“Cheers!”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My partner and I are both vegetarians, so we were a little worried about going to Kanpai since a lot of sushi restaurants seem to focus solely on raw fish. The selection was great, however, there were many different kinds of hand roll, maki and nigiri to choose from, as well as some hot dishes. The aubergine with sweet soy glaze was possibly the best thing I've ever seen done with a vegetable - it was sticky, rich and altogether decadent (if almost impossible to eat with chopsticks!).

I'd recommend Kanpai to any non-meat eaters who are looking to try some Japanese flavours; the quality is excellent and it's even reasonably priced.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I went with a group of 13 friends at 6pm last night, having been concerned about going to a sushi restaurant, as I'm not a great fan of fish, certainly not raw fish. We were greeted by a very friendly, smiley young lady, who showed us to our table. There were others in there already and a steady flow came in after us, until the place seemed full. A good sign for sure. We were quickly handed the menus and after a short time, our drinks orders were taken. Quite a few of us went for warmed sake, which was nice but potent. Our food orders were taken from the extensive and beautifully presented menu. Plenty of raw and cooked options, but I went for the chicken and vegetable dumplings, tempura vegetables and Tokyo Roll (crispy coated chicken and avocado). The food came after not too long a wait and in the order it was taken. The colours and presentation were amazing. Everything looked so fresh and perfectly portioned on the plates and in the tempura basket The portion sizes were also very satisfying, too much for me as it happens, so I happily shared. Everything tasted delicious, I really couldn't fault anything at all. The staff were all very friendly and attentive. It really was a lovely experience. I'd thoroughly recommend for fish eaters and non fish eaters alike!

1  Thank Egon_Rosie
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I dined here last Friday night with friends, I have to admit I have been to a few sushi restaurants but none of this quality. The presentation of the food first and foremost is incredible. The flavors are to die for. I would highly recommend the dragon rolls they are a bit more expensive than the others but worth every single penny. In the menu there are pictures of everything which helps too. I have made my reservation for Saturday evening today. :)

1  Thank redwinefinedine
Reviewed April 22, 2013

With such good fish available in Scotland, surely they could not get it wrong in Kanpai! Very good sushi in my experience, and beautifully presented. The list is not too extensive (a token soba dish, very few sides) as compared to other places, which is actually a good sign in my book.

Service was almost excessively kind, and rather quick (though admittedly it was a quite lunch, with about six or eight covers overall). Value for money is excellent (less than £50 for two with quite a bit of sashimi and a couple of beers).

I know I'll be back!

4  Thank show_me_the_dosh
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This a simple, small, cute restaurant, offering many Japanese classics. Compared to other similar places, this one stands out for the quality of the presentation, showcasing artistic sense and precision with the knife and with the hands.

Not only are the dishes are extremely pretty, but also the produce is of good quality, notably the fish. We loved a 'dragon roll sushi' with avocado, cucumber and tempura prawn (don't know how traditional that is, but oh was it good!). And a straight mackerel sushi had good fish and good rice.

Service is superkind in that way that only Japanese service can be, the room is pleasant, the prices are kind.

1  Thank thoughtfuldiner