Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $20.37
from $12.73
from $81.11
19,867 results
All reviews natural history roof terrace all ages free entry interactive exhibits rainy day few hours beautiful building great for kids on display couple of hours great place to visit visiting edinburgh royal mile dolly science technology
Selected filters
Reviewed February 10, 2019

A great place for both Adults and Children.

There are so many different "Nooks and Crannys" in the Museum that we MUST have missed something!

We, a party of 3 Adults & 2 Children (Ages 6 & 10) thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Entrance is Free and Donations are welcomed; I thought that it was certainly worth a £2 per head donation!

We will have to return, the Children agreed!!

Reviewed February 9, 2019 via mobile

I love Museums. I used to love the NMS. I have fond memories of visiting as a child, as a student and as a mother. I don't visit often now. I miss the Museum.
I took the kids to the NMS. They are 8 and 13 years old. We had been talking about China and early civilizations, so the Museum made sense.
Firstly, the Museum is free - fantastic. It has a donation box but it is free.
So my bugbear is the exhibits. They look beautiful; they are carefully laid out, put up and arranged. The whole place is truly aesthetically pleasing. But... and it's a big but.... I find the exhibits devoid of educational merit. There is little information. The information there is, is hard to find. I find the whole place a little like a cross between theme park museum and art gallery museum with a bit of Top Trump's thrown in.
Okay 3 galleries were closed to change the exhibits. Remaining open were the animal bit (Top Trump) and technology (Theme Park) and 20th century design and clothes (art gallery) and a gallery about music and the Scottish bit. We did find a rather magnificent Chinese throne but it was in the context of the man who brought it back to Scotland.
I didn't fill me with joy. I didn't have questions I needed to rush home and find out. I wasn't inspired. It felt empty. I was disappointed.

2  Thank 607annetteg
NtlMuseumsScotland, Manager at National Museum of Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2019

Thanks for your review. We’re sorry you had an unsatisfactory experience at the National Museum of Scotland. Our visitor experience team received the comments you posted in the museum and we will be in touch shortly.

Reviewed February 9, 2019 via mobile

An amazing place with so much to see & things to do/play with. If the weather is bad you could spend the time going from room to room on the various floors. There is a cloakroom where you can leave your coat and also a couple of eating places.

Reviewed February 9, 2019 via mobile

Under a single roof you can discover what secrets rest in Egyptian sarcophagi, how you size up next to a giraffe, or delve into the Kingdom of the ancient Scots. A visit to Scotland’s National Museum offers a comprehensive view of the world we live in, with galleries that cover the wonders of the nature, the mysteries of exotic cultures, scientific innovation, art, design, and, of course, the history and people of Scotland. You can even participate in a free themed tour, which happen daily at 13:00 and can focus on anything from Scottish snuff boxes to animal survival.

Reviewed February 7, 2019 via mobile

The building itself is absolutely beautiful, and within is a warren of rooms filled with interesting stuff! From robots to Egyptian mummies, there's something for everyone. My only criticism is the small lifts for which there was always a sizeable queue. There's a lot of stairs and only one escalator that I saw, so accessibility could be a bit of an issue - it's all accessible, but if you have wheels (buggy, wheelchair) or mobility problems you might spend a lot of time waiting in lift queues.