“A great little find”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Had a voucher for the tasting menu for myself and the missus. We were 1st to arrive, so had a good chat with our waiter, very friendly guy. Food tasted awesome, no extra seasoning required, portion sizes were more than adequate considering it was 7 courses. Highlight for me was the lamb, melt in the mouth. All the food was well presented as well. We were nosey, and kept an eye on a table that was ordering a la carte, and yes the portions are suitable for someone with an appetite. There is now a daily lunch menu on offer as well. While the wine list is not massive, there is still a good range of choice. Nice relaxed atmosphere, would not hesitate to recommend this place.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I walked past this restau en route to a rehearsal last autumn; it was so inviting with twinkly lights round the windows, candlelit tables and convivial sound of clinking glasses and chat. I've been hankering to visit for yonks. I got my wish on a recent visit to Edinburgh.
It is a teeny cosy space in a basement in one of the more interesting and bohemian streets in Edinburgh. It has reall great wallpaper interestingly. We arrived early as I had an early start the next day. Lovely welcome to corner table near the window. The menu was very good, limited enough to make you confident that everything fresh and perfect but wide spread of choices. While we hummed and hawed, the MOST delicious cup of squash soup arrived. It had a lovely slick of herby olive oil, really gorgeous and perfect for the cold night.
The starter that I chose was squid, nice but I think I may prefer squid in a simpler presentation. I had Hake for main course, perfectly cooked on a tomato confit. The water was delicious and I was reliably informed that the wine was too. I missed out on pudding but the chocolate and raspberry confection was reported to be really lovely.
It was quiet when we arrived but filled up while we were there. The service was good, pleasant, well informed and interested.
Definitely planning a return visit.

Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Visited on Wednesday evening and was thoroughly impressed by the standard and creativity of the dishes on the tasting menu. Each dish left you wanting more as the combinations were so good. Particularly enjoyed the hake and the lamb. The final cheese selection was well worth the extra too. The wine pairings worked very well and introduced good quality wines from off radar locations like Austria and Romania.

The service was discreet and well informed. Reservations make sense as there are only about a dozen tables and it was very busy even on a Wednesday evening in February.

Certainly visit again, the lunch menu looked well worth a try.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We love Purslane and it has definitely become our favourite spots since it opened over a year ago. The food is excellent but reasonably priced and you always feel that you are getting the absolutely best quality from owner-head chef Paul. Service is quick, effecient and always friendly. Excellent wine list as well. This restaurant has definitely become one of Stockbridge's best and well worthy of the high ratings it has been getting.

1  Thank MegD82
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Having eaten at Purslane on several occasions and enjoyed it immensely we were happy to purchase a discount voucher for the tasting menu with matched wines. We arrived and were warmly welcomed our coats taken and shown to our table given our menus together with a glass of prosecco and some tap water. The food followed and we were advised of each wine as they were delivered to the table consomme, chicken liver parfait,stuffed squid, hake,lamb a pineapple sorbet and a trio of chocolate desserts to finish. All were beautifully cooked and well matched with the wines.A marvellous evening obviously not something you can do regularly but great for a celebration.