“Very expensive for what it has to offer!”

Purslane Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We recently visited the restaurant to sample the tasting menu which is normally priced at £150. Admittedly we had a 5pm,com offer which was cheaper but the experience was not a very good value for money. We were disappointed by the experience for several reasons.
1. The culinary skills are certainly below average and the price does not reflect the quality of the food offered. Some of the dishes arrived very cold as if they were standing in the kitchen for some time. This certainly worked against their flavour.
2. The combination of the wines with the food (which was included in the price) was certainly bold but not always successful. For example the chocolate mousse was served with a dry Lebanese red wine, which was not a very palatable combination. Similarly the chicken liver parfait was offered with a Chenin Blanc, whereas it would have been much better suited to a sweet white.
3. The staff was pretty un engaging to the point of being disinterested. There was no effort made to explain for example the choice of the wine for the food offered and they were pretty disinterested in our departure. We had some problems to locate our coats, which had been moved during our meal and they made no effort to help us with this.
4. The restaurant is pretty small and the table are too close to each other. This works against the supposedly intimate atmosphere.
On the basis of the experience I would not rush back to the restaurant. My understanding is that the restaurant has not been open for very long and that they make an effort with the 5pm.com to fill the tables. I do not expect that the restaurant will tsy long for too long, given what it has to offer. Edinburgh has several excellent restaurants that offer a tru culinary exrince at the price charged by Purslane.

9  Thank Scotscouple99

Reviewed February 15, 2013

My other half surprised me with a valentine's visit here and the food was just as amazing as our first visit.

Starters were poached haddock, potato croquette, spinach and tartare sauce (him) while I opted for another go at their love with cauliflower; a cauliflower 'panna cotta' - an amazingly fantastic chilled delight. Main courses were the most beautiful lamb dish served with roasted baby tomatoes, dauphinoise and courgette. A simple looking dish which went together amazingly well. Possibly one of the best main courses I've ever eaten. My partner opted for the sea bream which he ooed and ah'd over, served with a cassoulet. This had put me off from ordering it but when I saw it I knew I'd order it if it was on the menu next time.

Great service in a cosy atmosphere. Has to be one of Edinburgh's hidden gems. Go find it.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

"Valentine's" night - thankfully there were no pink fripperies to spoil the mood.

I'd walked past Purslane often enough and liked the look of the menu - the reviews were solid as well so I had to give it a go. Yes, it is a bit cramped and could maybe do with more comfortable seating but the food makes up for that - as does the very reasonable cost. My Chicken liver parfait was excellent and the blood orange jelly was an inventive twist that added a blissful citrus tang. The lamb rump was some of the finest sheep meat that I've enjoyed in decades and the chocolate fondant delivered up a plate full of gooey loveliness (although the pistachio ice cream needed more of a wallop). I have no gripes with the service (I was dubious about the Romanian Pinot Noir and was offered a taste before committing and it was a highly cost effective and delicous choice, underlining the fact that whoever put together the wine list clearly knows their bevvy).

We'll be back.

For thse who moan about the portion size - why not try a "stuff yersel' till yez burst" buffet restaurant............

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We had the tasting menu with matching wine and came away slightly disappointed. Whilst service was friendly it felt a bit rushed such that we hadn't finished our wine from the previous dish, when the next dish arrived.
Food nice but nothing memorable.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is THE place to eat in StockbridgeWe discovered Purslane 4 months ago and have eaten here several times since.Purslane is small and intimate, but this is what we love about it.The menu is always seasonal, and the chef always deals with local suppliers.We have been for lunch and dinner.We also had the pleasure of dining when it was Purslane Anniversary when there was a special tasting menu.Every dining experience has been a pleasure.Cannot recommend this restaurant enough.If you like a proper dining experience with quality food and fantastic service(from Gregor!) this is the place for you.