“Great Hotel in a Great Location”

Residence Inn by Marriott Edinburgh
Ranked #37 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I have just wrapped up a three-night stay at the Residence Inn Edinburgh.

For starters, having read many reviews, I e-mailed the GM in advance to request a lower floor to combat the heat complaints. Amazing, he e-mailed back in minutes (on a Sunday) and openly acknowledged that the complaints were fair that he would do his best to accommodate our request (low floor – which he did). For better or worse, the weather was absurdly cool for July (low 50s) so it was never an issue. That said, we were upgraded to a 1BR which was an idyllic "home base" for our long weekend.

The room itself was – as others have reported – exceptionally modern. Hardwood floors, Bosch kitchen appliances, two flatscreen televisions and excellent shower water pressure pretty much fulfills every reasonable checklist. The hotel staff was excellent and it felt much more like a small, private apart-hotel than a Marriott property (not a complaint at all). I will agree that the breakfast area was very busy during what felt like just about the whole breakfast window but no big deal.

The location in Edinburgh was perfect. It was ten minutes walk to the Royal Mile and Grassmarket, three minute stumble to the nearest pubs, one minute to Starbucks and Sainsbury's. Clearly the Quartermile area is continuing to be developed but for now, it's a pleasant little urban oasis.

This is a great property in a great location in a great city. I'd return without thinking twice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed July 11, 2012

The hotel here is pretty fairly new and built in the new Quartermile area right by the University of Edinburgh. It's very conveniently located about a 10 minute walk to the Royal Mile but it's a great walk since you walk by a lot of other sites, shops and restaurants. It's also a 5 minute walk from the National Museum.

The room is very spacious and large with modern decor and floor to ceiling glass windows. It was pretty much the best hotel we stayed at on our entire 2-week vacation.

The staff was very friendly, nice and welcoming. The hotel includes breakfast which was a full breakfast with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, cereals, yogurt, toasts, etc.

Nearby the hotel is a market which you can go to get groceries or water or drinks. There is also a great Malaysian restaurant right next to the hotel which serves amazing Malaysian food (even better than Malaysian food that we've had in Malaysia!).

We were also traveling around the countryside and returning to this hotel, and they let us store our luggage for no extra charges.

There is a lot of heat in the hallways of the upper floors. We stayed on the 6th floor and experienced the heat in the hallway which we couldn't understand why it was so hot. But the room inside was fine and we were able to open the windows which helped bring in the cold air. The second time we stayed on the 2nd floor and the heat wasn't too bad in the hallway.

There is only one elevator which takes forever to wait for since it can be pretty slow. And sometimes when you get in the elevator it takes you up before you can go down. That was the only annoying part of hotel.

Everything else was perfect! Would definitely recommend anyone to stay here!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our partner booked in us so we didn't even have a clue. We were in one-bedroom apartment which was relatively spacious except the bathroom (toilet and shower cubicle). The sink was between bedroom and bathroom which looked odd and had no space for toiletry.
It was close to the city centre and there was a market (forgot the name) and nice Malaysian restaurant near by. It is surrounded by apartments/office buildings so the curtain must be drawn all the time unless you don't mind.
It took forty minute taxi ride from the Edinburgh airport. The weather of the UK this summer (June 2012) was wet and cold so it wasn't surprising that corridor heating was pumping unbearably warm air. But the room temperature was comfortable. The lift was only one so it seems ages.
The frontdesk staff were very hlepful but somewhat short staffed as I saw them were busy taking care of incoming guests thus they couldn't answer the phone.
Wifi was free for unlimited devices. Loads of TV channels however, no bottled water was provided.
Overall very nice.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband & i have just spent the weekend at the Marriott Residence in Edinburgh. It rained all weekend, but the warmth of the hotel made up for the weather.

The hotel was new, modern, very clean and great value. The hotel would be suitable for families, couples, groups, singles & business people.
The staff were exceptional, very friendly and not too busy to share a few words with us.
The breakfast was very good, everything we could have wanted was available, The hotel was near to the centre about a 10 minute walk, but if you want to stay near the hotel there are plenty of bars and restaurents to choose from.

We certainly will go back to this hotel again, hopefully the weather will be better.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

As good as a major city apart/hotel gets. Rooms spacious, facilities excellent, parking nearby, decent breakfast, pleasant and efficient staff.
I can't think of anything negative to report.
The location is also good - a short walk from the centre and main attractions. In fact better placed than most of the more central hotels.
If you are a wheelchair user it is even better news... free parking outside, lifts and excellent disabled facilities.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights on a business trip. The first night I pulled back the sheets to get into bed and discovered excrement on the sheets. The sheets clearly had not been changed from the previous guest. I removed the sheets and put them on the floor with a note for the maid asking that the sheets be changed. In the morning I registered a complaint with the manager on duty. She apologized and asked if I would like to change rooms. I told her that I needed a change of bed sheets not a change of rooms. She promised that I would be compensated for this incident. To the hotel's credit they did not charge me for my first night's stay. The second problem that emerged with this hotel is the fact that it does not have air conditioning. I became aware of this problem when my colleague who had a room on the 7th floor complained of the stifling heat in his room. My room was on the 3rd floor and to be honest the temperature on my room was ok. I went to my colleague's room to check out how bad it was. The walk along the 7th floor corridor was like a sauna and his room still very warm despite him having a few windows open. I am assuming that the higher floors were warmer on the principle that hot air rises. It was not even all that warm outside with daytime highs in the low 60s. The hotel is new and is one of those structures whose outside wall is all glass. That might be part of the problem. In any case a modern hotel by a major US chain without air conditioning is unbelievable.

On the upside the hotel included complimentary WiFi and and a complimentary breakfast consisting of hot (bacon, sausage, eggs, baked beans) and cold (fruit, pastries etc.). The breakfast area was a little small however for the number of people eating breakfast. The front desk staff were friendly and attentive. The hotel has a very good location about a 10-15 minute walk from the Royal Mile in the heart of Edinburgh. Lots of eating and drinking options nearby.

Room Tip: Get a room on the lowest floor possible. Once you get above the 4th floor I suspect the room tempera...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank GeogProfOH
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I paid for my room only £80 a night, therefore cannot complain much as value for money was great. However, if I were to pay £150 and this is they current price on booking.com I would not be as satisfied. One could fine much better hotel for this price.

The room was very clean, practically spotless (extremely nice housekeeping staff, nicer than receptionists). I really liked the colours and furnitures. The kitchen annex is very useful if one doesn't fancy eating out (especially for longer stays). The bed could be a little bit more comfy, I couldn't sleep very well because it was too soft. Also, although the room was fresh and clean it was really badly designed. The sing was in the room and bathroom had a slide door, therefore I was up everytime my boyfriend was in the toilet (this is probably another reason for not sleeping well). The sink, for some weird reason, was in the room, not separated with any door. Suitable only for couples with no privacy issues ;)

Breakfasts were only average, and the breakfast area was very small. Luckily I got a table at the back, otherwise I would have eaten in the reception area ;/

The brightest side of this hotel is its location. There are still some building works around the hotel, however when they finish them it is going to be a great area to stay. It is quiet and only 10 min walk to the grass market and few more to the castle. I didn't have any problems with finding the hotel using my sat nav and some common sense ;)

Overall, I would not pay £150 a night as the hotel is not worth that much (oh, parking charge is £12 on the top of this price). They could do with few improvements, especially in the design department, maybe then the hotel could compete with other 4 and 5 stars hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple