“room good, TV reception bad”
Review of Links Hotel

Links Hotel
Ranked #115 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We are a family of 4 (2 teenagers). Stayed 1 night. Room was just above pub but it was not noisy. Very nice family room, big, high ceilings, clean, bay window with sofa. The only issue was bad TV reception during world cup. Could not watch or listen to TV. We did not ask why...as were too tired. Parking is free at night and weekend. Would stay again, despite TV issue as beleive it was temporary and just our bad luck (should have asked for help).

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Robsthomson, General Manager at Links Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Good evening,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It will be small consolation but had you asked for assistance still would not have found a solution on this evening as the TV issue required a professional engineer to access our rooftop - it was remedied as quickly as possible and I hope it did not hamper your enjoyment too much. We have 8 large screens in our public areas with fantastic world cup atmospheres in recent weeks but after a long journey it is understandable why you wished to watch in the comfort of your room and I am sorry you were unable to do so.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 21, 2014

The good ...

Staff is excellent. Hotel in excellent location and parking is accessible even though it is public paid parking. Food is great! Decor is super trendy and modern! Rooms are very nice and updated.

The bad....

THE MATRESSES. Yes plural. We ended up swapping rooms because the first room was on a corner suite and the window did not have blackout curtains. This tends to be a huge issue during summer since daylight lasts till about 11pm or soo. The other issue was the damn mattress was soo shot that even though we had to flip it, we realized that the base was also in need of replacement. Literally when we would move around the springs were popping and unable to provide any support. Well......we swapped rooms and unfortunately ......SAME ISSUE. Huge disappointment. The springs would literally continue to pop up after we got out of the bed. FYI my husband and I are both fit so the problem wasn't us. Huge disappointment because the hotel was soo promising. I also noticed that the toilette roll holder was broken also. I kinda feel as though the manager has not been doing room checks with the cleaning staff and also that the cleaning staff is not reporting maintainence issues. Complete disconnect between the two. Again....why have they not replaced the damn MATTRESSES?! If we had to stay another night, we were prepared to find another hotel. Our sleep was that bad.

In addition to the shot mattresses, and items like spotty internet, forgotten wake up call, digital cable broken, broken toilette holder, broken soap dispenser in the shower, leaking hose for shower (which my husband fixed) - I regretfully give this hotel 3 stars.

Overall, if the management tightens up communication with the cleaning staff and actually does room inspections, this hotel could be 5 star. Unfortunately when a guest swaps rooms because a mattress is that terrible...it is unacceptable. I wish I could say I was being picky but it was I cannot make up something like that.

Room Tip: I would honestly request a room that has blackout curtains and also request staff to check the mattr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica F

Good afternoon,

Thank you for such a comprehensive and detailed review. As the recently appointed General Manager all feedback is vital to my development of the product and services we offer. I have had the pleasure of staying here a few times and I find the mattresses very comfortable and I am sorry that you felt otherwise.

I am delighted to have made a number of key appointments already and we have a very experienced Housekeeper joining us next week with a wealth of experience to assist my team and I in ensuring all rooms and in immaculate condition.

Thank you for taking the time to post a balanced and detailed review and I am sure we will see improvements very soon to the areas highlighted.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I haven’t written my review yet, even if I visited this hotel in September last year, as I still wasn’t sure how to evaluate and I wanted to be fair.
We visited as a group of 10 friends for 4 nights and the first impression was great, we mostly liked our rooms (even if there was a huge difference in a quality between a twin and a double- the twin was much better), staff were excellent and breakfast was lovely too. The position of the hotel was good too, we didn’t mind walking to the centre.
However, some people, including our twin-room, had problems with a lock, it wasn’t easy to open or close the door (It seemed to me I had a 4* room with a 2* door) We would be absolutely delighted but the last evening, before our flight home, two of us couldn’t get into their room as the lock was broken. They had to wait till late evening for some fitter to fix it, which was unpleasant. Fortunately, they were not a couple with a baby or elderly people, so they didn’t mind so much.
The manager compensated them by an open bill in a bar and some price reduction, which was nice and because of that I’m not going to evaluate them badly. I would probably stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a twin room- it's much bigger than a double.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Robsthomson, General Manager at Links Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Good afternoon,

As the newly appointed General Manager I am delighted to read that your stay with us was one which would encourage you to return. I shall certainly be working on any small issues which are brought to our attention to ensure our guest stays are as seamless and relaxing as possible. Feedback such as this in invaluable in assisting me to achieve this and I thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Kind regards

Reviewed June 4, 2014

The saying ... Don't judge a book by its cover definitely applies to this hotel. On arrival with my two children I wasn't certain what to expect. I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised. The staff member Chris who checked us in went above and beyond the level of service I have ever received. I am not an easy person to please and he managed. Nothing was to much trouble and he had a smile while sorting out my requests. Although there was a limited menu the food was fresh and well presented. All the staff were really friendly and I appreciated the fact that my children were not treated as a problem but were engaged with. The room was spotless the beds were very comfortable, loved the shower, the room was light and big enough for our needs. Even parking was not a problem. For the price we paid it was worth far more. Thank you for a fantastic stay and we will defiantly be back and recommending you to anyone we know that is going to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 1974LisaH

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As the newly appointed General Manager and with 2 children of my own I am doubly delighted that we made you and your family feel welcome. Chris is a real asset to us and I will be sure to share your feedback with him.

I have only yesterday appointed a new Head Chef and we already have our summer menus ready to roll out in the coming days so we will see improvements in our selection I am sure.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed here with my partner for one night on Saturday 31st May. The room was clean, staff were very friendly and funny. We had dinner at night and it was very nice and the drinks were not the most expensive I have ever had. Bed was comfy enough, good TV channels. No problems whatsoever. Would visit again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. Clean and friendly I am sure is at the top of many of our guests priorities and I am pleased that we delivered on both counts - with a touch of humour thrown in!

I look forward to welcoming you back in due course.

Best wishes

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I hadn't stayed here for over 10 years and we were pleasantly surprised at how nice the Links was this time. It was always nice but I have to say that both Bowral generally and Links House were better than ever.
The rooms aren't opulent, rather quaint and homely in the nicest way. Our room wasn't large but it was comfy and nice and we wouldn't want better.
Breakfast was great in the morning and it's worth a walk up the street to check out the lovely homes that border the golf course.
Everyone at Links was friendly, and as were were arriving late the nice lady (can't remember her name) booked us into a great little French restaurant ("onestra" or something like that), as we wanted to eat before arriving at the hotel.
If you like quality-quaint highland beauty then you will like this place but it's SO nice that it is a waste (in my opinion) not to have a look around the place, and the surrounding neighbourhood.

Room Tip: Get there early if you can and enjoy the Links House sitting room and the surrounding area
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Robsthomson, Manager at Links Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Bruntsfield itself is indeed blessed with a timeless beauty and we are so lucky to have the wonderful parkland on our doorstep. We on the other hand have progressed and our renovations have brought the rooms to a standard that we feel surpasses expectations on so many levels. I am delighted that we did not disappointed you and hope it is not another 10 years before you return!

With best wishes,

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Staying in the area for work week this was ideal. No parking.... But that was not an issue for us. Spacious room ver clean and comfortable. Really quiet... No traffic noise.
Bar food was good, with varied choice.
Would return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. First and foremost we endeavour to get the basics right so it is always gratifying to have this acknowledged. On street parking in many areas in Edinburgh can be awful but we are fortunate that pay and display spaces are plentiful and reasonably priced in comparison to other central hotels.

We look forward to seeing you return,

Kind regards