“Warm and friendly :)”
Review of The Place

The Place
Ranked #108 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My fiance and I are just back from a weekend in Edinburgh for my birthday. Hotel is lovely and clean and the staff (James, Ben and Billy) were all very courteous and know how to make guests feel welcome and comfortable. Obviously the road works outside for the trams is not ideal but this is not a fault of the hotel and therefore shouldn't be included in a review .

For reasons unknown we had no hairdryer in our room but one was delivered to our room within minutes of our request.

The only small bad point would be that although the bar is beautifully decorated, modern and clean , there was no live music nor atmosphere. Though the Ben was a great host.

Would definitely stay in this hotel again! And we would both like to wish Ben all the best in his cricketing career :)

• Stayed: October 2012
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Dunnie25

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.

We have managed to secure a great little team to deliver our evening/night service. James, Ben and Billy are a great mix of characters and they all say hello and thank you for the kind comments.

We try to maintain a low key atmosphere in the bar as it seems to be what most guests want. There is plenty of choice in the immediate area for a bit more uptempo and even high energy bars and we feel we offer a more chilled out alternative. We have experimented with live music at weekends and hope to do more of this next year if we can find the right artist to fit the profile and image we are trying to present. Our expansion plans may make it possible to have live music and a bigger vibe in another part of the hotel further away from the bedrooms. More news on this will appear on our website as and when we have it.

Thanks again for you helpful remarks

Stephen.

There are newer reviews for The Place

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Place is a very modern and smartly presented hotel, we were impressed by the reception area upon entering. We stayed in a 'City Double' or a standard/small double room which was located on the lower ground floor. The room was small, but well equipped and clean. The bathroom was cosy, but also very clean and smartly presented.
Sadly this is where our positive experience ended. Despite the room being in the basement, there was an electric skylight window, which was a nice touch to add light; however it did not work. Ordinarily this wouldn't have been a huge problem, but the heating in the room was blasting permanently despite us turning the radiator off. The room became incredibly hot and we contacted reception to ask if something could be done. Our request was met with a dismissive attitude from a female receptionist, who I felt didn't care about the problem. We had a very hot, uncomfortable and sleepless night. No offer of a room switch was made or any real apology offered. In the morning a different receptionist was more helpful and when we returned to our room the next evening our window had been repaired so we were able to cool the room temperature; although the radiator was still blasting away! Not particularly environmentally friendly.
Our relief at the reduced temperature was short-lived as I realised that my shopping bag, containing purchases, had gone missing. I went to reception (in a bit of a panic) to ask them to look into this and the third female receptionist rang housekeeping in an attempt to track them down. A bizarre exchange took place in which the head of housekeeping said she was aware of the bag in question, but it was not explained to me why they had been taken from the room. The items were returned to me in my room, but the shopping bag was no longer there. I found the whole situation very odd as the bag was obviously not rubbish. We were offered one free drink from the bar as an apology; however I did not take them up on the offer as the bar was empty and therefore a bit lacking in atmosphere.
The hotel was fine, but our stay was not a relaxing one. I would have expected a bit more from a highly rated hotel. Despite the majority of the staff being very friendly, I felt that they were never quite sure what to do in a bad situation and that there was no visible management of what seemed to be a very young staff. Generally a disappointing stay.
We will not be returning to The Place in the future.

Room Tip: City Doubles are to be avoided.
3  Thank Sophie B

Dear Sophie B

Thank you for taking the time to draw these matters to my attention. I was made aware of some of the issues you had during your stay and I wish I had the opportunity to speak to you in person whilst you were here.

Although your bag was left in a area of the room where we might expect to find discarded bags or rubbish, it was absolutely our responsibility to check the contents and ensure we were doing the right thing by disposing of it. We clearly didnt do that and I have instigated new procedures so that we dont repeat this. I am just pleased that, at the end of the day, your property was recovered and returned. I accept that we did not deal with this as well as we could have and I apologise.

When you add to the above a fault with the heating in your particular room, which we have now fixed but couldnt do whilst you were here, I can understand your disappointment with your stay.

We do have a fairly young, and in some cases inexperienced team in the hotel. However they have all been selected because of their customer facing attributes and training is targetted specifically at meeting the needs of our guests.There is always at least one, and usually two or more, managers on duty to support the team and deal with any guest concerns or issues.

I hope that you might consider that these matters were a 'one off' and will revisit us at some point. I would be delighted if you would contact me personally in the event that you decide to return and I will personally oversee your booking and ensure your next stay is a much more pleasing one.

Stephen.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My Fiancee and I spent two nights here and it was lovely. Everything was great about our stay. We stayed stayed in the standard sized room and booked through laterooms.com however would have been cheaper going direct through the hotel website. The hotel was excellent value for money. Our room was on the top floor which was a slight effort to get to but was certainly worth it as the view we had was just fantastic, seeing all over Edinburgh and across the water to fife i think. The best were comfy and we had a really good sized tv. Very handy for the bus station and to all the shops at st james and princess street. We got engaged here in the hotel itself and the Manager provided us with free champagne. The staff were brilliant and did all they could to ensure that we had the best stay possible. The were great in recommending places to eat aswell. We did not try the food at the hotel for no other reason than we wanted to go into the town. Good effort 'The Place Hotel' !!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor overlooking edinburgh and fife if you dont mind climbing a couple of floors...

Dear Lee W

Thanks for taking the trouble to post a review.

We have had several proposals in the hotel and it always generates excitement amongst the staff. I am so pleased that it went well for you and that you both enjoyed a memorable stay. Your point concerning the hotel's own website being cheaper is a valid one that readers should take note of before booking.

Wishing you both the very best of luck in the future

Regards

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The hotel was very centrally located, close to the train and bus stations and walking distance to Old and New Towns.The room was clean and large, staff were very pleasant. Single glazed window did not block sound of pedestrian traffic. There seemed to be a lot of unruly citizens during the night exiting the pubs further down the street so we were often awakened. Staff were unable to move us to another room during our 5 night stay. We were in the lower level, under the bar, which was also noisy with overhead foot traffic and rolling stock during the night. Bar staff had to pass by our window to access storage of liquor bottles so there was a lot of noise with the clinking of bottles. The heat in the room was at times overwhelming. There was no individual thermostat so had to ask staff, then in turn, the night manager to turn down the overall thermostat. This only worked for 1 night. With the outside noise of pedestrians it was impossible to open the window. Our stay did not leave us with a good impression.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel, otherwise go elsewhere!
2  Thank Carol F
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Carol F

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

We answer all reviews as you can probably gather, although I found your review particularly difficult to answer as the issues which caused you most concern seemed to have happened outside of the hotel perimiter and are therefore outwith our control.

There is almost always street noise in city centres and there is a degree of noise inside the hotel itself because some essential public area work has to be done whilst guests are not around. We keep our internal noise to an absolute minimum and I am sorry if you were disturbed in any way.

I am sorry that overall, your impression was not a particularly good one. I regret to say that, the heating issue apart, there would be little we could do that we dont already do to have improved things. Your point regarding asking for a quieter room is certainly valid though and I would highly recommend it for any light sleepers.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Although our initial impression was 4* boutique hotel the rooms were basic and bare. For £200 per night you would expect a wardrobe with doors, adequate storage and a fridge - everything was quite Ikea ish. The bathroom was the same with nowhere to put anything.
Worse still, in August it was hot and no air conditioning meant no sleep, particularly as the windows were secured to allow a maximum of half and inch venting.
It took 2 days to get a fan supplied to shift the stale air.
We also complained about the linen sacks which were constantly stored outside our room to no avail.
Breakfast was very good but when we returned to dine there one evening the chef had finished early! A kind barman gave us some nuts and olives!!
Well located for the city but beware of diversions if the roadworks are still being carried out - we were fortunate enough to have a room at the back of the hotel!
A real shame as the public areas and the staff are superb.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SukySomerset

Dear SukySomerset

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post a review.

I am sorry that the style of the finish in the rooms was not to your liking. Happily, most guests seem to like what we have done in the rooms.

I cant really apologise for the hot weather in August. It was lovely outdoors and a bit uncomfortable indoors at times. The window openings in all hotels are regulated for health and safety reasons and the number of occasions we actually need air conditioning in Edinburgh are so few and far between that the expense cant be justified in a Grade A listed building, given the huge amount of work that would be required. A fan should have been delivered to you without delay though and I am sorry if that was not done.

I note your kind comments concerning the staff team and hope that you might visit us again in the future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This New Town hotel is located in a row of older houses on busy York Place, but inside everything is quiet and modern (the spacious bar/restaurant looks more-than-modern), and I heard little of the city outside in my secluded, rear-facing room. Reception was friendly and the price reasonable; and I especially liked the fact that it was an easy walk from/to the train station - so can't see any reason to withhold a top rating.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Ranke,
Thank you for your review.
Delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and looking forward to welcoming you back.
Best regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed in this hotel overnight having booked tickets for a show at The Playhouse Theatre which is a 5 minute walk away so ideal place to stay.

We had also managed to book parking with the hotel and parked in Albany St on our arrival, as directed to do so by staff. After booking in a very helpful staff member accompanied by husband back to our car to direct us to the car park. Due to the roadworks it would otherwise have been a bit of nightmare for us to find although it is only a 2 minute walk from the hotel.

Our room was down in the basement and I have to say I could not fault it. We had booked the Cosy Double and that's exactly what we got. Not a huge room but big enough and nicely furnished.

Yes, there are works ongoing outside, however, we did not hear any noise from them until about half past 9 in the morning, and by then it was time to get up anyway.

The hotel has a lovely bar area which we made use of prior to our show and on returning later in the evening.

All in all a lovely little find, which we will definately use again when visiting Edinburgh.

Dear leaveittome,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Keep an eye on our website for upcoming packages. Regarding room upgrades, this can be done by booking through our website or just give us a call – the upgrade costs are very reasonable and worth every penny!
The team and I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Regards,