“"Fawlty Towers" Very Dissappointed”
Review of Capital Residence

and 1 more site!
Capital Residence
Ranked #296 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Well where do i start. This is long but PLEASE READ if your thinking of staying here!!

Booked this months ago as me and my boyfriend were doing The Edinburgh Marathon. David knew this as i talked to him for a while when i booked and he said it was prime location for the marathon as the start was close by. So we booked a family room to sleep me and my boyfriend and my mum and dad.

I emailed this week to confirm our booking. I got a response saying everything was fine. Arrived Saturday 26th at 11.30am to an empty reception area. 30mins before David arrived who said "im just going to The Maple Leaf" which is the next B&B up. Quintin came in introduced himself as one of Davids managers. He said we could not stay in the family suit as there was a crack in the ceiling and it was unsafe (we think they double booked) He took us 5 mins round the corner to an apartment he said we could stay in. Dont get me wrong to say this was in a homeless block the apartment was ok. He said we could have 2 apartments to fit us all in. No bedding or towels were ready but Quintin assured us when we got back from sight seeing keys for both apartments would be ready for us to at Capital Residence.

Arrived back to Capital Residence at 5.45pm where we met Heather (Davids mum) Think she was half asleep when we arrived. She didnt know where the keys were and yet again we waited and waited while she found them. She said the keys opened both apartments and everything would be ready she said if its not ring me or come back and ill help you.

Guess what got to the apartment and it only opened the 1 bedroom apartment. No bedding, No towels, TV not working, No glasses basically an empty apartment and only 1 bedroom for 4 of us. Went back round to Capital Residence to find Heather had gone. She had locked the dining room and kitchen up. Tried ringing David to explain we were left with nothing and what should we do. Only he didnt answer and never rang me back and still hasnt rang me back to this day. Went to The Maple Leaf they said Quintin had gone home for the night. Again asked what we should do. At 8.30pm someone rang me from Maple Leaf saying they had the key for the other apartment. And that someone had dropped it off. Which clearly was a lie as we were stood outside all that time and no one came to that place.

At this point i was very upset and felt let down by everyone at Capital Residence we were doing the marathon the next morning and they clearly didnt care what happened to us.

We still went round for breakfast Sunday morning and Monday morning not one apology, Nothing at all was said. It was like it never happened. Then on Monday Emma had the cheek to ask which one was Becky i said me. She asked what time we were going back to check out. CHECK OUT we never checked in for gods sake.

All i can say is DONT stay yes it looks nice and breakfast was good but the people that run it clearly dont care.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Beckstar82
david27Edinburgh, Owner at Capital Residence, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Becky Thank you for your review. Firstly let me apologise for you being unable to stay here. As we speak the room is still out of action as we are awaiting a structural report. There are 5 water tanks in the attic above this room. We noticed cracking in the ceiling (we can post pics or email you them) and although it may just be cosmetic we were adamant that we were not willing to take the chance of having guests in this room. I hope you can see this is wise until we have had professionals in to have a look. Also I am sure you arrived at 11.00am when check in time is two hours later at 13.00 so apologies you had to wait 30 mins.

Secondly, the apartments which I relocated to you, are newly refurbished flats in one of Edinburgh's traditional tenements 2 mins around the corner and in a central area. The key which you had was a master key and opened both flats. For a family of 4 there was a 2 bed flat and a one bed flat-I thought this was better than just two bedrooms. The idea behind it was you could have a flat each rather than a bedroom each. The 2 bed flat had satin stripe linen on both beds (I made the beds up myself so I know there was linen on both) and the one bed flat had a super king size bed with linen on it. I apologise you didn't realise it was a master key you had for both flats.

I am sorry you have felt the need to post a negative review. From discovering the problem we worked tireleslly to make the situation better by offering you not one but two newly refurbished flats at the same price and in the same area. Apologies for the mix up with keys and the 30 min wait in reception. I hope the marathon went well and you achieved your goals.

All the best for the future

Regards

David

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Well, even though I never give a place 10/10, Capital Residence almost made it at 9/10 from us! It's a bit of a walk from the station if you have to pull a case, but not too bad, and there are plenty of buses, and although we arrived very early, our welcome was courteous with the offer to look after our bags for us and to put them in our room when it was ready.We were in the small double, downstairs, but everything was lovely and the bed very comfortable and I'm sure the view will improve once all the flowers are out - ha ha! All the staff were very friendly and our breakfast was very good, and they recommended what to see - if you are thinking of going to see Britannia, take the bus: we didn't and it's quite a trek and a bit hard to find as it seems to be behind a massive shopping centre! The one niggle (for a balanced review!) was the tiny hand basin - causing a few puddles on the floor. Apart from that - would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Really nice, comfy & clean rooms. Excellent breakfast & they even catered for vegetarians. Really good portions of food. On road parking.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2012

myself and my wife stayed at the capital residence for 4 days , we found it to be very clean,very modern, and the staff were really courteus, friendly and helpful,the interior design and decoration of the b&b is first class giving it a very relaxing and classy touch to the place , the breakfast was very nice, warm and filling ,with plenty of options like continental breakfast, lots of fruit, croissants etc etc every need was covered , and all at a very reasonable price might i add making it even better value for money would recommend to anyone michael and michelle from belfast ....

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The web pages and photos give a good impression, though so do other hotels that sometimes disappoint on arrival. However there was no disappointment at Capital Residence. I arrived after about 12 minutes pleasant walk from the Airport shuttle bus dropoff in the city centre. I entered to a very friendly warm welcome from David. I was shown to my single room and was advised it was a small room but it did not feel small at all. The design, layout and fittings are so well chosen that it was a delight to see how maximum was the available space. This quality is reflected throughout the hotel. I did not see the advertised fluffy gown but I am sure that would have been corrected if I had asked. I did not ask because I was warm and comfortable. The biscuits with the coffee and milk in the room were very nice. The subtle colour scheme and the furnishings combine to offer minimalist, yet tasteful comfort.

In the evening I was given valuable advice on where to go then and the next day to fulfil my wishes to best enjoy the city before I left. I have travelled quite well and in little short of 30 countries over 2 decades I have rarely been so impressed (the last time was last year in Barcelona). I was given an excellent recommendation for a restaurant just a few minutes walk away.

In the morning there was no salmon available but I did not mind as I was treated to a very hearty feast, beginning continental and ending with a full cooked breakfast. A truly excellent visit at a very reasonable price. Well done. I will return.

Did I say excellent? :-)

Room Tip: It may be hard to fail. I probably had the smallest room but it was excellent. If you have needs e...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Brian R
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed for three nights over Easter weekend, and had a wonderful time. We received a very warm welcome from David, who kindly carried our rather heavy suit case up to our room (#3) at the top floor! The room had been made available to us and was ready on our arrival after a morning flight. It was a lovely en suite room - very spacious, clean and comfortable. David was able to give us a wealth of information about the city, its bus routes, and local attractions. We had been recommended a local Italian restaurant, La Favorita - (around a 5 minute walk away) by Emma, and we had pre-booked a table for our first night. We were glad that we had booked, as it was very busy, and by the end of the meal we understood why. We booked a table again, for two nights later. The Capital Residence is around a 15-20 minute leisurely walk into the city. The local bus route has 'stops' in Pilrig Street, and just a few minutes walk from the front door. As for the breakfasts - we had deliciously cooked breakfasts every morning, tea, fresh coffee, toast, plus there was an array of continental choices on offer - juices, cereals, yogurts, pastries, muffins, fresh fruits, and various teas. We were spoit for choice. Emma, Nicola and David were all very welcoming hosts, and made our stay extra special. We'd love to return to the beautiful city of Edinburgh one day, and would without doubt book another stay at the Capital Residence. We can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay. Dave had helped in so many different ways then one. The rooms, food and atmosphere was fantastic. I felt like i was at home when i stayed here. the king double room was fantastic and i would reccomend this place to everyone i know.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo