St Bernards House
The Scotsman Hotel(Edinburgh)
$156
$123
  • Room Service
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$168
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
$654
$509
  • Restaurant
All reviewscity centretwo flights of stairstea and coffee facilitiescouple of nightsquiet areacomfy bedpleasant stayprincess streetfiverhairdryer
Reviewed August 13, 2012

In short: Don't go there. Shabby place, lousy breakfast, overpriced and far to walk to center.

In long:
We stayed fo 3 nights in a double room - unfortunately in the basement, where it felt slightly damp and where we had the lovely "view" to a back-door staircase with a pile of junk and garbage in front of our windows.
The room was big and fairly clean, I'll give it that much credit. Wifi is available for 3 GBP a day which is ridiculous when you can buy a 1-month-unlimited-3G-sim card from any cell phone provider for 15 GBP. Also, you don't even get the wifi signal in the basement room, so don't bother.
We made the mistake of paying 5 GBP per day and person extra for "breakfast" - what a waste. The don't even offer the usual cooked breakfast, but unlovingly slap some dried out slices of toast and a water cooker in a stained worn down living room, so you are free to help yourself. You barely see the staff, which makes the place feel anonymous and worn down.
It is really shabby and quite far to walk to the center (about 30 minutes if you walk quickly).
Overall, I think even with the Edinburgh festival in full flow, a price of 160€/night is about 4 times higher than what that down-and-out dump deserves.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed here for four nights in the end of July. The bedroom and bathroom were both small in size. Ok bed. The room is so small that there was place for table on just one side of the bed, so nothing to put mobile/glasses on during the night on the other side. We missed some pegs behind the door for outdoor-clothes. Paid extra (3 pounds pr day) for wifi, good connection. Breakfast was 5 pounds per person, we did not try it. If you check-in after 10 pm, you have to pay 10 pounds extra. (bad service in my opinion) The guesthouse is in Stockbridge with some good restaurants around, and in walking-distance to city and also the botanical garden. Bus to/from city just outside the door. We did not see much to either the owner or other guests. Ok guesthouse, very good location, liked the neighborhood.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I would rather sleep on a park bench than stay here. I booked this dive months in advance for the Scotland v France rugby weekend, got confirmation of my booking and paid a deposit. We arrived, myself and three French friends, at 9pm only to be told that they had no record of my booking and that they were full. Being an international rugby weekend Edinburgh was fully booked. We eventually got fixed up in a private flat but our first evening was a washout. When I returned home, I took up the case with the booking site I used and was told that the guest house had received my booking only to cancel it a week later, probably to take a booking from someone willing to pay more money. They did not inform me about the cancellation, despite having my phone number and e-mail address, and also when I e-mailed them to confirm our arrival, I did not get a reply. I therefore phoned and was given no indication that they were not expecting me. Please avoid giving these dishonest "cowboys" your business and book your accomodation in a respectable establishment to enjoy your stay in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Do not choose any of the rooms, go elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank alasdairc_12
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights in this guest house. Room was small but perfect for what I needed, and it was absolutely spotlessly clean. Tea and coffee facilities are available in the room.
Parking is free from 5.30pm till 8.30 am. Its near enough to the city centre to walk but if visiting the city during the day you must find somewhere to leave the car.
The Sunday night I paid £50 but the Monday and Tuesday nights were £25 each.(Room only) What a bargain!!! (Wifi is extra.)
There was building work going on, on one of the upper floors but I was hardly effected by this.
I had a very enjoyable stay, and would definitely consider staying again, especially if i was without a car.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sachabelle
Reviewed December 24, 2011

we were given a newly refurbished superior double room & thoroughly enjoyed our weekend in edinburgh. The owners were extremely helpful & provided us local info as well as booked local sightseeing tours to the highlands. We didnt have the continental breakfast buffet but appreciated the fast wifi connection as well as a large lcd t.v in our room .The guesthouse was very peacefull & quiet throughout our stay. Will definitely visit again during the fringe festival next year.

Room Tip: opt for the superior double rooms . They are really spacious & comfortable
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple