“Terrible Service and only average food” 1 of 5 bubbles

Red Squirrel
Ranked #182 of 2,437 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: West End
Description: http://www.theedinburghblog.co.uk/eating-out/lothian-roads-red-squirrel-bar/06-05-2011/index.html
Tauranga
“Terrible Service and only average food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Tonight I was served a runny melted sundae without an essential ingredient when I mentioned it they bought me the wrong replacement telling me I had misremembered the menu and when they checked the menu and found I was correct they just walked away. I was the charged full price on my bill and when I spoke to the manager to complain he failed to address the situation in any way besides saying he would speak to the waitress in question.

If you cannot serve something as quoted on the menu then you owe the customer the option to cancel their order.

The rest of the meal was satisfactory - we will not return.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Cork, Ireland
“Great place for beer and a casual dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Went here on a cold November night and really enjoyed the cosy and welcoming atmosphere. Great selection on the menu of really interesting and unusual burgers, as well as plenty of local Scottish beers and ciders. We had the haggis burger and the red squirrel burger, 50p of the price of which goes to help conservation efforts for Scottish red squirrels. At £12 for two courses it's plenty affordable. Would happily return!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank LiviOnTour
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“great place for a breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

my husband and i had been looking for a nice place to have a breakfast as we had stayed in edinburgh overnight the red squirrel was that place friendly and good service greeted with a smile we ordered two teas and two breakfasts all i can say is we thoroughly enjoyed it good food plenty on our plates good prices definatley recommend this place well done and thanks we will be returning

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank stuart f
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Stale bread”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

I was one of the party served the stale bread and it really was quite a shocking experience. I had recommended the red squirrel as I had been before and had been impressed. I don't know what has gone wrong but they need to put it right fast as there is plenty of competition in the vicinity. The bread was clearly stale and the waitress did not even argue just disappeared. We had already waited 40 mins for our order. We then found out that they had run out of bread and were offered oatcakes out of a packet! Clearly they had deliberately served the stale bread hoping we would not notice. The staff seem very young and clueless. No apology, we insisted the item was removed from the bill and it eventually was - we had only eaten a mouthful of stale bread. They are fortunate we did not report them to environmental health. Avoid.

Visited December 2013
yorkshire
“Terrible. Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Asked for an 'artisan platter' This consisted if cheap white stale bread cheap supermarket unripe Brie and the worst type of cheap supermarket cheddar. Rounded off with a handful of limp undressed rocket and some poor quality cheap and nasty olives. When the stale bread was mentioned staff were rude and said we had eaten some so we should pay! Unbelievable! The manager bye the way looked extremely young and inexperienced. Really avoid this place it is situated to trap tourists on Lothian road There are many better places nearby.