“intimidating and unprofessional”

Ranked #76 of 404 things to do in Edinburgh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“intimidating and unprofessional”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I began to learn lead climbing today, being taught by my boyfriend who is a qualified instructor and rope access technician. We felt intimidated by the member of staff on duty who watched us for 15 minutes while giggling into his radio while I, a novice climber, was tackling a lead climb. This made me feel extremely uncomfortable and nervous. After I'd finished my climb the instructor continued to glare at us across the arena and stood with his wee instructor pal, both with arms folded, staring at us as my boyfriend got ready to climb. I felt so uncomfortable and embarassed, my boyfriend confronted the member of staff who had no real reason as to why he was singling us out. He pointed out I'd made a mistake on my leadclimb, which I spotted myself and corrected instantly, and it seems that this was why he had decided to laugh at me on his radio and stare at me for the next ten or so minutes. Highly intimidating, enough to put you off climbing altogether. We then left and won't be coming back. I paid £20 to be intimidated and ridiculed by members of staff who are supposed to be there to assist.

4 Thank lcmcm
Thomas W, Front Office Manager at Edinburgh International Climbing Arena, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Hi Laura,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent visit to EICA, I'm really sorry that you have had such a negative experience here and I would like to discuss this with you.
Unfortunately I have no contact details for you so I would urge you to speak with myself or a member of the team when you are next here, or if you would prefer I can be contacted directly on 0131 333 6326 or via the switchboard on 0131 333 6333.

San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Serious Climbing Facility”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was well worth a visit if you are an intrepid climber or a beginner. The environment is overwhelmingly immense with climbs for all levels and even an assault course in the sky. It has been created in an old quarry which gives endless possibilities. It is covered but still gives the feeling and light of the open air. Staff are efficient and very helpful. It is an outstanding facility for a family experience. In our case 5 children and four parents climbed and grandparents were seriously entertained as observers on the verandah enjoying a coffee and pastry as well as taking a close up of the activities which was quite thrilling.

The facility is located just outside Edinburgh past the airport. All equipment is easily rented and affordable. Lessons are also available. A great day of challenges.

1 Thank 555allie
London, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Awe-inspiring”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Fact: the biggest of its kind in Europe. The climbing arena is just massive. Very professional and friendly staff. Five stars.

1 Thank dr002jy
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great facility”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My son and I did roof top obstacle course. Excellent fun and great exercise.
45 year old and kept up with son.
Well all most!
Worth a try!

Visited September 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Climbers and kids”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The EICA at Ratho is a professional standard climbing centre offering several different climbing options. It is popular too for older children's parties. It is a bit of a drive out to the west of Edinburgh, best accessed by car.

Visited October 2012