“Service and food not as good”

Fishers in the City
Ranked #131 of 2,628 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Description: At Fishers in the City our ethos is simple; honest food, great service and a relaxed dining experience. Set in an old converted warehouse on Thistle Street, the contemporary surroundings offer the perfect venue for any occasion from a Hot Shellfish Platter to a bowl of mussels on the run. Daily specials, set lunch/ pre-theatre menu and our extensive wine list complement our fresh, seasonal menus.The a la carte menu is available all day, everyday, and of course our Fishers Favourites menu has our guests coming back time and time again. Open ALL day EVERY day.
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I went to the restaurant with a group of friends. Having been before I was quite pleased with the choice as the last time I had visited it was amazing, unfortunately this time it wasn't to be.

I had the half lobster and scallop dish, the lobster was over cooked and the scallops nothing to shout out about, my friend had the tagine and having asked what it was served with (typical Moroccan dish) the waitress replied pasta, although sure no pasta was served with this dish and I wouldn't expect there to be either! Surely you know what's on the menu!

Whilst half way through eating our main courses we were asked if we wanted to look at deserts, at this point we politely declined as we wanted to finish our meal first, there also started clearing our main plates while one of the girls was still eating, it just felt really rushed and as if they were pushing us to finish as it was near what they consider closing time.

I'm not saying dont try it, maybe we just had an unlucky night Burke sure there's better seafood restaurants in Edinburgh willing to give that little extra!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,432)

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

It's absolutely worth every penny . 5 star :-) the food is really good and the portions are big too . A must go !

Reviewed December 29, 2012

i appreciate that it is 19:30 just now and calling to make a reservation during service is annoying because the people are working, but the cold sharp and just rude way i was spoken to over the phone means i will never return to this restaurant. its just not cool, they must be fine for custom and money - they are not getting mine though i will take it somewhere else.

3  Thank richard m
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We ended up here after our first two choices didn't have tables available. Didn't think it would be so difficult to find a table at 6:30pm on a weeknight. I suspect this restaurant is probably better if you are planning a big night out; we just wanted to eat. At £14 for fish and shrimp and chips we thought it a big overpriced, but the food was good.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I ate here on a Saturday evening after being very fortunate to eat at "Michael Neave's Kitchen and Whisky bar" on the Friday evening.

I'm not sure if booking a table at 17:30 on a Saturday evening meant the waiters and waitresses had not got into their stride yet.

We were welcomed nicely on entry. We were offered the option to store our shopping behind the till prior to seating, which we accepted. This was a good idea as our table was tightly packed against the half wall upstairs overlooking a sunken floor. On the other side of the table was a very narrow walkway with tables very closely sited near ours. (More on that later.)

On the seating plan I have the distinct feeling that they want to place tables for two, in not exactly the best areas of the restaurant. Keeping the better areas for tables of four and above.
The other table for two was sited immediately adjacent to the top of the stairs where there would also be lots of traffic.So not great either.

The surface area of the table was very small and could not hold the champagne chiller and our plates etc. A waitress brought a chiller on a stand to the table. One of the waiters sided up to her and suggested that perhaps this chiller might get knocked over by another guest walking by. Indeed that may have happened. As I said earlier, a little too cramped.

I ordered the following

Seafood tagine, clams, squid, mussels, coley, king prawns £15.00

Sticky toffee pudding, butterscotch sauce £5.50
cream or vanilla ice cream (or both) (Yes...I did have both.)
This was a very good sticky toffee pudding. No issues here.

The seafood tagine was very tasty and very spicy(which I like). Unfortunately there was one tiny (mussel meat sized piece of coley. (Coley is an inexpensive fish in Scotland often regraded as cod's poor relation). This meant that the rest of the meat bulk was only supplied by the clams, squid, mussels and three King Prawns. I brought this to the attention of the waiter who said "That's just the way the dish is served!"

My wife chose

Confit Gressingham Duck leg, thyme potato fondant, kale, chestnut sauce £17.50

The duck was cooked well and very tasty.

Raspberry & Frangipane Tartlet, honey & raspberry ice cream £5.50

My wife felt elements of this were very bitter and guess who had to swap! I understood what she meant, however the bitterness was not a problem for me and all in all a reasonably good dessert.

I was presented with the wrong bill. I mean really........Wake up it's not rocket science to have a look and check that the items matched was what was indeed ordered.

Until we enjoy the experience of the majority of the other restaurants in Edinburgh, I will not be returning.

Having ate at the excellent Michael Neave's Kitchen and Whisky Bar" restaurant, the night before, "Fishers in the City was a big let down"

1  Thank Lakes_traveller007