“Not up to Holiday Inn standard”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #108 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Having stayed in a number of Holiday Inns in various countries (including England), we were very disappointed with this ageing hotel that also is too far from the city center to be convenient. The room, and in particular the small bathroom in what was supposed to an executive room (an upgrade for a platinum IHG card member) felt tired and you could hear the toilet flushing in the room above. Management need to invest in this hotel to bring into the modern era.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul D
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you very much for your review, we always welcome and value the views of our Platinum Priority Club Rewards members.

While there are three frequent bus services from the hotel taking less than 15 minutes to travel the 2.5 miles into the heart of Edinburgh City Centre, I'm sorry to hear you did not find our location convenient for your visit.

Our team are always on hand to give you honest and accurate information ahead of your arrival to help you plan your visit, and I apologise if you were given the impression that were were closer the the city centre.

Many thanks again for taking the time to submit a review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel, whether for business or leisure.

Craig
craig.small@ihg.com

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Edinburgh

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times now, when visiting the zoo with our son. This time Grandma came along as well and like us, was impressed with the staff - very friendly & helpful( a member of staff was leaving as we came through the door, but still offered us help with our bags). The location is right next door to the zoo, and the bus stop directly outside makes travelling to/from the city centre very easy. Room was clean & bathroom facilities good - bath & shower and plenty of towels.
We used the pool on the last day and this was very quiet - lovely Jacuzzi spa too. Again staff were very helpful, checking on my son in the mens changing room ,without me asking, when I was changed before him. Only downside this time was the restaurant. We had booked dinner bed & breakfast as always - the childrens menu was disappointing as there was a child's buffet rather than a set menu - and it was very basic -chicken nuggets/fishfingers/chips/beans. In the past my son has either had the carvery(not on offer either night of our stay) or child's cottage pie/chilli, and it has always looked like a mini adult meal, tasty & nutritious. Not all children want fishfingers or nuggets!! The adult menu was lovely, however there were only a couple of choices included - everything else cost an extra £2.50 (same with starters & desserts).The price of the other dishes did not vary much from the included dishes so I don't understand why there was so little included. (We have just returned from the Chester Holiday Inn recently - priority club member!- and their restaurant choice was amazing and all included in the price!!) Breakfast was lovely and plenty of choice as always but I would probably just book B&B in future so we can all have a good meal.

Room Tip: Never had a proble with room no matter where located
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank elliottsuk
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We're all very happy that you were well looked after and that the staff were as helpful as ever in assisting with luggage and looking after your son, and Grandma, of course.

I'm sorry to hear the carvery was not an option during your stay, we normally offer that option over weekends. It seems that we did not make you aware of our full range of dining options during your stay, and I apologise for that. We do have an 'Eat Anytime, Anywhere' scheme which allows you to have a bit more choice for your inclusive meals, opening up options from Sampans Oriental Restaurant as well as from the Bar Menu.

We will certainly take your comments on board and use the feedback to continually improve our service and look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed for one night room only for £80 which I thought was slightly too high. I had a bit of a wait to check in, but was then upgraded without asking to an executive room. The room and bathroom were modern and freshly decorated, with free water and chocolate, a fluffy bathrobe, a fridge, safe, and tea/coffee making facilities. Unfortunately it was near the elevator and rooftop air-conditioning units, so it was not the quiet room I had requested. I did sleep well though.
I used the pool and sauna without having to book, both were good and the jacuzzi was nice and warm. A soft drink in the hotel bar cost 80p, very reasonable. I pre-ordered breakfast and paid £10.95 for breakfast in bed, the sausages were delicious.
The reception staff looked after my overnight bag while I spent the day at the zoo next door (if going pre-book your panda viewing) and offered to call me a cab when I went back to collect it.
I liked this hotel, but there were a few minor niggles. One cup in my room had not been washed. There was no pen in my room - I had to fill in my breakfast order with my eyebrow pencil! The pool area could do with a steam room. The hair dryer was one of those rubbish in-drawer ones with a short lead, so I had to dry my hair sitting down at the desk. The chair had a very high back so I really struggled to dry my hair at the back. Take your own hair dryer. Otherwise all good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank T T

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay at Holiday Inn Edinburgh. It's great to hear that you enjoyed breakfast in bed and used our Spirit Health Club facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My partner is a Priority Club Member and therefore stays in a lot of Holiday Inn's, infact we have previously stayed in this one 2 yrs ago.
This stay was in a family room and we had 2 kids with us, on a bed, breakfast and evening meal deal. No one had explained that the childrens meal would be a buffet which consisted of Fishfingers, chicken nuggets, chips, beans or a dried up pasta dish. There were no vegetables or salad bar :( However, everything was at least hot.
We ordered our meal and had to pay extra to have steak as its not included on the 'meal deal'
Our starter was a mushroom dish which was soggy and tasteless.
The main course finally arrived after 45 mins, they'd managed to get the order the wrong way round and it had to be sent back. An hour and 10mins later our food arrived. The steak was the oldest, chewiest piece of meat I've tasted. I would have been disappointed had I paid £18 for it.
The chef did apologise and paid for us to have a drink whilst we are waiting.
The service was appalling and the staff rude.
We did use the pool and spa whilst here and found those to be clean and comfortable.
As I have said, the main bed was uncomfortable and incredibly small (last time we had a king size bed, this time it was a small double) The kids each had single beds so that did make a change from having a sofa bed.
Breakfast was amazing.....lots of choice, everything piping hot!! Coffee would have been better to be self service as we had to try and catch a member of staff when we needed a top up.
Excellent breakfast choices and plenty of fruit for the kids
Car parking was good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ZoeandStu

We really appreciate you taking the time to write your feedback and value your comments. Firstly. I'm glad to hear that you found the swimming pool and spa clean and comfortable. Also, we're all happy to hear your positive feedback on the breakfast choice and quality.

It is disappointing to hear that your evening meal wan't enjoyed as much as the rest of your stay, particularly since we seemed to get this right the first time you stayed. We absolutely pride ourselves with our friendly team and service standards, and this is the most surprising area of your feedback. I sincerely apologise for any of our team appearing to be rude and this affecting the service of the meal. I have passed your comments onto our Food and Beverage Manager to help us avoid similar situations in future, and aspire to exceed the Holiday Inn standards you are used to as a Priority Club member.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay and I hope we can welcome you back to show you the service we are really capable of.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

All the staff at this hotel were very attentive, from the moment you check in to the moment you leave. As per usual with this chain the breakfast is great value and they kept the coffee coming!

A special mention goes to Gareth who was extremely helpful on the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your breakfast with us and found the team to be so helpful. I have passed your very kind feedback onto Gareth and he is delighted that you were so happy with the service he provided.

I think we have a strong contender for employee of the month there!

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Edinburgh; business or leisure.

Craig
craig.small@ihg.com

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Been frequenting this hotel for a number of years, great parking and easy access to the city are highlights, also great views to the south of the hotel.

Rooms are a little off the pace and bathrooms in particular, with old fashioned showers going back as long as I have been visiting (15 years or so).

In saying this it remains a very busy hotel. And one of my favourites, brilliant breakfast which Hamish marshall's expertly and thoroughly professional staff throughout.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Davidwilson187

It is a pleasure to continue serving one of our most regular guests. Thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Hamish is very pleased to know he shines as an example of our team's excellent service standards.

We all look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was easy to get to by car with plenty of free parking. Staff very friendly and Evan though arrived before we could check in allowed us to leave the car and told us which bus to jump on to get into the city. Buses every 5 minutes and cost £3.50 for a day pass. You can't go wrong. Make sure you have the correct change though as they don't give you any change. The hotel told us this. The rooms were spacious and very clean. Breakfast was expensive, especially when nearby there are some really good cafes at half the price.
The pool was nice and clean and the sauna was just what we needed after a long day in the city centre.

1  Thank AndyTaylorUK

I'm glad to hear we managed to make you aware of the exact change policy of the buses before you got caught out on your way into the city centre.

It is great to hear you found your stay so comfortable and the cleanliness of rooms to a high standard.

There's never a problem arriving before the check-in time of 14:00, we'll either be able to check you in to a room that was departed early or at the very least look after your luggage while you continue your day as planned.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to seeing you again.