“Excellent”

Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Dined here on business and was treated to a wonderful feast, very fresh fish and great menu variety. Quiet, relaxing dining environment after a long day of meetings. Definitely recommended.

1  Thank NMPCC100

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

After a couple of days just trying "local food" during our trip to Europe, my husband and I decided to give this well rated sushi place a try. I can't say how please we are with the dinner we had. We have been to a lot of sushi places in different parts of the world and this is definitely part of the top of the list now. And with decent price by the way. Love it!

1  Thank rgzalvarenga
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I must say this restaurant caught me by surprise. I've been on the hunt for a decent sushi joint in Edinburgh and can't believe it has taken me this long to finally set foot in this establishment. My friend and I popped by for lunch and actually came away quite impressed. You are never going to find "Michelin starred" sushi in Edinburgh, but this restaurant tries to serve up tasty yet visually appetising food. The takoyaki were well done as were the nigiri and maki sushi we tried. They had run out of tuna which was disappointing, though. The rolls were also done properly, and I was actually pleasantly surprised by how nice the dragon roll was - the tempura prawn was still very crisp and tasted like it had been freshly fried. It was also presented nicely in the shape of a, you guessed it, dragon! Granted this was only my first visit, I hope the standards are fairly consistent.

I did notice that the two chefs (itamae, if you could call them that!) were not of Japanese origin. It beggars belief why most sushi places in Edinburgh are not run by Japanese. Anyhow, I applaud Kanpai for serving food that actually resembles Japanese cuisine. It is perhaps the least watered down of the few so-called Japanese restaurants in Edinburgh.

3  Thank Milchpuder
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I'm a bit sushi fan and Kanpai serves some of the nicest I've tasted. Love the green tea re-fills!!
Try the Octopus balls.....delicious!!!!

1  Thank larafinn
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We love Japanese food and thought we'd visit Kanpai when we were in Edinburgh. It was a great choice. The service was very friendly and attentive. We were a group of 6 people so ordered a ton of stuff, but two dishes stood out - 'Grilled Aubergine in Miso Sauce', which had an incredible depth of smokiness and sweetness at the same time. Also, 'Kanpai's Special Combo' sashimi platter - fantastic presentation (photo attached). Delicious!

2  Thank Pranay M