“great hotel”

Ranked #108 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dundee, United Kingdom
“great hotel”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

room was fantastic - very comfortable, bottles of water in room as well as given bottles by reception when we checked in. Booked the breakfast on checkin and saved £4 a head - good breakfast with a good selection of hot and cold dishes. Bar prices pretty steep for snacks so nipped out to a local chip shop for some supper!! Location great for a visit to the zoo - we had booked to see the pandas so we were first in the zoo next morning!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at the HI for two nights on thursday, I was In Edinburgh to visit the ZOO and attend a wedding, On check In Nicola was very helpful and pleasant, I arrived at the hotel early and just my luck there was a room ready. After dumping the bags in my room I noticed the room was spotlessly clean and the little bar of chocolate and water in the room was a nice touch. The bathroom was also clean and tidy. After My partner and I Had a long walk arond the zoo we returned to the hotel tired and hungry, we diceded to eat in the bar area, both of us ordered burgers and onion rings they were delicious I could not manage all of it. The chap serving our food (I forgotten his name but it started with an E) was also very nice. All of the recption staff were great and were happy to call us a taxi the next day when we had to get to the wedding. the only small issue i had was that i felt the room was very warm and i could ot get the air con to work (may have just been me) but it was nothing an open window could not fix!! As someone whom works in the hotel industry I know what standards to expect and the HI Lived up to these standards I unfortunatley did not use the spa or had breakfast but both looked great. All in all a great stay thank you to all the staff there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cher O
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel feels a little back to front when you get there with the car park not easy to get and form with luggage. However, once inside you are greeted by helpful and attentive staff.

Our room was very comfortable with a nice clean bathroom with nice toiletries. A little tired but not off putting.

The food is good and represents good value. The weekend rates do offer dinner bed and breakfast packages and they are good value.

Breakfast is good and plentiful and served buffet style. One thing that I found 'tacky' and off putting were things like beans, mushrooms and haggis and other items like scrambled eggs were served in battered old pans with equally battered old lids. It looked so unprofessional and so easy to rectify!!!

Nice fresh and bright bar with some nice wines on offer.

A short bus or taxi ride, or a gentle 25 minute stroll gets you into the City so the hotel is ideally suited for business or a weekend away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have just come back from spending 5 nights at this hotel. The hotel is situated right next to edingburgh zoo and a bus stop outside takes you directly to the city centre. This makes it an ideal location. The hotel itself has a very good gym with weights and various excersice machines.
Hotel kept very clean and staff very friendly.

Pros- Great location
Excellent facilities
Breakfast outstanding
Friendly staff
Clean

Cons- Food can be expensive for an evening meal
Room card tempermental

Would have rated this 5 star if i had not had to keep ketting my room key changed.
Would reccomend

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeen
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Holiday Inn really need to train their check in staff properly.When you offer a debit card on arrival and are told that as it is a debit card the whole amount for your stay will be taken immediately you presume that is what will happen. Not at this hotel - on following the fast check out option of handing back my key card in the envelope provided I was informed that despite what I had been informed on arrival my card had not been debited by only swiped. The young man dealing with me was quite pleasant but I can not say the same for his colleague who 3 times said that if a mistake was made it was not her problem!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HelenSAberdeen
HIEdinburgh, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I would like to say how sorry I am that we got it wrong on this occassion. An issue such as this is taken very seriously and I assure you the necessary corrective action will be taken.

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Whether good or bad, your feedback helps us to continually improve the service we offer.

regards,

Sarah Williamson
Front Office Manager
Midlands UK
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely 2 night stay here travelling for work. You never quite know what you'll get with a Holiday Inn but this was one of the best so far for me. Check in was easy, lots of near, free parking. Great for those visiting the zoo. I was travelling for work so had no time to visit but literally you are on the doorstep so I might have to bring my husband back as I notice they do stay/zoo packages. My room was nice, clean, a little tired maybe and towels a bit yellow but it's not the end of the world. The only thing was a horrible shrill ringing noise that would come through the vent in the bathroom and it would echo in the middle of the night- I woke up a couple if times wondering what in earth it was!! The food selection is good, I ate in the restaurant on the first night and had the fish which was nicely cooked. The mini scone with jam and cream was amazing! As a female travelling alone I felt happy to sit alone and eat and also in the bar area on the second night - there's plenty of room and you're not rushed through to leave, you can sit and read/work. I have a little grumble at the 10% service charge that's added automatically as I budget what my company allow for dinner and didn't expect this to be added as well. Breakfast is great and there is a good selection of hot and cold food. I used the gym which is pretty good but gets very busy at peak times. However on the second night I saw the lovely pool area, I was so impressed I purchased a swimming costume had had a swim and sauna which was lovely!! The pool is nice but again, gets crowded very quickly, it does have a nice spa feel about it. If you want to get out and about they also provide running routes as well which is very helpful.Everything else was great and it was really good value. One more request would be to have 'instructions' in the room for restaurants/bar descriptions and details of wifi/gym etc. overall really enjoyable and I will be back!

• Stayed February 2013
Northern Ireland
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This must be the only hotel in Scotland that gives you a view of flamingoes from your bedroom window. The Holiday Inn is located right next to Edinburgh Zoo. We were actually here for the rugby (disastrous Irish defeat at Murrayfield), but the proximity to the zoo meant that we had time to visit its most famous new residents, the pandas. There's a bus stop right outside and frequent services to and from the city centre and the airport. Murrayfield is a 20 minute walk. The hotel itself is very efficient, but the decor is a little tired. Our bath was clean, but very stained, and the bathroom was tiny. The double bed was "cosy", so in future, I'd request a twin room. The staff are friendly and helpful, particularly the breakfast waiters. The breakfast buffet is OK, but since it was a rugby weekend, there were HUGE queues for the cooked breakfast. Tip: get there early and try to bag a table on the upper level, at the front window. The views are stunning. And if you over-indulge, there's an excellent gym and small pool. My only major complaint about this hotel is the charge for Wi-Fi. It's unacceptable that a major international hotel group persists in charging for what is now a basic service.

Room Tip: Opt for twin beds rather than a double unless you want to be very cosy!