“Disappointing meal”

Ranked #1,479 of 2,566 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Description: A concept wine bar and restaurant, the Valvona and Crolla Vincaff�� located next to Edinburgh���s St Andrew���s Square is a must-visit for any foodie in the vicinity. Founded in 1934, Valvona and Crolla has long been at the forefront of the gourmet food movement, a frontrunner in the specialty food market and the go to for a true taste of Italy. Here at the Valvona and Crolla Vincaff��, visitors are offered the opportunity to sample all of the best products on offer from the famed delicatessen and wine merchant in the comfort of a cosy but modern restaurant and bar on the first floor or down in the caff��, with its bustling Milan vibe and own piazza dining space. Quality ingredients are key to the Vincaff�� menu, which is full of Italian charm. Breads are made on site using V&C���s own imported high grade flours, wine all bears the notorious V&C seal of approval and is stored in the cutting edge Cruvinet system and olive oil is all of the brands own Fior���Fiore label.
Reviewed February 28, 2014

After having some lovely meals at this restaurant on previous visits to Edinburgh, I was looking forward to eating there again with my friend. We were very disappointed. First of all there was hardly anyone there (we were early but it didn't fill up as time went on). We had a very tasty starter and looked forward to our mains. My seafood linguine arrived - plenty of seafood but lacking in any zip of chilli. My friend's dish arrived - the 'leg of pork' meat she was expecting turned out to be slices pork meat sausage arranged over a (scanty) bed of 'stew lentils' (sic). My dish was uninspiring and my friend had been misled. We did mention this to the waitress who grudgingly apologised and compensated us with a glass of wine each. On a brighter note, the wines were very good and priced reasonably. Please Valvona & Crolla - restore yourself to your former glory!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

we had a lovely lunch here, it was first class great wine wonderful soup pasta main great coffee ,very good value

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We recently had a very good late lunch at Vin Caffe. The pasta specials are authentic dishes such as pumpkin ravioli and tagliatelle with wild boar or lamb ragu. They have a very good range of wines by the glass and the setting is informal and relaxed. Convenient location just off St Andrew's square.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Visited with my daughter for a late lunch / coffee.
Very disappointing results, my Macchiato was at best 35% espresso coffee and 65% foamed milk. A bad start about to get worse. When my daughter's foccacia with emmental, "fresh ham" and mortadella arrived, things got worse. My daughter has worked in high end Delicatessens for several years and is familiar with all the produce offered. She is adamant that the Emmental was not so, probably supermarket bought as a substitute, similarly the mortadella was not found to be authentic and the ham not freshly carved but packaged, processed fodder. Then there was the "organic apple juice". Very poor quality, seemed to me to be made from concentrate, probably also a cheap supermarket purchase.
Dissapointing in the extreme for a long established family business with such a proud reputation. And the prices are verging on "rip off" level. We will not be returning.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I loved this place and I don't understand the negative reviews elsewhere.
The service was excellent, the menu was limited (it was lunchtime after all) but the food was great. We shared a huge antipasto, and the girls yummed up the dessert. Theer was even a haggis pizza as an option - only in Scotland!

Yes, not cheap but a very pleasant experience and wondering back through the shop with all the lovely delicacies was an entertainment in its own right.

Would definitely go again.