“how it should be done!”

Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #80 of 2,568 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Nepali
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant is an authentic Nepalese and Indian restaurant based in the heart of Edinburgh. This popular restaurant offers a unique journey through the Nepalese cuisine. As well as maintaining the authenticity of the food, Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant strives to elevate the friendly and relaxed dining experience by following the changing food trends in Nepal. Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant has an extensive variety of extraordinary Nepalese delicacies as well as Indian all time favorites which are all prepared for a fantastic palate.
Reviewed January 24, 2013

In Edinburgh for a short break we happened to be passing the Gurkha Cafe and thought about it but went to the pub instead intending to find an Italian instead, the barman was being very helpful and advised various places to go and then I asked about the Gurkha, he said the food was good and the staff were helpful, he convinced us. The staff were welcoming ,very helpful ,and advised us on the various dishes we hadn't heard of, our meal was absolutely superb ,beautifully presented and exceptional in every way. The problem with writing good reviews is that the next time you want to visit the place is full,well this time I'll take that risk and state that if you want fabulous food coupled with 5 star service then you'll not go far wrong . Try it.

Gurkha C, Public Relations Manager at Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Varonda,
Thank you for your kind review.
Thank so much to neighbour barman for our providing our information and recommending us. We are also flattered by your kind words regarding the quality of food and service by our team as it helps to inspire and motivate us. Thanks again for recommending and writing about us. we look forward to seeing you both when you are in Edinburgh -:).

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I dropped into the Gurkha Cafe on a Sunday evening as I was passing thinking I would give it a try. I was immediately made very welcome by the friendly staff. After a delicious mixed pakora I ordered the Lamb Madras. The helpful waiter asked If I liked the Madras hot which I confirmed. I can say that it was one of the most satisfying Indian/Nepalese meals I've ever had. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. The waiter spent a considerable but not intrusive amount of time chatting to me.The restaurant itself, a former Italian restaurant I used to visit regularly, is well decorated and despite looking small from the outside is much bigger towards the back. There was a large party of Indian/Nepalese eating there during my visit so that was also a good sign.The small bowl of aniseed afterwards was also a nice touch. I will be back again.

Gurkha C, Public Relations Manager at Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Jim,
Thank you for your lovely review. we are glad to hear that you enjoyed our food and service. It was really nice to talk to you too -:). Thanks Jim for recommending us for everyone and writing in details about us. we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I recently re-visited the Gurkha Cafe with 8 friends for my birthday, and we all received excellent service and lovely food. The waiters honestly couldn't have done more for us, and when they found out it was my birthday they were very generous.
Although I did really enjoy the food, I must admit, I preferred the tapas style menu. However, that won't stop me returning in the not so distant future!

Gurkha C, Public Relations Manager at Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Hello there,

Thank you very much for your positive comment regarding birthday party at Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant. I am glad that your third visit found suitable option to your liking and that you thoroughly enjoyed everything. We are looking forward to welcome you back very soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were searching around the royal mile and this one stood uot as looking a little bit different. We were not disappointed. They sereve wonderful Nepalise and Idian food. It just made a change from the usual curry as there were some different spices in there to give it a unique flavour. The staff were very helpful and a couple spent a while chatting to us which made it feel homely. We even were given a free drink before we left! We were only in Edinburgh for a few days but will definately be back on our next visit!

Hello there,

Thank you for posting positive comments and I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your dining experience with us. I have shared your experience with kitchen and front of the house team. looking forward to see you very soon.

Kind Regards..

Gurkha cafe Team

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Lots of choices of restaurants on offer in Edinburgh and we picked this as a "lucky dip" after walking past earlier in the day. This is definitely somewhere you must try, the staff are genuinely friendly, helpful and caring. The food is very good, well presented and very tasty the staff will help you make the best choice to help you enjoy your experience there. The lay out is small at the front so please do not be put off if appears not busy, the restaurant open ups towards the back. The word cafe possibly would put people off but this is a top 20 restaurant in Edinburgh so please do not be put off.

Hello there,

Many thanks for your kind comment for Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant. I am delighted that you found our food and service lovely. Your king words helps us to inspire and motivate. With regards to the word "Cafe", our team is planning to bring some changes in upcoming days. I do hope that we will have pleasure in welcoming you back to our restaurant very soon.

Kind Regards,