“Do not plan to sleep at The Place” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Place

The Place
Ranked #113 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Do not plan to sleep at The Place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I am a serving member of the armed forces and have come back from deployment for R&R to get married and have a short honeymoon, staying at "the place", which we chose due to it's excellent location.

We checked in and were initially impressed, the decor was stylish and very clean. The room was on the 4th floor with no lift, which was fine as we are both able and fit. The room was pleasant but very small with no AC. Due to this you are required to open the windows or the room becomes hot and stuffy quickly, which is the start of the problem. As the room looks out onto the street in front you will be woken by people on the street during the night frequently, if you sleep through this you will definitely not sleep through the disc-saw and generator at 8am each day, even with the windows closed there is no hiding the sound.

We complained to reception, stated that it was our honeymoon also. The answer was polite but simply "we cannot do anything", we asked to be moved to the back and were given a "no" after a 30 second computer check. Admittedly they may not have control over the roadworks at the front, but they must have know these have been going on and should not be selling the rooms at the same rate. On our final morning we got up at 7 am to check out as soon as possible, I genuinely have had better nights sleep while deployed. The hotel required the balance to be paid up front, if not I would have refused to pay and would have found a better hotel nearby.

I would not recommend the hotel to anyone as we gave the staff a chance to rectify the problem but were given no alternative and were quickly fobbed off.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the rooms at the front!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iain M
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear IanM

Thanks for posting a review and giving us an opportunity to express our views on a frustrating situation.

When you made your booking we were not aware that the road-works outside the hotel would be extended into our peak season. That decision was taken without our input or consultation and with no regard whatsoever for the impact it would have on our customers.

During several meetings with the City of Edinburgh Council we were specifically assured and given a cast iron guarantee that there would be no operational road-works outside the hotel during the Edinburgh Festival.

Sorry to say that we were badly let down on this promise and the impact, which you acknowledge was beyond our control has been damaging to our business. Damage which we will not be compensated for.

So, whilst I am terribly sorry that your special stay was disrupted, we are in no way responsible for the noise outside the hotel. We were not able to move you to another room because the hotel was full and I hope and trust that, whilst we were not able to resolve the issue, we dealt with you with a degree of sympathy and understanding which we certainly felt at the time.

I would invite you to contact me personally so that we might be able to take a look at how we might proceed here. Despite not being responsible we would like to try and make it up to you in some way. I hope that you will do that and look forward to hearing from you.

smclay@yorkplace-edinburgh.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Great location and a pretty good first impression.
Then it went downhill a little.

Receptionist couldn't log herself into her computer (!) No real problem for me, but she got stressed.
Room (#3801 iirc) was like an underground bunker, large room, but very little light and about as welcoming as a Travelodge on a rainy day. Few amenities other than a kettle and three tea bags.
Shower needs a damned good clean, as does the one window which was caked with grime - a drag of a finger across the glass was all I needed to know (thank you!)

TV bolted way high up the wall so you'll crick your next watching it and over half of the channels non-functional.

However, the main issues were these...
The room was adjacent to a kitchen work room/store, so I had someone banging about ALL evening till gone midnight AND THEN from 0615 the next morning - loud enough to prevent sleep.

Breakfast - touted as Full Scottish, I believe - was basic. Stewed cooked food in a warming tray that never got refreshed, THE most basic bread for toast, very limited selection of fruits and the most magic comment ever "On no, we don't do bacon here" (with ultra-patronising and disinterested tone).

Add to that a seemingly never ending stream of cleaning staff dragging and clattering their filthy vaccuum cleaner, (full, sloppy) bucket and mop right through the restaurant as you're getting your self-service breakfast certainly creates an impression.

Great potential wasted perhaps. The building is simply fantastic, and the main rooms very nicely decorated. That gets an extra "blob" on the ring from me (from 2 to a dizzy 3)

However, the rooms and staff need renovating and bringing up to standard to really justify the price.

They quote "Our brand new standard rooms offer comfortable space in a contemporary
environment" - I'd beg to differ having stayed a midweek night at £153.05 (!)

I have no doubt that the response here will be that it was "Festival month", but that can't be a valid excuse for poor room quality nor for disinterested staff.

(Overnight 20th August 2013)

Room Tip: On check-in make sure you're not underground, nor near a utility room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew C
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear amdrewC

Thanks for your review

I am sorry that the hotel was not to your liking.

We had a new member of staff accessing the store next to your room who hadn't been fully briefed as to the silent approach required there. I am sorry if he disturbed you.

Our breakfast receives a great many compliments, is regularly refreshed throughout the morning and consists of cooked items of the highest quality. I am sorry you didn't enjoy it but I can confidently say that this is a personal taste issue.

Our operational procedures concerning morning housekeeping tasks are under review and your comments have been passed to the head housekeeper. This is not an easy problem to resolve because of the layout of the hotel but your remarks are valid.

Despite it being 'Festival Month' we went to great lengths to ensure that we were not overpriced and offered value for money to visitors to the city. I am sure you checked prices at other establishments before you booked and found that to be the case.

Readers should once again note that we do not have any rooms here which are 'underground'

Hotel Manager.
Albinyana, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Of course finding somewhere to stay at a reasonable price during the Edinburgh festival is a nightmare but we thought we had done quite well when we booked this place....Non refundable I guess means they don't care what you think once you've paid because we ended up in a mini mini room on the third floor with no lift access so a very long haul up the stairs to bed. We were there for 5 nights during which we had to live out of our suitcases as there was no wardrobe or any other kind of storage space.One of the bonuses of the place we were told was the stylish bar but this was closed most of the time and certainly not open late in the evening when we would have enjoyed a drink on our way to bed.On the plus size I could say the location was good, easy access to the train & bus stations however, it was extremely noisy during our visit as the street was in the midst of overhaul to prepare it for the new tramway.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter, insist on ground or 1st floor room at most cos no lift.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear 428Chris

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I am not really sure what type of room you booked as opposed to the actual room occupied. I can only assume that we provided what you booked so I am sorry if that didn't meet your needs.

Our bar is available 24 hours for resident in accordance with our licence and is always staffed or attended by the night team. Very occasionally the bar will be momentarily unmanned as the staff member may have to replenish stock etc, but there are no lengthy periods where the bar is 'closed' or even unmanned.

Our future guests will be pleased to know that THE TRAMWORKS HAVE FINISHED and we look forward to seeing our first 'test tram' in the next few weeks before the service goes 'live' next spring. The road outside has re-opened and the drillers and diggers have all gone, hopefully never to return.

Thanks again for your review

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Yes they did not have a lift. We were on the top floor, we are young and not fit but it is not the end of the world. It seems we were put into a suite! A huge room right at the top of the building with an amazing view. We didn't ask for it and we weren't told, just nicely surprised. We were able to leave our bags as we arrived early and when we were shown to our rooms our bags had already been put in there and coats hung up. The shower was great, bed was comfy, but it was a little loud at night. My other half slept badly both nights we were there. The staff were all very helpful and polite. Didn't think much to the restaurant they recommended though. And on our final morning we were woken up by a man showing guests into our room!!! I'm not quite sure how that mistake was made but I was not happy about it. Luckily we were just in bed and not up getting ready! That was my only issue though really, and they just ignored it - we did not even receive an apology which I thought was rude. Otherwise- amazing place. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2013
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear BexyQ

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay.

We are able on some occasions to surprise guests with a free upgrade so I am pleased you enjoyed that little extra.

Having staff intrude during your stay is of course, not acceptable and I have briefed everyone to be doubly sure that a room is vacant before entering. We made a mistake on this occasions and I am very sorry.

Many thanks for your kind comments and I hope to see you back soon.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed three nights at this comfortable, stylish hotel with wonderful views of the Firth of Forth and Edinburgh (from the third floor room I stayed in). It is centrally-located and the staff are helpful and charming. The breakfast (pre-book to get it for less), though not included, is well worth it at just under £10 for the full everything. I had eggs Florentine and they were cooked to perfection. I would have liked more fresh fruit and for the pastries to be available until the end of breakfast (all gone on 2nd and 3rd days), but there was plenty of everything else.

The climb to my room would have been helped by a lift, but one of the staff carried my bags up and down, which was great. This is my second stay and I'd definitely come back in future. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CPTRaveller2013

Thanks for you review of the hotel following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoy it here and hope you keep returning for many years. If you care to contact me in person the next time you wish to book, I will ensure that your continued loyalty is recognised and rewarded in some way.

Thanks again and see you again soon

Hotel Manager.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Upon arrival at The Place we were offered an upgrade on our room to a Suite which was a very pleasant surprise and a great start to our trip. The room was beautifully clean with a great selection of tea and coffees, the room had amazing views of the city also. We had lunch in the bar at the hotel which was really nice and good selection, location of the hotel is perfect and very central for exploring Edinburgh. Staff were all friendly and helpful and I would highly recommend a stay here!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 14 frang

Thanks for taking the time to post a review

We love the response we get to our random free upgrades which we do from time to time (no requests please) and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Hope to see you back again soon. Who knows. You might be lucky twice !!!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

A simply beautiful hotel in a great location though, after a hard days sightseeing which included staggering up hills and far too many steps in the City I did often grumble and complain that 'it had moved' and why did I book this one and not another - but once we stepped through the door my grumbles disappeared - the hotel was quiet, calm and inviting unlike others that are right in the heart of the noise of the city centre. And to be honest it is only 10 minutes from Waverley Bridge where the airport bus stand is located.
When I was doing my research I came across The Place and thought it perfect as a surprise for my husband’s 50th birthday. I looked at the availability and found that the only room available was the Cosy Room, I wasn’t sure as we were staying four nights so started to look at others but kept coming back to The Place but, I eventually booked the Cosy. Our room was located down a flight of stairs in the basement area and it is indeed cosy, but absolutely fine and was made to feel light and airy with a large skylight which had blackout blinds and opens wide enough (all by remote) to offer great ventilation. The bathroom was fairly large though, an extra shelf or hook would have been great as there wasn’t enough room for toiletry bags etc (us women have lots of toiletries) All in all our accommodation was, bright, light, comfy and clean. No complaints whatsoever.
A previous reviewer commented that she arrived early and found the staff rude - well we also arrived early (11.35am) and obviously couldn't check in either, staff advised us we could leave our luggage and come back which we did - we checked in quickly were shown around the hotel and to our room where our luggage was waiting for us - the previous reviewer obviously caught the staff on an off 'minute' – all the staff were absolutely charming.
The hotel is decorated wonderfully - I loved every detail the decoration a lot of money has obviously been spent updating it but keeping the original period features.
Breakfast was very filling and they offered a great choice - cereal, fruit and yoghurt, toast, croissants, cooked breakfast plus they offered a menu of extras that the chef will prepare which were also included in the price.
Finally, many have commented on the helpfulness of the staff, which I have to agree were polite and friendly, I simply can't single one out as they were all a credit to the hotel.
If we ever return to Edinburgh we will absolutely check in to The Place

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kalimo

Thanks very much for your kind comments

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your comprehensive and excellent review is very welcome.

I hope that we see you again sometime in the future

Thanks again