Avoid this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went to Edinburgh with family during the Fringe Festival recently and made the unfortunate decision to eat in this establishment.
On arrival we were found a table quickly and it seemed like a nice place to eat, the waitress was friendly and polite and soon took our order for food and drinks. The drinks took around 15 minutes to arrive at the table, minus one drink as asking for a lime cordial and lemonade was a bit too tricky to understand, once we explained how this was poured, it soon arrived at the table.
We then waited.......and waited.......and waited......and waited for the food to arrive, which it did 40 minutes after ordering it and on it being put down on the table, it looked very disappointing and the food was almost lost on the plate!
Two of our party had ordered sandwiches and chips and it looked as though they had been bought from the local supermarket and plonked on a plate with a small ramekin of chips. I had the misfortune to order the hand pressed peri-peri beefburger, which again was visually disappointing and my initial thought was that it didn't look like a meal that should cost £10.95.
As I had waited so long for the food, I thought I'd just get it eaten as by that time, the whole of our group was really hungry and we wanted to get on with our day in Edinburgh.
It was then I tried to cut the burger!!! and I can only describe it as impossible with standard cutlery and could have probably only achieved this with a chainsaw. I then removed then un-toasted "toasted bun" from the top and saw that the 'hand-pressed' burger was around 4mm thin and was completely dry and burnt.
I called the waitress over and explained that the burger was rock hard and burnt and she apologised and asked if I would like anything else but due to the initial wait for our meals, I said I would just leave it altogether as I didn't want to wait another 40 minutes for a replacement.
I sat talking with my family as they ate their food and after a few minutes, a male who I presumed was the manager (as he didn't introduce himself) flew over to the table and stood aggressively over us and growled "Who's is the burger?".
I told him that I had ordered it and before I had finished my sentence he snapped "I've tried it and there's nothing wrong with it"
I explained to him that the burger was hard and burnt and that it was impossible to cut with a knife, he then said "It's ok in the middle" and he followed his with "It's chargrilled, that's how it's supposed to be".
I hadn't realised at that time that I was only supposed to eat and would only be charged for the middle of the burger, I hadn't read that on the menu anywhere!
I explained that it was a lot more than chargrilled but I stopped short of saying it more resembled charcoal, he continued to insist that there was nothing wrong with the meal and at no point was understanding or apologetic and was making a scene in front of my family, which included 2 small children, I can only describe his attitude as disgusting, he looked as though he wanted to explode with anger!
I told him I didn't want to talk about it anymore, at which point he stomped off across the restaurant and began to take out his anger management issues on the poor waitresses who he had been chastising the whole time we had been in there. We then left and I purchased an burger from a stall in the street for £4, which was twice as thick and cooked perfectly, perhaps they should employ this chap in Greyfriars Bobby!
This is the first review I have ever written such as my disgust at our experience in this place, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone and strongly advise any person thinking of going here to go elsewhere.

Visited August 2013