“Good quality but read the small print”
Review of Ruan Siam - CLOSED

Ruan Siam
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Six of us (plus guide dog) were visiting the restaurant so we decided to go for a standard meal for 2 - times three, so as to avoid spending the rest of the evening trying to choose from the menu.

This was a good decision and there were no complaints at all about quality or amount of the food provided. All very good and efficiently served.

A slight jarring note was that it is not clear that prices on the menu are before VAT, so the price you are expecting suddenly goes up 20% when you see the bill. It is still good value, but this is an unnecessary surprise. I can't remember the last time I was at a restaurant in the UK where I experienced this.

There are newer reviews for Ruan Siam

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stumbled across the Ruan Siam on the way to another restaurant. Decided to try it out. The staff were friendly and efficient. The good was very good. Four large king prawns were delicious. Authentic cuisine. It is pricey but quality is good. Atmosphere is authentic Thai.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I decided to get a takeaway on a Sunday night, and rather than go for the usual consistently good pizza/Indian/Chinese that we usually go for we thought we'd have a 'treat' and order online from Ruan Siam. Mistake.

I ordered a starter of chicken marinated with honey, Thai whisky and Thai herbs, wrapped in pandan leaves, deep-fried and served with sesame soy sauce. It arrived as 4 pieces of tasteless chicken wrapped in leaves. £6. Six nuggets at McD's would be tastier for a quarter of the price.

My wife's starter is described on the menu as 'The most famous Thai salad'. I didn't taste it, but from the way it looked and from her feedback I wouldn't want to taste an unfamous generic salad. It was limp and tasteless and way over-priced at £8.

The main courses were an improvement but by then the damage was done.

It would be a shame to write-off a restaurant based on one takeaway experience but with the raft of options in this part of Edinburgh it will be a long time before we are desperate enough to try Ruan Siam again.

£40 down the drain.

1  Thank SalDanTravels
Reviewed July 13, 2012

What brilliant, authentic thai food this place serves! They managed to squeeze all 12 of us in on a busy friday night yet the service was like we were the only people in the restaurant.
We had a banquet meal which, in the end, beat us but we all left full and happy. A quick word with the manager even upgraded our banquet to include soup for the same price.
Next time i visit Edinburgh i will return to Ruan Thai.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Can only assume that several recent reviewers have got this excellent restaurant mixed up with another. Have been here several times and have been impressed every time. The food is beautiful, the service amazing and the place is perfect, especially for an intimate meal for two. My only slight criticism is that the meals are never exactly the same from one visit to the next - which is probably just proof that everything is freshly cooked to order. My own favourite is Red Curry which can be just right for me on one visit, and just a little too hot the next time. It's still great though!! To contradict a recent very mean criticism, portions are more than adequate and price is reasonable. Just try it!