“It may be in a basement, but the cooking and attention to detail are at the highest level.”
Review of The Mulroy - CLOSED

The Mulroy
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This place has been getting lots of very favourable reviews so I decided to book and take my other half on Valentine's night.

And cutting to the chase it was a very good choice.

Although the menu we had was a special on offer for the occasion , I can vouch for the fact that everything we ate was utterly fantastic and we really enjoyed being looked after by the Mulroy's exemplary team.

The accent is very much on French / Scottish cooking and fantastic local ingredients take centre stage. Add into the mix a really decadent wine list and you have the perfect combination, although be careful ordering wine by the glass because that side of the menu is not cheap.

I'm afraid a few weekends have elapsed since our trip and I've mostly forgotten what we ate, but save to say it was all delicious. My partner is a very good chef herself and had nothing by praise for the cooking the ingredients and the imagination. Her duck was historic!

The ambiance is definitely old school and I suspect that is a deliberate positioning embodied by the uber posh staff and owners.

American? You're gonna love it.

Please give the Mulroy a go and look forward to an evening of sheer elegance.

2  Thank DavidDundonald

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've been dining at The Mulroy couple of times with friends and family and I need to say that it's a great place. The food is delicious, very creative and nicely presented. It's also a great value for money a specially if you go for a testing menu. There is nice warm atmosphere and friendly service. I would strongly recommend to visit this restaurant - I will go back soon ;-)

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We went there with my husband for a lunch today and again we were delighted.

This place is quiet, like a piece of heaven in the heart of Edinburgh. The atmosphere is just relaxing and of course, the food is divine...

Try their scallops, they are the best. So was the terrine and of course the chocolate fondant.... Warm and perfectly cooked ! Every dish is always so well balanced, and you always find a small touch of acidity, an unexpected combination... Besides, everything is home-made, even the bread, which arrrive slighty warm on the table.... How many restaurant in Edinburgh made their own bread ? honnestly !

We are food addicts, and this place is special. We already planned our next visit..!

The service was efficient and discret.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

... and moved nearer to me!
Excellent fine dining.
Good atmosphere, good service.
Fixed price menu of £35 for 2 courses or £39 for 3 courses.
We had the 5 course tasting menu for £48.50 each.
Pate de foie gras, scallops, sea bass fillet, a duo of pork, a dessert trio, every dish garnished and served in style.
A bottle of Sauvignon Blanc for £24 and a bottle of Merlot for £18.50.
Good value and a highlight of our weekend in Edinburgh.

1  Thank PECWirral
Reviewed February 24, 2013

having eaten in many michelin stared restaurants in the U.K. and europe i can honesty say that this is deserved of a star.
we had the 5 course tasting menu with wines to match each dish with champagne and brandies we were surprised than the bill was under 250 pounds which was around what we had expected, we had planned on going to a restaurant that had a star but couldnt be accomadated, i am rather glad we couldnt as i think we have discovered a little gem when every we are in edinburgh.

1  Thank pigwobbler