“Not bad. Not superb.”

Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #80 of 2,449 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Nepali
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant is a Authentic Nepalese and Indian restaurant based in the Heart of Edinburgh. This popular restaurant offers a unique journey through the Nepalese cuisine. As well as maintaining the authenticity of the food, Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant strives to elevate the Friendly and relaxed dining experience by following the changing food trends in Nepal. To join us please make a Online Reservation using our Online Booking Form. Gurkha Cafe & Resaurant has an extensive variety of extraordinary Nepalese delicacies as well as Indian all time favorite which are all prepared for a fantastic palate.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not bad. Not superb.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

A nice little place, but not outstanding in any way. The food was enjoyable, but I've had better elsewhere.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Backpacker_Bill
Gurkha C, Public Relations Manager at Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. Glad to hear that you found our food enjoyable but I was wondering the next few lines can explain what happened when you were in. We always try the best to make our people feel with bit of friendliness, affection and love but I am sorry to hear you didn’t live up to expectation.
You have not explained what food you had and what was wrong with it which would be helpful to me to understand you review and to give you a constructive response. It would be helpful if you have mentioned how it should be done so we can work on to improve our service.
Trip advisor is a great way to put across both points of view. Thanks again you for your review I'm sure people can appreciate we can’t keep everyone happy with different expectations but we will always try our best and it most case's we are making customers happy. so no hard feelings my friend

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Visited for the first time, taking my family out for a meal and I could not fault it. The food is reasonably priced, very good portions, nice atmosphere and the staff were quick and friendly. I had the lamb khutta, which I will be having again! The lamb was cooked perfectly.

Visited May 2013
Gurkha C, Public Relations Manager at Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Rachel,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review . we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal and service at Gurkha cafe. we always try the best to make our people feel with bit of friendliness, affection and love -:). I do remember you, your mom and dad siting near to bar and it was very nice to have you round . Thanks again for your lovely review and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Gurkha soon -:).
Dublin
“Fantastic meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stumbled upon this place while wandering around the Edinburgh tourist restaurants. Had a really lovely meal. Staff were exceptionally friendly. One minor quibble was that they didn't offer us dessert. We would have eaten some but by the time the waiter returned, the mood was gone. So they lost out! Otherwise, would highly recommend. Especially the lamb shank!

Hi there,
Thanks for your lovely review.
Pleased to hear that you found our food tasty and service friendly. Thanks again for your wonderful review and recommending us to everyone. we Look forward to seeing you again.
North Queensferry, United Kingdom
“Consistently very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Have been here a few times now, mostly to try the lunch deal which consists of a selection of curries plus nan for a set price. This was always reasonably priced, copiously dished out, and of first rate quality.

I visited for dinner recently and was pleased that the expanded menu offers plenty of choice, and the quality is still brilliant. However, given that the evening dishes are more expensive, I was a little disappointed by the size of the portions which were barely different from the small lunch dishes. I really needed a full portion of rice and nan to feel well fed, which is not usual since I barely touch the accompaniments.

Nonetheless, It's still a good reliable stop off after a day in the town. Recommended!

Livingston, United Kingdom
“Fantastic curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went in for evening meal with wife & Mum. Good menu choice and great friendly service.

Poppadoms for starter were very nice.
We had mixed pakora and steamed dumplings next - every dish was nicely presented and tasted great.
For main I had Poleko Bhale Kukhura which was wonderful, Mum had Bhuteko Khasi which she enjoyed and I had to finish for her !! and my Wife had the mixed kebab platter which she loved.

All in all a really nice meal and pretty reasonable price wise. Would definitely go again