1,229 results
All reviewsquartermile areawashers and dryersroyal milea small kitchen areasimpson loanthe breakfast areaone bedroom suitesliding doorcorner roomcomplimentary breakfastnational museum of scotlandno air conditioningbuilding workminute walktoilet and showertwo double bedshotel is located
Reviewed July 7, 2012

As good as a major city apart/hotel gets. Rooms spacious, facilities excellent, parking nearby, decent breakfast, pleasant and efficient staff.
I can't think of anything negative to report.
The location is also good - a short walk from the centre and main attractions. In fact better placed than most of the more central hotels.
If you are a wheelchair user it is even better news... free parking outside, lifts and excellent disabled facilities.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights on a business trip. The first night I pulled back the sheets to get into bed and discovered excrement on the sheets. The sheets clearly had not been changed from the previous guest. I removed the sheets and put them on the floor with a note for the maid asking that the sheets be changed. In the morning I registered a complaint with the manager on duty. She apologized and asked if I would like to change rooms. I told her that I needed a change of bed sheets not a change of rooms. She promised that I would be compensated for this incident. To the hotel's credit they did not charge me for my first night's stay. The second problem that emerged with this hotel is the fact that it does not have air conditioning. I became aware of this problem when my colleague who had a room on the 7th floor complained of the stifling heat in his room. My room was on the 3rd floor and to be honest the temperature on my room was ok. I went to my colleague's room to check out how bad it was. The walk along the 7th floor corridor was like a sauna and his room still very warm despite him having a few windows open. I am assuming that the higher floors were warmer on the principle that hot air rises. It was not even all that warm outside with daytime highs in the low 60s. The hotel is new and is one of those structures whose outside wall is all glass. That might be part of the problem. In any case a modern hotel by a major US chain without air conditioning is unbelievable.

On the upside the hotel included complimentary WiFi and and a complimentary breakfast consisting of hot (bacon, sausage, eggs, baked beans) and cold (fruit, pastries etc.). The breakfast area was a little small however for the number of people eating breakfast. The front desk staff were friendly and attentive. The hotel has a very good location about a 10-15 minute walk from the Royal Mile in the heart of Edinburgh. Lots of eating and drinking options nearby.

Room Tip: Get a room on the lowest floor possible. Once you get above the 4th floor I suspect the room temperatures can get unbearable in summer.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank GeogProfOH
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I paid for my room only £80 a night, therefore cannot complain much as value for money was great. However, if I were to pay £150 and this is they current price on booking.com I would not be as satisfied. One could fine much better hotel for this price.

The room was very clean, practically spotless (extremely nice housekeeping staff, nicer than receptionists). I really liked the colours and furnitures. The kitchen annex is very useful if one doesn't fancy eating out (especially for longer stays). The bed could be a little bit more comfy, I couldn't sleep very well because it was too soft. Also, although the room was fresh and clean it was really badly designed. The sing was in the room and bathroom had a slide door, therefore I was up everytime my boyfriend was in the toilet (this is probably another reason for not sleeping well). The sink, for some weird reason, was in the room, not separated with any door. Suitable only for couples with no privacy issues ;)

Breakfasts were only average, and the breakfast area was very small. Luckily I got a table at the back, otherwise I would have eaten in the reception area ;/

The brightest side of this hotel is its location. There are still some building works around the hotel, however when they finish them it is going to be a great area to stay. It is quiet and only 10 min walk to the grass market and few more to the castle. I didn't have any problems with finding the hotel using my sat nav and some common sense ;)

Overall, I would not pay £150 a night as the hotel is not worth that much (oh, parking charge is £12 on the top of this price). They could do with few improvements, especially in the design department, maybe then the hotel could compete with other 4 and 5 stars hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I am baffled by some of the reviews adn wonder if they were at a different hotel. We stayed for 5 nights in July and loved this place

The rooms are very spacious particularly by European standards. After reading the previous reviews we did request a lover floor and ended up on the floor above the ground floor (first floor in UK) - We had a corner room with the two windows as other had mentioned. I like my room*cold* to sleep and was concerned about all the temp complaints but it was definitely a non-issue. We did sleep with both Windows open and it was fine, in fact, my wife ordered an extra blanket. Yes, there was some occasional noise from the street but it was infequent and tolerable - We did poke around on some higher floors and it seemed a tad warmer in the hallway but that was it...

The breakfast situation is also excelent. The peak time is a 9 but we ate most days around 8 and the place was empty eventhough the hotel was full. Breakfast is decent with choices of cereals, egg, meat, cheeses, fruit, etc. There is a market 1 inute fromt he front door that has tons of options if the buffet does not suit you. The market has fruits and veggies, wine, beer, premade meals to microwave or bake etc. There is also a little store in the hotel for snacks, beer, soda water, etc. The breakfast area turns into a bar at night and has a nice feel if you want a nightcap. We watched the final game of the Euro Cup with some of our fellow travellers

The staff is extremely helpful, took care of cabs answered questions, etc. Unike US Residence Inns there is ample staff to help.

This hotel has a great location. 10 minutes on foot to the royal mile, same to Grassmarket. There are lots of good choices to eat nearby, Italian, Indian, Pub, Coffee shops all within 5 minutes walk.

We arrived by cab from the airport (about 20 pounds) so cannot speak to the parking

We did take a cab to Rosslyn (great place) and that was about 20 pounds as well.

Bottom line: would stay here again ina heartbeat - rooms, staff, and location are a great value

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rocket_Man0691
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a week in the beginning of June. Overall it is a perfect location for getting everywhere on foot. Bus 35 runs a block away, but I only used it when I went to Leith. The one bedroom suite I stayed in was lovely. The windows open kept a nice breeze even without air conditioning. Yes the hallways were warm, but it felt great after coming in from chilly temps outside. (however I am from south Texas- so it was not a big deal for me). The staff was friendly and Craig was a smiling cute face to see every evening. All in all, I will stay here again the next time I'm in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2012