1,275 results
All reviews quartermile area washers and dryers royal mile simpson loan a small kitchen area the breakfast area one bedroom suite sliding door corner room complimentary breakfast national museum of scotland modern hotel minute walk building work air conditioning rooms are large quiet area
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The hotel here is pretty fairly new and built in the new Quartermile area right by the University of Edinburgh. It's very conveniently located about a 10 minute walk to the Royal Mile but it's a great walk since you walk by a lot of other sites, shops and restaurants. It's also a 5 minute walk from the National Museum.

The room is very spacious and large with modern decor and floor to ceiling glass windows. It was pretty much the best hotel we stayed at on our entire 2-week vacation.

The staff was very friendly, nice and welcoming. The hotel includes breakfast which was a full breakfast with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, cereals, yogurt, toasts, etc.

Nearby the hotel is a market which you can go to get groceries or water or drinks. There is also a great Malaysian restaurant right next to the hotel which serves amazing Malaysian food (even better than Malaysian food that we've had in Malaysia!).

We were also traveling around the countryside and returning to this hotel, and they let us store our luggage for no extra charges.

There is a lot of heat in the hallways of the upper floors. We stayed on the 6th floor and experienced the heat in the hallway which we couldn't understand why it was so hot. But the room inside was fine and we were able to open the windows which helped bring in the cold air. The second time we stayed on the 2nd floor and the heat wasn't too bad in the hallway.

There is only one elevator which takes forever to wait for since it can be pretty slow. And sometimes when you get in the elevator it takes you up before you can go down. That was the only annoying part of hotel.

Everything else was perfect! Would definitely recommend anyone to stay here!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our partner booked in us so we didn't even have a clue. We were in one-bedroom apartment which was relatively spacious except the bathroom (toilet and shower cubicle). The sink was between bedroom and bathroom which looked odd and had no space for toiletry.
It was close to the city centre and there was a market (forgot the name) and nice Malaysian restaurant near by. It is surrounded by apartments/office buildings so the curtain must be drawn all the time unless you don't mind.
It took forty minute taxi ride from the Edinburgh airport. The weather of the UK this summer (June 2012) was wet and cold so it wasn't surprising that corridor heating was pumping unbearably warm air. But the room temperature was comfortable. The lift was only one so it seems ages.
The frontdesk staff were very hlepful but somewhat short staffed as I saw them were busy taking care of incoming guests thus they couldn't answer the phone.
Wifi was free for unlimited devices. Loads of TV channels however, no bottled water was provided.
Overall very nice.

Date of stay: June 2012
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband & i have just spent the weekend at the Marriott Residence in Edinburgh. It rained all weekend, but the warmth of the hotel made up for the weather.

The hotel was new, modern, very clean and great value. The hotel would be suitable for families, couples, groups, singles & business people.
The staff were exceptional, very friendly and not too busy to share a few words with us.
The breakfast was very good, everything we could have wanted was available, The hotel was near to the centre about a 10 minute walk, but if you want to stay near the hotel there are plenty of bars and restaurents to choose from.

We certainly will go back to this hotel again, hopefully the weather will be better.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2012

As good as a major city apart/hotel gets. Rooms spacious, facilities excellent, parking nearby, decent breakfast, pleasant and efficient staff.
I can't think of anything negative to report.
The location is also good - a short walk from the centre and main attractions. In fact better placed than most of the more central hotels.
If you are a wheelchair user it is even better news... free parking outside, lifts and excellent disabled facilities.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights on a business trip. The first night I pulled back the sheets to get into bed and discovered excrement on the sheets. The sheets clearly had not been changed from the previous guest. I removed the sheets and put them on the floor with a note for the maid asking that the sheets be changed. In the morning I registered a complaint with the manager on duty. She apologized and asked if I would like to change rooms. I told her that I needed a change of bed sheets not a change of rooms. She promised that I would be compensated for this incident. To the hotel's credit they did not charge me for my first night's stay. The second problem that emerged with this hotel is the fact that it does not have air conditioning. I became aware of this problem when my colleague who had a room on the 7th floor complained of the stifling heat in his room. My room was on the 3rd floor and to be honest the temperature on my room was ok. I went to my colleague's room to check out how bad it was. The walk along the 7th floor corridor was like a sauna and his room still very warm despite him having a few windows open. I am assuming that the higher floors were warmer on the principle that hot air rises. It was not even all that warm outside with daytime highs in the low 60s. The hotel is new and is one of those structures whose outside wall is all glass. That might be part of the problem. In any case a modern hotel by a major US chain without air conditioning is unbelievable.

On the upside the hotel included complimentary WiFi and and a complimentary breakfast consisting of hot (bacon, sausage, eggs, baked beans) and cold (fruit, pastries etc.). The breakfast area was a little small however for the number of people eating breakfast. The front desk staff were friendly and attentive. The hotel has a very good location about a 10-15 minute walk from the Royal Mile in the heart of Edinburgh. Lots of eating and drinking options nearby.

Room tip: Get a room on the lowest floor possible. Once you get above the 4th floor I suspect the room temperatures can get unbearable in summer.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business