The Place
$205
$299
$281
1,139 results
All reviewsno liftyork placetop floorvelux windowdouble showerbasement roomhuge roomlovely hoteltram linesuperior roomboutique hotelprinces streetcentral locationmain attractionsstayed here for one nightfull scottish breakfasttea coffee
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hotel was fantastic,Friendly staff and nothing was to much trouble,Rooms were clean and to a high standard. We have just come back after 3 days here and loved ever minute of it. If you visit here a trip to the greyfrairs bobby pub is a must....yet again we came across lovely staff and the food was excellent, would deffinately go back and stay in the same place ...... take good walking shoes and wrap up well ...... brilliant

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Meg J
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Meg J,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for mentioning in particular, the friendly service and high standards of cleanliness - the team really appriciate the recognition!
I look forward to seeing you on your next.
Best regards,

Reviewed November 1, 2012

stayed here for one night on the 26th of october, chose this hotel as its really close to the playhouse. i didnt realise quite how central it is only 2 mins from the shops!!! lovely loooking hotel, arrived an hour early but were allowed to check in. staff were lovely especially the american girl on reception and the boy who carried our bags. Booked a twin room and it was huge!!! good size bathroom and a powerful shower, my mother was particually impressed with the "disco light" headboard. was made to feel really welcome and comfortable. would definately stay again.

Room Tip: we stayed on the first floor at the back of the hotel. really quiet with a fab view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank p_land_sherrif
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear p_land_sherrif

Many thanks for your very kind remarks. Our staff take real pleasure from personal mentions and our receptionist Spenser in particular says hello and thank you.

I am so pleased that you both enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

My fiance and I are just back from a weekend in Edinburgh for my birthday. Hotel is lovely and clean and the staff (James, Ben and Billy) were all very courteous and know how to make guests feel welcome and comfortable. Obviously the road works outside for the trams is not ideal but this is not a fault of the hotel and therefore shouldn't be included in a review .

For reasons unknown we had no hairdryer in our room but one was delivered to our room within minutes of our request.

The only small bad point would be that although the bar is beautifully decorated, modern and clean , there was no live music nor atmosphere. Though the Ben was a great host.

Would definitely stay in this hotel again! And we would both like to wish Ben all the best in his cricketing career :)

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Dunnie25

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.

We have managed to secure a great little team to deliver our evening/night service. James, Ben and Billy are a great mix of characters and they all say hello and thank you for the kind comments.

We try to maintain a low key atmosphere in the bar as it seems to be what most guests want. There is plenty of choice in the immediate area for a bit more uptempo and even high energy bars and we feel we offer a more chilled out alternative. We have experimented with live music at weekends and hope to do more of this next year if we can find the right artist to fit the profile and image we are trying to present. Our expansion plans may make it possible to have live music and a bigger vibe in another part of the hotel further away from the bedrooms. More news on this will appear on our website as and when we have it.

Thanks again for you helpful remarks

Stephen.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Place is a very modern and smartly presented hotel, we were impressed by the reception area upon entering. We stayed in a 'City Double' or a standard/small double room which was located on the lower ground floor. The room was small, but well equipped and clean. The bathroom was cosy, but also very clean and smartly presented.
Sadly this is where our positive experience ended. Despite the room being in the basement, there was an electric skylight window, which was a nice touch to add light; however it did not work. Ordinarily this wouldn't have been a huge problem, but the heating in the room was blasting permanently despite us turning the radiator off. The room became incredibly hot and we contacted reception to ask if something could be done. Our request was met with a dismissive attitude from a female receptionist, who I felt didn't care about the problem. We had a very hot, uncomfortable and sleepless night. No offer of a room switch was made or any real apology offered. In the morning a different receptionist was more helpful and when we returned to our room the next evening our window had been repaired so we were able to cool the room temperature; although the radiator was still blasting away! Not particularly environmentally friendly.
Our relief at the reduced temperature was short-lived as I realised that my shopping bag, containing purchases, had gone missing. I went to reception (in a bit of a panic) to ask them to look into this and the third female receptionist rang housekeeping in an attempt to track them down. A bizarre exchange took place in which the head of housekeeping said she was aware of the bag in question, but it was not explained to me why they had been taken from the room. The items were returned to me in my room, but the shopping bag was no longer there. I found the whole situation very odd as the bag was obviously not rubbish. We were offered one free drink from the bar as an apology; however I did not take them up on the offer as the bar was empty and therefore a bit lacking in atmosphere.
The hotel was fine, but our stay was not a relaxing one. I would have expected a bit more from a highly rated hotel. Despite the majority of the staff being very friendly, I felt that they were never quite sure what to do in a bad situation and that there was no visible management of what seemed to be a very young staff. Generally a disappointing stay.
We will not be returning to The Place in the future.

Room Tip: City Doubles are to be avoided.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sophie B

Dear Sophie B

Thank you for taking the time to draw these matters to my attention. I was made aware of some of the issues you had during your stay and I wish I had the opportunity to speak to you in person whilst you were here.

Although your bag was left in a area of the room where we might expect to find discarded bags or rubbish, it was absolutely our responsibility to check the contents and ensure we were doing the right thing by disposing of it. We clearly didnt do that and I have instigated new procedures so that we dont repeat this. I am just pleased that, at the end of the day, your property was recovered and returned. I accept that we did not deal with this as well as we could have and I apologise.

When you add to the above a fault with the heating in your particular room, which we have now fixed but couldnt do whilst you were here, I can understand your disappointment with your stay.

We do have a fairly young, and in some cases inexperienced team in the hotel. However they have all been selected because of their customer facing attributes and training is targetted specifically at meeting the needs of our guests.There is always at least one, and usually two or more, managers on duty to support the team and deal with any guest concerns or issues.

I hope that you might consider that these matters were a 'one off' and will revisit us at some point. I would be delighted if you would contact me personally in the event that you decide to return and I will personally oversee your booking and ensure your next stay is a much more pleasing one.

Stephen.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My Fiancee and I spent two nights here and it was lovely. Everything was great about our stay. We stayed stayed in the standard sized room and booked through laterooms.com however would have been cheaper going direct through the hotel website. The hotel was excellent value for money. Our room was on the top floor which was a slight effort to get to but was certainly worth it as the view we had was just fantastic, seeing all over Edinburgh and across the water to fife i think. The best were comfy and we had a really good sized tv. Very handy for the bus station and to all the shops at st james and princess street. We got engaged here in the hotel itself and the Manager provided us with free champagne. The staff were brilliant and did all they could to ensure that we had the best stay possible. The were great in recommending places to eat aswell. We did not try the food at the hotel for no other reason than we wanted to go into the town. Good effort 'The Place Hotel' !!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor overlooking edinburgh and fife if you dont mind climbing a couple of floors. Did not experience any tram work noise on this floor at all.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Lee W

Thanks for taking the trouble to post a review.

We have had several proposals in the hotel and it always generates excitement amongst the staff. I am so pleased that it went well for you and that you both enjoyed a memorable stay. Your point concerning the hotel's own website being cheaper is a valid one that readers should take note of before booking.

Wishing you both the very best of luck in the future

Regards