“I like it”
Review of Victor Hugo

Victor Hugo
Ranked #753 of 2,529 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Victor Hugo Continental Delicatessen is situated in the picturesque Edinburgh Meadows. Serving a variety of foods and drinks from around Europe.
“I like it”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Victor Hugo is one of our local caffees and although it's nothing special it is a very nice place to go to. It's almost as like it's so average that it's great. A good place to pop in for a very fine and strong coffee which arrives promptly be it take away or sit in. The food is nice , though have to admit that I almost never order there anything else then sandwiches / they are very nice / or soup , which is ok. Have tried the Friday Supper Club few times and it was good. It's this kind of place which grows on you with time, but if you look for a just good breakfast or lunch don't hestitate and try it out chances are you will not be disappointed. And the views are nice too:)

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Agnieszka M

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“very average”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

One member of staff takes the orders, by writing them down and then they take the payment - hopeless. Then they have to stop as another member of staff has to interrupt as they cannot read the writing! Oh dear! Not much space for the ensuing queue to form. Coffee and food fine, but not worth rushing back for. There seems to be plenty of staff, just badly organised.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank jane s
“Not the best”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Seems to be popular but the two times I have been there I was not impressed. I had quiche one time which they offered to warm and microwaved it so that it was very hard to cut through so I could not eat it. Also had cake that was very dry on my next visit. I will not be returning.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Bobbysueg
York, United Kingdom
“Lovely views, food adequate and service lacking some what”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Having decided to walk back through the Meadows, I came across Victor Hugo's deli and cafe once again. My main course was ok (aubergine lasagne and Greek salad) but the delicious looking chocolate flapjack tasted really odd, like it was stale so I left the rest after 2 bites. The service was perfunctory. I see what and agree with many of the previous comments about the staff's attitude - 'can't be bothered' springs to mind. For Example 1, I sat down at a table that hadn't been cleared. It wasn't until after I had received my food and was beginning to eat that anyone came to take the dirty plates and cups etc away. For Example 2, I asked for a glass which was brought promptly but no offer was made to pour my drink into it, it was just put down next to the bottle. The best bit however was the great view out of the window of the Meadows on a lovely September day. While the experience wasn't bad (except the flapjack and the rather indifferent customer service), it wasn't great and I wouldn't rush to go back.

• Visited September 2013
doncater
“Fabulous brunch”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I last shopped and ate at Victor Hugos 30 years ago as a student in Edinburgh. A nostalgic return trip for brunch on a Saturday morning recently made clear why this place has been around for decades.
A perfect freshly made espresso machiatto to awaken the senses, then Eggs Victor Hugo washed down with a nice pot of tea.
A toasted muffin topped with smoked salmon, wilted spinach and two perfectly poached eggs, drizzled with lemon infused butter. If brunch gets any better than this I have yet to discover it.
I have eaten eggs benedict at one of Gordon Ramsay's places, but they were not as memorable as this.
Top Notch.