“Brilliant value for money!”

Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #82 of 2,505 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Nepali
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant is a Authentic Nepalese and Indian restaurant based in the Heart of Edinburgh. This popular restaurant offers a unique journey through the Nepalese cuisine. As well as maintaining the authenticity of the food, Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant strives to elevate the Friendly and relaxed dining experience by following the changing food trends in Nepal. To join us please make a Online Reservation using our Online Booking Form. Gurkha Cafe & Resaurant has an extensive variety of extraordinary Nepalese delicacies as well as Indian all time favorite which are all prepared for a fantastic palate.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Brilliant value for money!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

What others have said is true: this restaurant offers excellent service, good food and great value for money.

The menu is varied without being too lengthy, and the staff are happy to spice the dishes according to your liking. There is a good range of beers and wines - lassis were also available, but we didn't partake.

I can thoroughly recommend the mo mo starter - both the chicken and vegetable versions are delicious.

I'm sure we'll be back!

• Visited January 2013
Gurkha C, Public Relations Manager at Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear mebanana,
Thank you so much for your kind review. Pleased to hear that you found our food and service excellent as your friends said. Our team always try the best to make our guest feel with bit of affection and love -:). Thanks again for recommending us for every one and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Gurkha soon -:).

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sandy, United Kingdom
“First try of Nepalese, but certainly not the last!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had heard good things about the Gurkha cafe and we were not disappointed, the food was wonderful and very fresh. The staff were friendly and very accommodating without being intrusive, even bought water when the gorgeous spicy chicken starter caught me a bit! Definitely recommend people visit, all the food was beautiful, so much flavour and so fresh. Also loved the knives which were in the shape of mini kukhri!

Hi Clare,
Thanks for taking time to reviewing us. we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our food and service. Thanks again for recommending us and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back here when you are in Edinburgh.
south yorkshire
“how it should be done!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

In Edinburgh for a short break we happened to be passing the Gurkha Cafe and thought about it but went to the pub instead intending to find an Italian instead, the barman was being very helpful and advised various places to go and then I asked about the Gurkha, he said the food was good and the staff were helpful, he convinced us. The staff were welcoming ,very helpful ,and advised us on the various dishes we hadn't heard of, our meal was absolutely superb ,beautifully presented and exceptional in every way. The problem with writing good reviews is that the next time you want to visit the place is full,well this time I'll take that risk and state that if you want fabulous food coupled with 5 star service then you'll not go far wrong . Try it.

Dear Varonda,
Thank you for your kind review.
Thank so much to neighbour barman for our providing our information and recommending us. We are also flattered by your kind words regarding the quality of food and service by our team as it helps to inspire and motivate us. Thanks again for recommending and writing about us. we look forward to seeing you both when you are in Edinburgh -:).
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant - Excellent”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I dropped into the Gurkha Cafe on a Sunday evening as I was passing thinking I would give it a try. I was immediately made very welcome by the friendly staff. After a delicious mixed pakora I ordered the Lamb Madras. The helpful waiter asked If I liked the Madras hot which I confirmed. I can say that it was one of the most satisfying Indian/Nepalese meals I've ever had. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. The waiter spent a considerable but not intrusive amount of time chatting to me.The restaurant itself, a former Italian restaurant I used to visit regularly, is well decorated and despite looking small from the outside is much bigger towards the back. There was a large party of Indian/Nepalese eating there during my visit so that was also a good sign.The small bowl of aniseed afterwards was also a nice touch. I will be back again.

• Visited December 2012
Gurkha C, Public Relations Manager at Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Jim,
Thank you for your lovely review. we are glad to hear that you enjoyed our food and service. It was really nice to talk to you too -:). Thanks Jim for recommending us for everyone and writing in details about us. we look forward to seeing you soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“3rd visit - still just as happy!”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I recently re-visited the Gurkha Cafe with 8 friends for my birthday, and we all received excellent service and lovely food. The waiters honestly couldn't have done more for us, and when they found out it was my birthday they were very generous.
Although I did really enjoy the food, I must admit, I preferred the tapas style menu. However, that won't stop me returning in the not so distant future!

• Visited January 2013
Gurkha C, Public Relations Manager at Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hello there,

Thank you very much for your positive comment regarding birthday party at Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant. I am glad that your third visit found suitable option to your liking and that you thoroughly enjoyed everything. We are looking forward to welcome you back very soon.

Kind Regards,