“OK but would not rush back.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant

Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #77 of 2,437 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Nepali
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant is a Authentic Nepalese and Indian restaurant based in the Heart of Edinburgh. This popular restaurant offers a unique journey through the Nepalese cuisine. As well as maintaining the authenticity of the food, Gurkha Cafe & Restaurant strives to elevate the Friendly and relaxed dining experience by following the changing food trends in Nepal. To join us please make a Online Reservation using our Online Booking Form. Gurkha Cafe & Resaurant has an extensive variety of extraordinary Nepalese delicacies as well as Indian all time favorite which are all prepared for a fantastic palate.
Scotland, UK
“OK but would not rush back.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We visited for a light lunch on a weekday. The place appeared to be empty but the fact that there was a Trip Advisor recommendation on prominent display in the window tempted us in.
The first impression was that the interior was in near-darkness but our eyes soon adjusted from the gloom outside to the gloom inside. Decor was a kind of rustic atmosphere with Nepalese artifacts and posters. On the plus side, it was nice to hear some Nepali music during our meal.

The welcome was warm but service was a tad inexperienced or even clumsy. Although we only ordered a light lunch, I was slightly disappointed with the curry when it arrived. It lacked excitement of taste and seemed very dry and short on sauce to wet/mix with the rice.

Overall I could not complain as the price was modest and the meal adequate. Possibly a better place to visit in an evening but I feel that the kitchen may struggle to get meals to tables in an acceptable time if there are more customers.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ScotGold

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Went there on trip advisor recommendation. Being a curry lover I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and the Nepalese factor made the dishes something different from the norm. All dishes were cooked to our heat preference, and well presented. This place deserves to be busy every night, give it a try, you won't be disappointed

Massachusetts
“What we were looking for.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I were looking for good Indian food while visiting the UK. We were not disappointed. Gurkha Cafe had great food and the service was excellent. We had the Chicken Tikka Masala, which I know is sort of a national dish here in UK. We've had it many other places and Gurkha was amoung the best we've ever had. Also, the restaurant was very clean. The waiter cleaned our table and brought new silverware after each course. Not a crumb or dust ball could be seen on the floor. Atmosphere was bright and cheery with soft Indian music playing in the background. It really was a great meal. Would definitely go back next time I'm in Edinborgh.

Newcastle
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Went in based on trip advisor reviews and was not let down, food was amazing and the service was excellent.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not a good night for the staff or customers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I visited on Saturday the 20th having booked in for 7.30. I ordered pompadoms, chutney/dips and a cucumber salad. The pompadoms and chutney arrived quite quickly but the salad took 30 mins to arrive. Once it did arrive the chutney and other dips had been consumed with half of the popadoms. The amount of dips given was very very small. I asked for a refresh of the thimbles and another 20 minutes elapsed with no sign of them. The cucumber salad was a normal salad with a few slices of cucumber, one of which was the end bit you get when it has been left exposed. I spoke to the manager and said that Iwas unhappy to pay for the starter as it had arrived in various stages, was poor and still not complete (even after an hour) so I had not eaten it and he agreed that it was not acceptable. The main course then arrived but had clearly been prepared earlier and left to await the completion of the 1st course (1 hour) and so was cool to the touch. After this I decided to leave and the manager agreed to waive all charges. I don't like to leave bad reviews and having read the previous comments I can only presume it was a bad night for the team and thus a bad experience for the customers (others left disgruntled as well)

• 2 of 5 bubbles