“Hidden Charges!”

Ranked #108 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
UK
“Hidden Charges!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn recently and although the hotel was lovely and the pool very welcome I thought the food could of been better and the rooms warmer. We mentioned the rooms to reception and they tried their best to sort it, even moving one of our party to another room and offering portable heaters to others if we wanted them.
The big gripe (VERY BIG GRIPE) were the hidden charges in the restaurant and coffee bar. 12.5% surcharge in the restaurant and 10% at the coffee bar. These charges aren't mentioned and guests simply pay it oblivious that they've been added. I challenged the surcharge and was told if I didn't want to pay it I didn't have to but only the manager could take it off the bill. The manager then became very busy during our stay.!!!
There were quite a few of us eating on the Saturday night and the surcharge on the bill was £60. Who leaves a £60 tip after a meal!!!
Nice hotel let down by a rip off hidden surcharge system.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank andyc7
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear andyc7,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Ok, so me and my partner stay away a lot, we've tried many different hotels at different prices along the way. Now this was my first experience of a Holiday Inn, they aren't the cheapest hotels, nor are they the most expensive either. I have to say from check in until check out, I was not let down once and my expectations were surpassed.

Check in was cheerful, friendly and quick even with people coming in at the same time, the staff prioritize you rather than staring at a computer or taking a call. MASSIVE brownie points here. We also asked a lot of questions about local places / bus routes all sorts to be frank and they were so helpful, not to mention giving you a ticket that tells you bus prices, route numbers, times etc. Obviously they put this together themselves. So again HUGELY impressed.

The room was modern, warm, immaculate and fab amenities at hand. The TV was an LG 40" flatty with a decent selection of channels that actually worked as well! The hotel also has gym , swimming pool and on site beauty treatments you can use and purchase massages etc. The pool and gym are inclusive.

Ok so onto the breakfast..... I am not exaggerating when I say this was one of the BEST I have eaten, full stop. There was a selection of full English, pastries, cereal, pancakes, fruit, meats, you name it they have it. I had the full English and croissants, it was fresh, tasty superbly cooked and not batch cooked so there was too much and it went nasty like a lot of hotels have problems with. It was that good, it makes me wish this hotel was local so I could go and get a weekend fry up!

Service every step of the way was superb, no miserable or unhappy rude staff. Well engaged and accommodating with every contact we made. We had treatments at the Spa, good value and highly recommend the hot stones massage. Totally relaxed me and took the stress away from normal life!

I cannot stress how good this hotel is and trust me when I say, you will not regret a stay here.

Holiday Inn you just found yourselves two new repeat customers! Oh and before I forget to mention we signed up to their priority club (no fee!) which also allowed us to stay in hotel room until 2pm, with no further charge . We will also begin collecting points with the group, smashing!

Room Tip: Use the SPA! Have their breakfast its more than worth the money!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HIEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
What a wonderful review. We're all very happy to hear that our service and amenities exceeded your expectations.

It will be a pleasure to have you stay with us again, if the breakfast doesn't lure you back hopefully the friendliness of the team will!

Stockton on Tees
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night bed and breakfast over the easter weekend. We paid extra to pay in the deluxe room, it was quite basic but the bed was comfy, there was a flat screen tv with many channels and was very clean! Breakfast was good, lots of choice and good service by the staff. We were on the third floor facing the main road, I was surprised how quiet it was! I thought it would be loud due to passing traffic but it wasnt an issue. There is free hotel parking which is what drew me to the hotel as city hotels dont have anywhere to park. Location was great for us, literally right next door to the zoo and theres a bus stop outside of the hotel with buses running every 5-10 mins into the city - a 15 min journey and only £1.50. I would definitely stay here again if travelling on a budget. I havent seen the standard room but for the small difference in price i would recommend the deluxe.

• Stayed March 2013
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. Really glad to hear the parking worked out for you, especially since we're frequented by local buses for the short ride into town.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel last minute, it was a secret hotel. So when I was told it was a holiday inn, I turned my nose up, I always thought they looked very office like.never wanted to stay in one . I must say, I was happy with my stay. Great staff, very clean, amazing breakfast. Swimming pool, gym . They let us check in a couple of hours early. Will probably stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
People's perception of Holiday Inn is often that of a budget brand, as it was back in the 50's when the brand started in the USA.

Since the re-brand in 2010 we have modernised and brought our brand into the 21st century. This hotel is a 4 star and the amenities such as the swimming pool, spa, on-site beauty therapy, Chinese restaurant as well as our signature Traders restaurant all help to really exceed the expectations of our guests.

We're happy to hear it worked.

Shetland Islands, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Bought this room as a mystery 4 star hotel in Edinburgh for £45. Free parking was advertised and that made all the difference. Great view from room. Enjoyed our morning visit to the pool and sauna. Would recommend without hesitation.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised to stay with us on your mystery 4 star hotel visit to Edinburgh.

Now that you are familiar with the hotel I hope we will see you return, the best internet rates available are through our website directly so you'll know you're getting the best deal.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Just got back from a 2 night stay at this hotel for my partners 50th birthday. Reception staff friendly & efficient, our family room was adequate with tea & coffee facilities. Free parking. What makes this hotel is the staff - friendly, cheerful and nothing is too much trouble. My partner found a birthday card in our room on arrival, and another card and birthday cake complete with candle from the dining room staff - and the food was good, we sampled an evening 3 course meal & 2 breakfasts. All in all a good hotel close to the town, right next to the zoo, with spa facilities, fab food & great staff, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it for a short city break.

Room Tip: 5th floor rooms have excellent views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and your partner had a great 50th birthday.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. See you again on your next visit!

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed March 27, 2013

While this hotel lives up to its Holiday Inn reputation. While everything comes as an extra if booked in advance it can offer good base (plenty of parking) on airport side of Edinburgh. Food was overpriced but perfectly adequate. The hotel was full while I was there but despite that the staff were very pleasant and efficient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 10111011
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear 10111011,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.