“Fabulous brunch”
Review of Victor Hugo

Victor Hugo
Ranked #738 of 2,597 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Victor Hugo Continental Delicatessen is situated in the picturesque Edinburgh Meadows. Serving a variety of foods and drinks from around Europe.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I last shopped and ate at Victor Hugos 30 years ago as a student in Edinburgh. A nostalgic return trip for brunch on a Saturday morning recently made clear why this place has been around for decades.
A perfect freshly made espresso machiatto to awaken the senses, then Eggs Victor Hugo washed down with a nice pot of tea.
A toasted muffin topped with smoked salmon, wilted spinach and two perfectly poached eggs, drizzled with lemon infused butter. If brunch gets any better than this I have yet to discover it.
I have eaten eggs benedict at one of Gordon Ramsay's places, but they were not as memorable as this.
Top Notch.

1  Thank markY462

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We enjoyed eating here one evening and were accommodated on a busy night within 10 minutes without having made a reservation. We occupied a table on the pavement, overlooking The Meadows, with its grass, trees, walkers and joggers, an enjoyable continental-type setting as the balmy day drew to its conclusion. The food was very good, with a fair degree of choice. I believe that the restaurant does not have a licence to sell alcohol but it was happy to open our own bottle of wine (without charging for corkage). The service was pleasant and helpful; it seemed well-paced for us, relaxed but not too slow.

Our eldest son, a student who was with us and now lives in Edinburgh, sometimes uses the associated deli and approves of what they sell. It certainly looked good to us.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Went for lunch - the service was a bit slow. We ordered two pasta dishes and a baguette... One pasta dish and baguette arrived, the other pasta dish followed and was not heated properly - I didn't want to send it back in case I had an even longer wait! However - coffee was fantastic and great location. Would go again for coffee...

3  Thank JReevo
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Cute and unique, set facing a park in an otherwise residential part of Edinburgh (i.e. away from the crowded and grubby high street) Victor Hugo had potential.

First I struggled to see what they serve, then spied 'Croque Madame' on the overhead colourful chalk board, but no, they don't serve that yet, the soup of the day was 'pea' (bleah), I spied French Onion soup on another board-nope, only Friday!

Getting desperate I ordered the 'Basque' so-called 'gourmet filled roll' and took a seat in the window, after swapping for a stool without butter on it.

My sandwich came a bit too quickly, suggesting it had been made ahead, and was the 'Catalan', not the 'Basque' I had ordered.

Sigh.

The young woman who took my order was pleasant, and someone else brought my (incorrect) sandwich, which was ok, but not what I expected. Yes, I ate it. No, I didn't complain. But I won't rush back.

They'll do ok, plenty of business.

1  Thank Seth S
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Popped out to meet a friend with my children and Victor Hugo was an obvious choice given it's location to the Meadows and children's park. It was close to tea time so we decided to go for a bite to eat. Have to say the spicy mac cheese was extremely good and food was generally well priced. Coffee has to be one of the best in town and again reasonably priced. Staff were helpful and service was good, they took the trouble to ask if everything was okay, and tolerated my children popping in and out of the shop for other items - cupcakes and juice. All together a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours chatting and watching the world go by.