“Fiona's Hen> Best accommodation ever!”

Stay Edinburgh City Apartments - Royal Mile
Luton, England, United Kingdom
“Fiona's Hen> Best accommodation ever!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

CALLING ALL HENS!!! If you are looking for 1st class accommodation, great value, helpful staff and close proximity to Edinburgh city than this apartment is for you! I had my hen party in Edinburgh and we stayed in the four bedroom apartment on The Royal Mile. It was spacious enough to hold 20 Irish hens!!! Beds were comfortable, kitchen was well stocked, and the whole apartment was spotless. There are two flights of steps you have to walk up to get to the apartment but its not a major climb. Chris and Eva were very helpful from extra towels to even bringing in our pre-ordered shopping as we got delayed with our flights.I cannot fault the apartment nor the staff-THIS IS A MUST!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have left quite damming detail on both the 'Venere.com' booking site and directly with the Hotel manager.
In short, I wish I had booked the two rooms for my family of 5, in a hotel, as I ended up doing for my final night of 3 in the City. I cannot complain about city noise or the distance walked to the apartment , as this was somewhat expected. However, when booking what was recommended as a family friendly, luxury 3 bed apartment, I was NOT expecting a cramped, badly decorated, unclean/very dusty apartment at the top of the Royal Mile (Upper Bow Street).
Various items did not work, of which the manager insisted they did, but then decreed that they have been particularly busy, so "haven't had time to re-decorate or maintain the property". Items like the so called heated towel rail hanging off the wall and broken to the broken oven, wonky TV on the wall bracket and massive blobs of 'polyfiller' all around the place. Also a thick layer of dust on virtually every horizontal surface (of which the manager insisted that he did not see himself).
The manager even offered myself and the lady wife another stay with a massive discount in one of their top apartments (strange that, considering it was supposedly already a luxury apartment).
Maybe, just maybe ok for a Stag/Hen weekend but not for a family retreat.
Plus point was the advice given by Harvey on the first day, as we walked up the mile to the apartment, but beyond that its a no from me. Booked the final night at an apparent 3 star hotel due to last minute extension of break, however this apparent inferior hotel was 10 times better.
I appreciate that this may not be everyone's review, but a very well travelled person from all over the UK and indeed the world, so hopefully the feedback will be rectified by the apartment management and taken on board by the next potential bookers....

Room Tip: Go somewhere else for a little bit more cost and watch out for the delivery man outside the apartmen...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Darren D
Harvey C, Manager at Stay Edinburgh City Apartments - Royal Mile, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear David,

Thank you for taking the time to review your impressions of your recent stay. I was sorry to read your comments especially since you have taken out of complete context our phone call conversion and made comments which simply I do not agree with.

I did fully investigated (as did our Maintenance Manager) all the comments highlighted and found no such issues.

The apartment was not dusty - I took you up to your apartment which was 3 minutes walk from our office at 12 noon (check in normally at 3pm) - I took you around the apartment - it had just been fully cleaned and had also been inspected beforehand by our Head Housekeeper.

Our website and all third party websites has a photo gallery in order that you may view the apartments prior or after your booking. We only have one 3 bedroom Apartment. The apartment is identical to the photos below. Please see link below:

Oven is working fine - you just needed to turn it on!

We provide a 24 hour concierge number which guests can call if they have any issues - any time - you did not do this to highlight these issues

We employ a full time Maintenance Manager to deal with all ongoing maintenance issues.

All apartments are decorated fully at the end of every year which is normal practice!

I did not say "haven't had time to re-decorate or maintain the property" since we employ someone full time to do this.

I did offer you another stay with us in another apartment (the word "top" was reference to our penthouse one bedroom apartment which is on the top floor not the reference you have put to it) I did speak to you in order to go through the issues highlighted and to try understand your disappointment, clearly you were more interested it writing your review.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise by a delivery man - the central location of our apartments on the Royal Mile does mean that when the city is very busy some level of street can be audible - however we have never had feedback about the noise problems from this apartment as it not surrounded by any restaurant/bars etc and two of the three bedrooms are at the back with no road.

I think that reviews are useful for the traveler but I think that readers will read this one and realize that your comments also seem contrary to other recent reviews and put it in this context.

We work really hard as a team to offer the best possible service and it is shame that issues are not raised during your visit.
Thanks again for the past visit and we are sorry you did not enjoy your visit.

Harvey
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were traveling from the USA to Europe for two weeks in August 2013. We stayed for 4 nights in Edinburgh at the Stay Edinburgh City Apartments. We couldn't have asked for a better location! Harvey and the gang were very friendly and helpful (with our luggage, advice on restaurants, how to get to St. Andrews, etc.). I was traveling with family (my husband, elementary age kids, my in-laws and my mom). My in-laws had one of the first floor apartments and had a wonderful view of the street and all of the activity of the Fringe Festival. The rest of the group had the two 5th floor apartments which had a spectacular views of the Edinburgh skyline. The stairs consisted of 92 stone steps but were no problem for us (I wouldn't recommend the upper floors for older people, though)

The apartments were clean, spacious and were a welcome retreat after 3 days in a cramped London hotel. We were able to buy a few groceries and store them in the apartment fridge. We made good use of the washing machine/dryer in each apartment for some mid-trip laundry (they even included laundry soap and other cleaning supplies in the unit). Also, the bathroom was very large and clean. Please note that they only replace linens/towels if you stay longer than a week. There was plenty of space to hang your towel to dry each day and a washing machine so this wasn't a problem for us.

I would recommend these apartments to anyone traveling to Edinburgh. They are a short walk from the train station and in the heart of the action!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Royal Mile are a little bit noisy but I loved being in the heart of the action! Ch...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The communication was second to non,
Receiving emails pointing out the best places to stay since I'd be arriving by car!
Which had a real personal touch,..

The staff were very helpfull from the get go, pointing out the best places to visit while actually walking us to the apartments,..

Which were placed in the best place on the royal mile!

The heaters were left on for us which was a real nice touch, no one wants to walk into a cold room!
After a quick check around we found that there was absolutely everything you could need there from tea and coffee,.
To an iron and hair dryer even shampoo and shower gels were prescient

I'd 100% look to stay here again on my return to such a wonderful city!

David & Michelle

• Stayed October 2013
Gloucester, England
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Easy to fine the shop to check in and the staff are extremely friendly. We were shown to out apartment and it only 2 mins to get there directly off the royal mile. The entrance is a bit shabby and worn but the apartment is nice. Ours was situated directly next to a main road so it was a bit noisy. Overall, great location and I would stay here again!

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank brian2000
Cashel, Ireland
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Noel here, we stayed in one of your apartments for five nights in October 2013. The apartment was very central on the Royal Mile as promised. The kitchen had everything we needed . The bed was very comfortable and the apartment was nice and warm. We had a problem with the kitchen sink and it was dealt with very quickly.In short we had a very enjoyable experience.
Many thanks Noel and Jo. Tipperary

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gubby64
Heidelberg
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our two bedroom apartment was located right on the Royal Mile. The apartment was modern and clean. The back bedroom was quiet and the kids had no problem sleeping. The front bedroom overlooked the Royal Mile but we did hear the occasional loud pub goers heading home and the trash being picked up but it was not that bad. There were some steps to climb to get to the apartment and although we had no problem I think people with mobility issues should ask for an apt that has a lift/elevator.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family