“Staff was awesome”

Residence Inn by Marriott Edinburgh
Ranked #37 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just spent 5 days here at this gem of a hotel. We booked two rooms to accommodate our family. We traveled with my 80 year old mother. The staff was so nice and made us feel right at home. They took care of us, especially my two daughters. All the recommendations were awesome. The staff that particularly stood out were Ross, Bastian, Claire and Keith. The staff is tremendous here. It was a great location to get around town. Not in heart of town but close enough to walk where you need to go. The only down fall was it was really HOT in our rooms. They have no AC and there isn't much circulation with tiny window in our room. Request a lower floor and one with bigger window. Would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are hotter. No AC.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed June 7, 2013

If I could give this hotel 4.5 stars, I would. I had just a few minor concerns that make me hesitant about a 5 star rating. So, that being said...

Location
The hotel is in a newer part of Edinburgh with some condos, office buildings and even a Starbucks, and a 5 or so minute walk to the Royal Mile. I prefer to stay across from the office building as it was quiet over there. There is some construction going on in the far side of the hotel and this side was more quiet. I did the walk at various times of the day from the Old City and never felt unsafe when I was out. I believe there is a college nearby, so definitely a bit of a younger vibe in the area. I took a cab from Waverly Station as it would have been a haul with a heavy suitcase. If you need to get to Glasgow there are express trains from Waverly and Haymarket and takes under an hour.

Room
I thought the room was lovely, was a studio suite that had a nice kitchen including microwave, fridge and sink. I didn't look in the drawers, but I'm sure they provide some level of cutlery and plates. The room featured a nice work desk that I took advantage of, and the wifi worked well throughout my stay. The closet had a luggage rack, which is helpful and as the previous reviewer noted, a fan. I lucked out with the weather the week I was there, however it made the property very warm. The hotel does not have air conditioning (I ran into this a few times while in Europe, as the weather doesn't typically get uncomfortable there). There is luckily a very large glass sliding door that you can open to allow air to circulate, however there was some loud concert/event one of the nights I was there and would have been very noisy with it open. It did a great job of blocking out the noise. The fan helped, but it's too small and doesn't tilt, so the best you can do is put it on top of something or try and aim it at your feet. I would recommend the hotel purchasing larger taller fans for guests in the summer.

The bathroom included a vanity outside the toilet/shower, which is nice if you are traveling with others. The top they provide near the sink is a bit on the smaller side, but sufficed. The shower itself worked fine, but no real good spot to hang a towel. The toilet area was a little bit claustrophobic. There is a huge frosted glass window in front of it, and very close to it, I drew the curtain as I had no idea if people could see through it or not.

So, the reason for my 4 stars is the bed. It's appalling. I stay in 30+ hotel rooms a year and never had a bed this uncomfortable in years. If felt like the springs were digging into your back. I wouldn't even call this overly firm, it was just very uncomfortable. The hotel needs to either change out the mattresses or buy some type of thick insulation between the mattress and the sheets. I was really disappointed after a long day of walking to get into that type of a bed. The last thing I think they'd want is people not staying at a property this beautiful because of bad mattresses.

I found the housekeeping to be clean, the clock easy to use, the iron clean, more than enough hangers in the closet and closed caption on the TV (this is also hard to find in some spots in Europe).

Amenities
For travelers familiar with the brand, the hotel does have a free breakfast, but not free dinners as they do in the states. The meals were priced very reasonable and they had a selection of vegetarian options. I did not partake in the meals or use the exercise room, so I cannot comment. There are two computers in the lobby, and spent a good bit of time one night uploading pictures so my family could see my trip.

Overall
I found the staff incredibly helpful, especially the afternoon/evening staff. They were very accommodating, patient and helpful. I did find the morning staff didn't seem as with it, at least the individual I spoke to. All in all, this is a great location for touring Edinburgh. It's a clean, modern building in a safe part of town. The rooms will provide you enough space to relax, and if they could only get the mattress issue resolved it would be a 5.

Room Tip: It depends what you are interested in, quiet rooms facing the office building across (just use your...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is a pretty new hotel in a pretty new part of town. It is very walkable to the castle and historic sites, even though the new "quartermile" section of Edinburgh isn't part of all that. Take a cab from Waverly train station as it's a bit too far to walk with luggage. It didn't seem like this was meant to be a hotel... but it worked. I read some other's reviews about the single elevator, but that wasn't really an issue. The staff was incredibly nice and the breakfast included was yummy. The rooms were exceptionally large, although I'm not sure why I'd want a kitchen with all the restaurant options available right outside the door. While the room had a wall of windows, only one small part of it opened and there was no A/C. So we were pretty hot. Thankfully there was an oscillating fan. Don't get a room facing the next door building that looks like a library of some sort as their all-glass stairwell is kept lit all night shining direct into your room, forcing you to close the shades and thereby blocking the miniscule vent of cool air available. Beds were surprisingly hard and uncomfortable for the level of a residence inn.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Smallwerld
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. It is modern and the location is really great. However, there are a few concerns:
- everyone seems to forget to scan their keycard to use the elevator
- the service elevator is completely indistinguishable from the standard elevator
- the scrambled eggs at breakfast are completely flavorless
- minor design flaws, such as the shower door hinges are placed in such a way as to make it difficult to grab your towel
- window view is directly (and closely) to a neighboring office building

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

It seems as though this building was originally intended for another purpose (an apartment house? an office building?) and turned into a Residence Inn late in the design process. So there is only a single elevator for over 100 rooms, and the elevator is operated by a key card system that no guest can understand. There is a free continental breakfast, but hardly any place to eat it. The rooms have plate glass windows that look straight across to similar windows across the street. On the other hand the rooms are large, comfortable, quiet and modern, with up-to-date fixtures and a half kitchen. And location can't be beat - between Edinburgh University and Old Town, a short walk from tourist attractions, museums and dining, Good as the location is, the hotel is extremely hard to find, because the street seems to be brand new and is invisible to the GPS. Even when we called the front desk on the phone, they couldn't explain to us how to get there.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Member24
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed here twice within 10 days. Each experience was totally different. I have given a rating of 3, the average of our first visit of 5, and our second of 2. If I could have given 3.5, I would.

Our first stay was for 3 nights prior to going to the west of Scotland. We were greeted warmly and efficiently at reception. We had booked a 2 room suite, and were given one of the largest, which had a bath and not just a shower. It was a lovely suite.

My only adverse comment was that the breakfast area was too small, and gets crowded. We were careful what time we went to breakfast and had no issues ourselves, although we saw that other guests did have a problem. Setting low coffee tables with cutlery at sofas in the lounge area because the breakfast area is too small really is not satisfactory, and Marriott need to look at this.

However, we had a fabulous stay. The staff was superb. Nothing was too much trouble, and we left for the next part of our trip with very positive vibes about the place.

Our second visit unfortunately did not live up to the first.

We returned for one night prior to getting a train back home early next morning. On check in, we booked a taxi to take us to the railway station at 7am the next morning.

We had been fine on the 3rd floor the week before, but this week’s room was on the highest floor, 7th, and was unbearably hot. The full wall of windows was facing right into the sun resulting in the closed off room having become unbearably hot and stuffy. As others have said, there is no air conditioning, and opening the windows did not help. Marriott really do need to address this point.

But the real problem was the following morning. We checked out at 6:45am, and were assured the taxi was ordered for 7am. So we sat and waited. At just before 7am I looked at my watch, and then at the guy behind reception who said “there are 2 minutes to go yet.” At 7:05, with still no sign of the taxi, I asked the guy at reception what was happening. He telephoned the taxi company then said “there has been a bit of a glitch and it was booked for 7:30, but they are coming now and will be here in 5 minutes”.

We don’t know who made the error, the hotel or the taxi firm, but to be left sitting immediately in front of reception with no-one doing anything when we had already pointed out the taxi was cutting it fine was totally unacceptable. Cars cannot stop in front of the hotel, they have to park at the end of a walkway, and the taxi driver has to walk to the hotel. As it was already late, we expressed our dissatisfaction and said we would go to the end of the walkway so no more time was lost. The receptionist watched as we struggled with our luggage in the revolving doors! Only after we were nearly outside did he call to ask if we needed a hand. We told him not to bother.

At no time did anyone ask us what time our train was. If we hadn’t queried why the taxi was late we could have been left sitting there and missed our train. Edinburgh station is a mass of building works, and navigating around it is not easy. So a late taxi is far from ideal. Fortunately we got there in time, but no thanks to Marriott!

Room Tip: Ask for a low floor room. The top floor rooms can get unbearably hot. If you book a 2 room suite...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TommoNorfolk
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We had been to this Hotel with Family including Children. Rooms & Toilets are very spacious with all self cooking needs. All rooms are full size windows in one side of the room for enjoying the view. Lift is little small & the restaurant also is little jam packed. Staffs were very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family