“a great place to stay in Edinburgh”
Review of No 32 Hotel

No 32 Hotel
Ranked #189 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Beautiful building, perfect location, stunning interior, but the best thing about this hotel is the staff and owner, they are the friendliest and most professional people you will meet in Edinburgh. If you don't stay here you are missing out on a real gem!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mcginleyIreland
There are newer reviews for No 32 Hotel

Reviewed May 22, 2013

After many telephone calls, I eventually received an email confirming the booking. I was promised two good bedrooms but instead we were put in the basement. The pillows cases had not been changed from the last occupant, the bedding felt damp and the pillows smelt awful in fact the room i was in smelt of stale sweat . Service at breakfast on the first morning was poor but better on the second, the owners son couldn't do enough and he apologised to us . Needless to say we will not be staying at this hotel again. The owner (Ash) needs to remember the customer is always right and he should be able to take criticism.

Room Tip: Do not have the bedrooms in the basement.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Veryan O
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Many aspects of this hotel are worth shouting about but equally it needs a lot more work both asthetically and otherwise

Let's begin with the positives.The welcome and the help we got in advising us where to go and what to see was very good indeed. I didn't get the guy's name but he really was fantastic and clearly loved Edinburgh. The location in relation to the city is good, about a 15 minute walk to Princes Street and easy to find. Our room was on initial viewing lovely. It was huge and airy with a massive bed which for me was the best thing about the hotel.

Moving on to the negatives. Traffic noise was atrocious. The road is cobbled and I guess the traffic is worse due to the tramworks closing most of Haymarket which makes Coates Gardens a rat-run for locals. As we were at the front of the hotel it was so bad. Also the parking isn't fantastic although a tip - parking is free anywhere other than on double yellows from Sat at 6.30pm through to Monday 8.30am, even permit only and single yellows!

The food was mediocre but then I guess you get what you pay for. The selection was limited, I asked for a poached egg and was told they don't do them but what they did do was edible and there are plenty of fantastic little restaurants in Edinburgh to eat well at.

I reckon all in all, it was ok but I wouldn't really want to stay at the front of the hotel again. Also the soundproofing could be looked at but again, staying in boutique hotels you have to accept this as part of the building. Shame really ....

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Have just arrived back after 3 fantastic nights in Edinburgh made all the better for our stay in No 32 Hotel. This is a beautiful old town house on a great character street just a couple of minutes walk from the Haymarket train station. Coats Gardens is a wide cobblestoned road lined with large houses all with lovely periodoc features of which No 32 sits towards the top.
We were were met by very friendly staff who took our luggage for us and gave us some advice and directions of where to go as we had arrived early in the morning before our room was ready.
Once we did check in we were given a spacious top floor room which was very clean had plenty of storage facilities and a large wooden bedstead. The bathroom was bright and clean and the shower was always piping hot any time of day.
Breakfast each day was very nice and gave you a good start for the day and the staff were always on hand to chat about attractions, restaurants or general useful information. I'm sorry DrMaplewood (earlier review) customer service was not poor. I dealt with most of the staff and met the owner and they were all excellent.
As for those who complain about the noise of the cobbles - get a life! This is Edinburgh and most of the residential areas have original cobblestone streets. In addition most buildings are listed or have strict planning laws so double glazing is out of the question. Therefore if you want modern, silent rooms with no character then book a Travelodge and don't write reviews that show a lack of knowledge. If you want a charming, period feature townhouse with character in a great location then book No32.

My one "small" piece of advice to give to the hotel is to provide decent sized bath towels as the ones they provide are a little on the small size. Other than that a great little find and very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Be aware there is no lift so if you are on the top floor you need to be able to walk up a large stai...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Thelittleherberts
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst away with work. The facilities were of a high standard and we were allowed to check in to our rooms a little earlier than the advertised 2pm. However the customer service was very poor and my commutation with the hotel since my stay has been entirely ignored (I have been trying to get an invoice to show my employer). Not the treatment you need as a paying customer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My grandson and I chose No 32 as a base for our adventure in Edinburgh. This is a lovely, bijou, family hotel in a fine terrace in Edinburgh's West End, close to Prince's Street and everything else. Our room was spacious, very clean and very elegant. Most important, I had a health scare involving my eyesight which sadly shortened our stay. I could not have asked for more kindness in their dealings with me and my grandson, especially from the charming young receptionist with the economics degree. We were taken to the airport for our emergency flight at a very hour, and with real cheerfulness. This hotel and its staff are fine ambassadors for the Athens of the North, and my grandson and I are going back to finish our adventure as soon as we can.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Graham M
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked No32 as a reasonably priced, nice looking, good location-ed hotel and we were not disappointed.
We arrived at 10am and the hotel staff were so polite and friendly. Telling us our room wasn't ready but we could leave our bags & head off to explore and that they would pop our belongings into our room as soon as it was ready.
The provided us with a map, recommended bars & restaurants and were genrrally very useful in giving us tip and tricks for the area.
Our bedroom was at the front of the hotel but was not overly noisey with thr cobbled streets, it had recenlty been painted so was pristine and very clean. The only bug bear would be that the shelf in the bathroom is made of glass and isn't quite flat so things do slide of quite easily, there is also no hoook on the back of the bathroom door so there isn't any where to hang anything when you're in there.
Otherwise it was lovely, just what we wanted.

Room Tip: Our room was fine if a little small. I suppose you could have a room at the back if you are a ligh...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple