The Place
  • Room Service
$106
$96
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$168
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
$654
$509
1,139 results
All reviewsno liftyork placetop floorvelux windowdouble showerbasement roomhuge roomlovely hoteltram linesuperior roomboutique hotelprinces streetcentral locationmain attractionsstayed here for one nightfull scottish breakfasttea coffee
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Our overall experience of The Place hotel was good, however due to the quality and size of room we received for the price paid I have marked this hotel as average for value. We have stayed in many hotels throughout the world and paid substantially less for what we recieved at The Place. The room was small and there were dirt marks on the walls of both the bedroom and the bathroom.

Apart from these minor issues Edinburgh is a beautiful city, and this hotel is ideally located to explore it. If asked would I stay here again, the truthful answer would be no unless I stumbled across a very good deal!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Irish_Bubble
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Irish_Bubble

Many thanks for your review.

We take the greatest care to ensure that we are competitively priced against other hotels in the city of a similar nature. Edinburgh, for varying reasons is not at the cheap end of places to stay and we therefore appreciate that value for money is an essential. I am sorry that you felt we did not achieve that on this occasion although I would imagine we were similarly priced, if not lower than many other 4 star hotels in the city centre.

You will find that the pricing becomes much more keen in the off peak months and that would certainly be a time to check us out for a bargain deal.

We would hope to see you back at some stage

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Just back from weekend stay at this hotel, and was very impressed. Staff were great, food good and our room was something else!! Huge bed and lots of space. Good selection at breakfast with both buffet selection and cooked to order items available. Very close to all the shops and train station. Only issue we had was a very loud lot of guys who sat in resident bar till after 6 in the morning, no attempt by staff to keep the noise down and could hear just about every word they said, dont mind a bit of fun but also like to get some sleep which prove to be impossible on Saturday night, that said had a good weekend and would return to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aberdeen040

Dear Aberdeen040

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

So pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you back sometime soon

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stay regular in Eadinburgh and do have my hotels that I go to all the time, however I can across the Place as my usual hotel was full.
It was a very pleasent suprise, and also located in a lovely part of this fantastic city

very clean warm welcome food nice

recommend !

Room Tip: City too good to stay in your room !!! if you want a quiet time ask for room at the back of the hotel as the front will be noisey due to traffic
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank paul w

Dear paul w

Thanks for reviewing the hotel after your stay.

I hope that we have convinced you to come back and stay on a regular basis. You would be most welcome and we offer very competitive rates for guests who return on a regular basis. I would be happy to discuss that with you privately if you care to get in touch

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I along with another couple are just back from a two night stay in this hotel, we booked this as a two night deal with an evening meal with a bottle of fizz and chocolates on arrival, we arrived about 6.30 on the Friday night and check in was a dream and we got asked if we wanted our fizz now or later, as we were eating in the hotel that evening we asked if we could have one now and the other with our meal and this was no issue, we got rooms 3065 and 3064 suites on the first landing and wow what more can I say they were fantastic, two of the best hotel rooms I have seen in a while.we ate in the hotel that evening menu was a bit limited but the four of us enjoyed what we had especially the cheese boards, only comment was we tried to order a nice bottle of red wine, went for the most expensive on the menu only to be told sorry none left, tried again and the same again none left third attempt we were lucky.

This hotel is only a five to ten minute walk to the centr of Edinburgh so we headed up town for a few drinks, a lot of work going on at the moment for the tram network so roads are a bit of a building site, just a comment no fault of the hotel, arrived back about midnight had a couple of drinks in the bar area then off too bed.

Great nights sleep until the workmen started early morning outside the hotel on the tram works 6am I think it was :0( our friends never heard it as their room looked out the back yet agin not the hotels fault but at the moment we thought the back rooms were quieter.

Down for breakfast fantastic self service menu plus you can order selected items from the kitchen, only comment no bacon, black pudding and it is beef sausages not everyone's choice! Found out why, the people that own the hotel are Muslim and as we know they do not eat pork, so ok understand and accepted their religious belief until my friend reminded me Muslims do not drink alcohol but happily sell that in the hotel and take your money for that - a little hipicritical???? This did not ruin our stay just a comment!

Saturday we were out all day and returned to the hotel tired mid eveningg and decide to have a couple of drinks in our room to get the benefit of having such a lovely room, we all went to bed about midnight only to be wakened up by what I can only describe as a party going on down stairs at 5am, we found out that they had a group of guys on a stagger also staying in the hotel and this was them carrying on their parting in the lounge area then going outside for their smoking, obviously well the worse for ware due to the noise and language they were using!!! This effected all four of us but not wanting to cause a scene we never complained but we all said surely the night management should have put an immediate stop to these antics!!!

Breakfast again was of a high standard although still missing essential items of a full Scottish breakfast, check out was no problem and they even offered to keep our bags for us as we did not get our train until late afternoon which was a real bonus .
All in all a fantastic weekend in a great hotel in a fantastic location but looking forward to getting a full nights sleep tonight, if it was not for the comments above I would have given 5 stars

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DerekfaeAberdeen
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear DerekfaeAberdeen

Many thanks for your comprehensive review.

I need to apologise for the fact that two of the wines you selected were not in stock. This certainly shouldn't have happened and we have discussed the whys and wherefores in our weekly meeting so that it doesn't happen again. There was an element of external error which we have address with our supplier.

The tram-works start between 8am and 9am at the moment. You must be mistaken with 6am as this would be illegal and we would not tolerate it as a significant local business..

I wont go too deeply into the faith of the owners of the property, which you, somewhat disappointingly, highlighted as being an issue. Suffice to say that we provide an excellent cooked Scottish cooked breakfast and the hotel is fully licensed to supply alcohol.

I am also sorry that the gentlemen availing themselves of the late night bar facilities, led to a disturbed sleep. Had you called the night manager this would have been addressed immediately and the bar would have been closed had the situation justified such action.

Somewhat strangely, you seem to have had a great time here overall and your marks are very welcome. We hope to see you again at some stage in the future

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Place for 5 nights and had a very enjoyable experience. We were checked in quickly and taken to our room on the forth floor; there is no elevator but this honestly is not an issue, and the décor of the stairwell is quite a sight. The room itself- a standard double- was very pleasant, a decent size with a lovely view over Edinburgh and the Forth. The bathroom contained a rainfall shower, and wherever the hotel source their water from is amazing, because it was exceptionally soft and left my hair very shiny and sleek; no need for straighteners!
The tramworks outside the hotel were not an issue to us and we were not disturbed by them, although our room was at the back. Likewise we heard no noise from other guests in the stairwell or adjacent rooms. My only issue was that the wall between the room and the en suite seemed to be very thin, meaning you could hear every sound in the bathroom; I'd recommend out of politeness turning on the television if your company requires a lavatory break.
The staff seemed to be very discreet; we were out late most evenings and as a result did not rise early- we were never disturbed in the morning, and were always welcomed with fresh towels outside the door. Even on days we did not make it out the hotel until the early afternoon we'd return to find the room had been made up; very satisfied with the consideration of the cleaning staff to our somewhat unsociable hours.
The room was rather warm at night, even with the window open all the way; we realised that the curtains, although wonderfully thick to prevent sunlight penetration in the mornings, did prevent airflow. We found propping one slightly out with a chair allowed more adequate airflow, although I think in the deep summer in July/August it could end up very hot.
Location is this hotel's best selling point; it's in the very heart of Edinburgh in the New Town. You are a five minute walk from George Street and Princes' Street which have a vast array of shops, bars, cafes and restaurants- we ate at a different place every evening, and you are completely spoiled for choice. It is the perfect location to get out and explore the city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ams645

Dear ams645

Many thanks for your comprehensive review.

We are certainly hoping to have a long hot summer and make use of the fans we have on stand by for warm nights The weather has been beautiful for several weeks now and long may it continue.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back here soon