We have just returned from an amazing 2 nights at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Edinburgh. I honestly do not know where to even start with this review but here goes...
We arrived by taxi from Waverley station (around £5.50), although it is easily within walking distance, and were impressed by the look of the building. Modern clean lines, nice outside space for the smokers amongst us, with amenities close by - Starbucks, sainsburys local and a lovely little book shop beneath the hotel. The lobby is practical and stylish - with a really relaxed atmosphere - high tables with plug sockets for laptops chargers etc, sofa seating area, small shop kiosk (really reasonable prices!!!) as well as a bar and tables for breakfast. We were checked in by Paul at the front desk - who couldn't do enough for us and was a font of knowledge about the local area and made us feel very welcome from the off - the free afternoon cookies helped too :)
The rooms - well they were huge! On entering there is a small kitchen area and set of wardrobes, sofa area, two of the comfiest double beds I've ever slept in, and a nice bathroom with a really powerful shower. The decoration was modern but not cold - it was a comfortable and welcoming space. The rooms had the usual tv, tea making facilities, desk, chair, toiletries, but then also had iPod doc, plates, cutlery, microwave and even a dishwasher! I can understand why this would be a popular choice for long stays but definitely ticked all the boxes for our short stay too.
The location was great for exploring Edinburgh's sights - walking distance to the royal miles princes street the castle - or if you are like us and a bit on the lazy side a £5 taxi ride to any of the above :) as well as being close to everything you would expect to want to see in Edinburgh you are so close to the Meadows - a lovely park.
The services at the hotel were great - breakfast was a casual affair, a mixture of continental and traditional Scottish breakfast - eggs bacon scrabbled eggs, which could be taken in the lobby area, on the sofas, trays were even provided to take back to your room, or takeaway bags if you needed to eat on the go. The selection of food, coffees, teas, juices, was great and anything you needed was quickly attended to - special thanks to Isis and Gabor who were amazing throughout the stay.
On the topic of food - room service. Well we arrived back at the hotel at around 11.45pm on the Saturday evening, and considered room service. Calling down to the front desk expecting only to get a sandwich we were offered soup paninis and pizzas. We opted for a panini and soup each at the amazing price of £4.95 each! No tray charge either. The food was prompt, delicious and plentiful. Safe to say we were impressed!
Working for an airline I have stayed in many hotels around the world and can honestly say this is amongst the best I have had the pleasure of staying in. The hotel itself is lovely but what makes this place such a good find is the staff and the relaxed - but extremely professional - atmosphere. The staff really do go out of their way to make you feel value and welcome in their city - from arranging restaurant reservation arranging taxis, to even doing your food shopping for you (not even kidding!!) I would say the residence inn definitely fits every type of guest - business traveller, long stay, as well as being a gem of a find for a tourist trip to the city - couples, friends as well as families.
Only problem I have now is finding time to return...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We're delighted to bring you the UK's first Residence Inn by Marriott offering you short and long stay Edinburgh accommodation. Set a pace that suits you at Residence Inn by Marriott. Whether you're with us for a few days, a few weeks, or a few months, your daily routine matters. Located in the heart of Edinburgh in the new Quartermile development you have it all at your fingertips with Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, Holyrood Palace, Princes Street, the Meadows, the National Museum of Scotland and the Scottish Parliament all with in a few minutes walk. You'll thrive at Residence Inn with all the conveniences you need. Like spacious studio, superior studio and one bedroom suites with separate living, working, kitchen and sleeping areas. Complimentary grocery delivery service to fill your refrigerator and satisfy cravings. Complimentary internet for connecting to work and the outside world. Free hot breakfast to start mornings off right and evening social hours to end the day well. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Residence Inn Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Edinburgh Hotel Edinburgh
- Residence Inn Edinburgh Scotland