“Fair place but HORRID customer service”
Review of St Bernards House

St Bernards House
Ranked #348 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
“Fair place but HORRID customer service”
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

A decent B&B to stay in the Edinburgh. Fair location, old building with high ceilings. The facilities are ok but the heating is turned off at times and it was cold at the basement. The wifi is claimed to be free but turn out to be 3 pounds a day. Checkout time is at 11:00 which is bit too early. Other things are fine and nothing more.

However, the customer service is a nightmare. I booked this hotel on booking.com 40 days before my stay. They claim to have free cancellation policy but in fact they charge you full price before your stay. That was not a big issue for me as I was going to stay there anyway. However, 30 days before my stay, due to change of plan I made modification on my reservation via booking.com so I only stay for two nights intead of four. So the hotel should refund me the price of two nights as they charged me four nights and this was also confirmed by booking.com. However, I have not received any refund whatsoever. I thought it would take a while before the refund actually took place until I reached the hotel after a month and found out that they did not refund at all. Even at that point I thought alright its fine you forgot about it and it was not too late to do so now. I was wrong again! Instead of refunding me, they somewhat mistakenly charged me the amount. They realised this and did refund twice because they were meant to refund me. But they tried to conceive the fact that they have mistakenly charged me by just handing me one receipt of the refund until I found out myself. This was absolutely intolerable as I did not have much money in my account at the moment and the refund could take ages so this could actually ruin my holiday. Yet all I received was some insincere apologies and nothing more!

After all the hotel itself is fine but do take extra cares when dealing with its staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Although the attitude of the staff is nice, the room design is really problematic. Other people's toilet is in your room, right in front of your bed. If psychologically uncomfortable is not a big issue, whenever your dear neighbour use the toilet, the super loud sound will be your new alarm. If they don't turn off the light of the toilet, the fan's sound will make you headache for the whole night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights after bank holiday, few things:
Maids left the room unlocked and door open after going into clean it in which they never even emptied bins or took rubbish! Appaling when we come back late at night to find the door unlocked!
no staff around to speak to anyone! Just a contact number on the door go ring.
very small rooms! I mean tiny storage space, bathroom was meant to be an en suite but was actually a box in the room added on, with no room to swing a cat!
loaction was okay, no noise apart from a very noisy baby screaming at 5am! In which the parents onviously did nothing about! with no care to other guests at the b&b.
No lifts! Had to carry cases up 2 flights of stairs! And staff didnt offer to help at all!
so I wouldnt reccommend it st the moment until the hotel sorted out the rooms, lift & noises!

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was required to travel to Edinburgh for work at short notice and due to the festival this was the cheapest room I could find . It was perfectly comfortable and adequate for an overnight stay. First impressions of the guest house weren't that great, as I had to ring the bell about three times to get in, and was greeted by an attendant who was polite but I got the impression my arrival was something of an inconvenience for her (same when I left). Didn't exactly result in warm fuzzy feelings about the place after a 4 hour train journey! The entrance and stairs are a little shabby. I was in room 7 which was sweet with high ceilings, a lovely fireplace, a view overlooking a little garden and it was spotlessly clean. However it was really small, with little storage and an en suite unit had been built as part of the room, which made it seem even smaller (great to have ensuite though obviously - and it had a nice shower and like the room was spotlessly clean). The curtains didn't close properly and whilst the bed was a bit harder than I like, it was perfectly comfortable for one night. The guest house is in a quiet street and the area surrounding proved nice for a stroll around, as I didn't want to go into town. I did not encounter any of the noisy plumbing as mentioned by other reviewers.

Last time I stayed overnight for work in Edinburgh it was in one of the Travel lodges and whilst St Bernard's House wasn't perfect, it was preferable to the soulless rooms the TL have to offer. I would stay here again, if the price was right, but probably not for any longer than a night. Certainly no longer in room 7.

Room Tip: Room 7 is very quiet, though also very small. I don't have any knowledge of any other rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Okay, first about positive things. The B&B is situated in a lovely green area next to one of the most expensive streets in Edinburgh. There is a beautiful park just next to the hotel and the walk to the city centre is fairly short (15 minutes). The house itself is quite atmospheric - you can literally feel the old vibe there - very tall ceilings, nice decorations, for those who love history and old traditions - they will certainly like it. Also it is clean and pleasant. Now, there are certain drawbacks that did affect our stay after all. First, we had a long story with the hot water, to be more exact the lack of it. We didn't have it for two days (out of 4), and had to go to speak to management every time we wanted to have a shower so they could "turn it on". They explained that the pipe was broken but promised it would work. There is no reception as such, so you have to call the staff from downstairs and they come. The staff was quite average in communication, I wouldn't describe them as extremely helpful. They made us feel as if we were bothering them and the hot water issue was not their fault really. Hmm .. is that the way it should be? After two days of attempts to fix the hot water they agreed to change our room which did have hot water so this problem was solved. Still, it did affect our stay sadly. Among other things, room number 6 is extremely small and the toilet makes a crazy sound after you flush it. So, on the whole, it was a contradictory experience. The place is good but the staff could have been more welcoming.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Maria S
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

For a city centre hotel charging very expensive rates I was very disappointed that while one room for my party was a good size and spacious, my own room was barely larger than a cupboard with almost no storage so my clothes had to sit awkwardly on the floor. There was no discount for sleeping in this cupboard either.

On top of this there were other problems. The hotel website states Wi-Fi is free for guests but when we arrived we were told we'd have to pay extra for it. There's no included breakfast and the staff make you feel like your bothering them when you ask for something. When I asked to change rooms there was no "we're very sorry, we really want to make your stay comfortable" just a flat out "No" instead. Not very good customer service.

It's in a good location though with modern fittings (I think it's fairly recently been refitted) and a nice look to the rooms. Just don't get the box rooms!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the top rooms at the back of the hotel. The front rooms are tiny and on a cobbled ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike_Halsey
malaysia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Well done to St Bernards B&B. Was there for total of 6 days 5 nights(beginning the 3rd of June 2013) on a course in Queens Street, Very close to center of town.15 minute walk or you can always take the bus a stone throws away from the house. I got the view facing the cresent (which basically is a park) and it was gorgeous.Very reasonably priced and i hope they maintain it with a fair breakfast including. Didnt see a single cockroach nor any holes in the walls. The caretakers are extremely helpful and keen to attend to any needs I had. Wi-fi connection was also good and smooth. Bathroom was clean. I am very happy with the service. would recommend it to anyone on a vist to Edinburgh!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business