“Altogether a fine evening...................”
Review of The Mulroy - CLOSED

The Mulroy
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Superb food, we had the tasting menu with wine suggested by friendly & knowledgable staff. Thanks to all at The Mulroy for a fine evening - we both enjoyed the whole experience

1  Thank John B
MaitredMcG, Manager at The Mulroy, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear birdcontroller,

Thank you for you kind comments, the team are delighted that you had such a memorable experience, please come back again soon!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

What a lovely restaurant. Delicious food served in tastefully decorated rooms by friendly,polite staff. Our party of four all enjoyed our meals and a special effort was made in guiding my daughter-in-law who is gluten and dairy intolerant, through the menu. She especially appreciated the thoughtfulness that had gone into her pudding!
It certainly is fine dining in an elegant and relaxed atmosphere.

3  Thank rosiedog99
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The restaurant makes the best of a cramped basement flat format. There is plenty of space per diner, elegant furnishings and very generous sized tables and silver antiques. The staff were unfailingly polite and helpful. They would have fitted right in at far grander establishments.
Split into three smallish rooms, with only four couples on a Saturday lunch, we lacked atmosphere and when you are basically sharing a room with another couple, listening to each others conversation can become a distraction.
The menus were quite hard to follow with at least four major items suggested by the description of each dish, and quite easy to miss the key words. In my case I made the classic error of reading Venison and imagining something quite different from the terrine that arrived.

The food while very good, was not Michelin star quality as suggested by other reviewers. We had the standard ( peti menu ) lunch for £16.50 each. The starters, a terrine and a quiche while enjoyable, were more suggestive of ease of preparation than genius at work. The main of pheasant was a little chewy. The dessert of tart tatin ( £7 extra I think ) was the best of the bunch. We were surprised that the cheapest red wine ( £18.50 per bottle ) was out of stock, but the cheapest white wine ( same price ) was of excellent quality. The second cheapest wines were at £24, and the cheapest 125 ml glass £5.
At least there was none of the nonsense of have to order "sides" to make up a balanced main course.

Perhaps we should have tried the evening or tasting menus rather than lunch? I would certainly consider returning, but the bar for higher priced restaurants in Edinburgh is very high at present, so I don't rate it at the 7th place suggested by Tripadvisor reviews at present.

The wife was amused to be served tea ( £3.5 extra ) in what looked like a solid silver service. And that was perhaps the strongest point we experienced. High quality fittings in a relaxed space with excellent service.

3  Thank AlMcDonald
Reviewed February 3, 2013

An awesome evening , the food ,service and decor all exceeding all expectations. Being my first time in a French restaurant I was weary at first but soon enough I was in a delightful food trance . Wine was really good too , I'm now a fan of rioja . Go there.

2  Thank iwantfreefood
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Can only say this is the best restaurant I have vsited.Michellin quality food at an affordable price . Staff very welcoming and amiable.The whole ambience of the place is perfect.Unable to fault anything.Try this restaurant you wont be dissapointed.

1  Thank paula j