“Cheap place to stay, but manage your expectations”

CityLivein Grove Street
Ranked #70 of 218 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Pros:
- Cheap place to stay which is only 5 mins walk for the Haymarket Train station
- Close to attractions like Edinburgh castle, about 15mins walk
- En-suite bathroom with air-conditioning

Cons:
- No wifi, even if you want to pay for it. Even though the hotel website claims that wifi is available at a fee, there is in fact, no wifi available even if you want to pay for it. They simply do not have wireless internet, period. But, you can opt to use the LAN cable and pay for connection on your PC.This is a big inconvenience for travelers using smartphones or Ipad.
- Terrible bed. Having traveled around Europe for 2 months, this is probably the worst bed i had of all the places i stayed, i could feel the spring of the mattress against my bones as i lay on the bed. It was almost as if they draped a piece of cloth over the springs and called it a bed.
- Loud slamming doors. This, i can't blame the hotel, it was the inconsiderate guests who seem to think that it's perfectly alright to slam their door in the wee hours of the morning because if they're awake, everyone else is awake too.
- Weird housekeeping. They empty the bin but do not replace the plastic lining in the bin. Fold the bathroom mat and place it near the shower area but did make the bed. It's like the housekeeper forgot that there's a bedroom attached to the bathroom.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed for one night during the fringe as was up seeing my daughter perform. Easily accessible from airport using the bus (stop at Haymarket Station), 20 min walk or £6 cab fare into the centre. The price was excellent, the staff friendly and helpful and the room basic but spotlessly clean with a very comfy bed. I was a little nervous that it appeared to be part of a shared flat but in reality the communal area is off the corridor of the 'flat' just like the rooms so really it is just like a hotel as you have you own on-suite shower room. However, what really let it down was the paper thin walls and the noise of the commings and goings of those anonimous people who shared the same 'flat' as you. Outside noise was surprisingly quiet, it was the continual door slamming which went on until 3 am. I did not sleep a wink .... I had to be up at 5.30 am to catch a plane but from 11.30 am the doors continually banged and crashed until the small wee hours, I could hear snoring in the room next to me and conversations going on around me. With no carpeting, just laminated flooring, everything echoed and despite the fact that you were technically in a 'shared' apartment, no one seems to show the slightest bit of respect for those around them.
If there is a large group of you and you can manged to all share a flat, this might be perfect but if you only want one room then you should take care. If you are a light sleeper and plan a reasonably early night then this should really be avoided but if you plan to stay out late and not give a hoot about anyone around you then this might be just up your street.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I was here during the Fringe Festival and prices for accomodations syrocketed. So while I feel I paid more for this hotel than I should have, it was the case across the board for all the hotels in Edinburgh. I lucked out and my room - I went with a double room with it's own kitchen - was available at 10 am when I arrived from the airport (I had just planned to check my bag). The hotel is run more like a hostel than a hotel. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I had no plans to use the kitchen, but it seemed well equipped. There was no TV in the room, but I was out all day long, only returning at night to sleep so this didn't bother me. I thought that there was free wifi when I booked, but there is not. You can pay $3 to rent an ethernet cord and pay a lot of money to use the internet for not much time. I think a day pass was $27. I didn't bother with that. The towels were nice and the bathroom was clean. There was a long queue to check out as check out is early - 10 am - and it seemed that the entire place hit checkout at the same time on Sunday. You can store your bag at the hotel, with two options, a nonsecure room for free or behind the desk securely for $3. The hotel is a mile from downtown, but the bus stop is just at the end of the road and you can catch a bus for $1.40 into town, but I mostly just walked. There is a grocery store around the corner and a few decent brunch places. If I came back for the Fringe Festival again, I would book earlier and try to get a place right in town, but overall, I was happy with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed here for one night for a gig. Great location - easy walk from Haymarket train station. Very comfy bed and nice clean bed linen/comfy pillows. Shower head needed cleaned as it was covered in mildew ( pet hate of mine) but facilities were good. No TV but I wish they had student digs like this when I was a student! The reception area has vending machines with hot drinks and confectionary. The receptionist wasn't very professional and failed to activate my electronic key so I had to return to reception. Expensive for what it is though.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Cannot be faulted. Friendly staff on reception and very helpful. Central location..En suite rooms with shared kitchen,no too well equipped for cooking for a dinner party, but very clean and ideal for basic meals. Will certainly use again, but as they are normally student quarters they are only available in the holidays.

1  Thank MiddleEnglandCharlie
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed in a standard room for a combined business trip/city break. The room was spotless, modern and quiet with clean white bed sheets, big windows, good shower and basic kitchenette. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The location was good. The value for money was absolutely excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Everything looked great. It's a simple student accommodation that they use as hotel during school breaks. The price is just amazing if it wasn't for few things:
When I arrived I needed to wait to have my room cleaned, even though it was after 3pm. In my second day housekeeping just showed up after 5pm. And worse than that was having some of my personal belongings taken away during my stay, as the housekeeping thought I had left the hotel and I had forgotten all my toiletry (zipped and organized inside a toiletry bag) and a purse, hanging behind the door.
When I asked at reception for my belongings they promptly looked for it, but my surprise was when I received it back with not only all my stuff messed up but also missing my perfume (that I can remember - I don't know if something else was/is missing). I could get it back but anyway, even thought they said it has fallen from my toiletry bag, it would need to do it through 2 zipped pockets and I don't thing it's an easy thing to happen.
Be careful with your personal belongings! Will not stay there again!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo